• Hello new members! Please sign up using Facebook, Gmail, Twitter or an Email Address! We are the friendliest electric bike group on the internet. All ebikers are welcome here, any riding style and any age!

PSA: Specialized Levo Turbo wiring harness failure

camus

Hi All. I have a 2016 Specialized Levo Turbo Expert I bought on the secondary market.

I've had an intermittent problem where the motor would seem to lose power intermittently. It was very subtle at first - almost as if the power was changed to eco by itself. The the motor would cut out completely here and there. Then it failed completely.

I was very worried at the prospect of an expensive repair (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Specialized warranty only applies to the original purchaser).

I did some troubleshooting and, as it turns out, one of the female connectors on the wiring harness to the battery some how got stretched out/compromised. I put a piece of alum foil in there and, wallah! Fixed and the motor was back to consistent full power.

See pic. As having a piece of foil is probably not best practice I've put in a request to my LBS to order a new harness. Still no word of ETA or price. Nevertheless, hope this post helps someone out.

Turbo Levo Expert female connectors fix on wiring harness.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

oldfatdudenicebike

camus! Thank you, it worked!

thanks for posting this - my levo expert is about 800 miles in, and was just cutting out... very frustrated was not enough to express my disappointment.... and, to my delight, your solution worked! when i inspected the harness and the female holes, i noticed they were wallowed out... your aluminum foil solution was the trick and i will always carry a wade in my camelback from now on. thanks again. oldfatdudenicebike

Henry Hester

Yes, it’s a little looser. It’s a “in the tool box” spare part y’all need. Your LBS will either warranty or sell you one for about $100. If they warranty and install, MAKE SURE they don’t route the cable through the holding clip. Use the clip to zip-tie the cable to the side. The clip is too tight and somehow pinches the cable into not communicating between battery and motor. Against Guru Chris at UK Berkshire Cycles, I actually eliminated the clip post and let the cable hang. Carry a spare for you and loved ones in need.

Gregk111

Same problem and the foil worked! The harness is ordered but it’s been a month so far and no eta ☹