Proposal: "The Saddle Club"

CloneWerks

Local time
5:52 PM
Anyone with any biking experience knows that finding just the right saddle can eat up quite a bit of time, money, and leave you with a box of "not quite the one" saddles. I'm wondering if maybe people would be interested in pooling our resources and listing out any extra saddles you have laying around so that we as a group can "test ride" them without committing to a purchase until we find something that fits right.

If anyone is interested in participating in the "Saddle Club" please list what you have following this template....
Make:
Model:
Width:
Materials:
Style (comfort, racing, etc)

Agreements for loaning, returns, et-al, can be handled by PM.

I might have a few different style seats i'm not going to use. I'll look then send you a msg.

thanks. I have to measure a "comfort saddle" I'm not going to use because the tongue is too wide for me and chafes the inside of my legs horribly. I'll list it here.

thanks. I have to measure a "comfort saddle" I'm not going to use because the tongue is too wide for me and chafes the inside of my legs horribly. I'll list it here.
no worries. you have a P.O. box to send to? I'm pretty sure i have like 3 different seats laying around somewhere

The saddle on my ebike can not be worse. My butt can hurt with only 20-minute riding.

Any C9 seat is great. I tried 3 different models all great. Memory foam cushion. Has air vents in middle which is a must. Have to have rear springs and not just rubber for suspension. Very comfortable

Part of the problem with saddle comfort is that no saddle will be comfortable for a long ride until the rider is conditioned to riding on a saddle. Generally, the most comfortable looking saddle will likely become painful on a long ride because it will restrict movement and use of some important muscles. You can’t sit on the muscles that your are using and stay comfortable.

Clothing, saddle height, angle, and fore and aft position along with riding position can make as much difference as the saddle itself.

I don’t like most saddles, but I did like the older Selle Flite saddles. Now I ride on a Fizik Aliante and have been very happy with it. It is of course a very personal choice and one size does not fit all.

Part of the problem with saddle comfort is that no saddle will be comfortable for a long ride until the rider is conditioned to riding on a saddle. Generally, the most comfortable looking saddle will likely become painful on a long ride because it will restrict movement and use of some important muscles. You can’t sit on the muscles that your are using and stay comfortable.

Clothing, saddle height, angle, and fore and aft position along with riding position can make as much difference as the saddle itself.

I don’t like most saddles, but I did like the older Selle Flite saddles. Now I ride on a Fizik Aliante and have been very happy with it. It is of course a very personal choice and one size does not fit all.
You're absolutely right about the rider having to be conditioned to the saddle. My body got conditioned very well to the C 9 versus any hard non giving saddle. I think the term saddle is perfect for most the hard seats that some riders like. They look like they are about as comfortable as a saddle on a horse. Actually on a horse is prob more comfortable. Sometimes just throw logic out the door and try new things like comfortable cushiony seats. Weight is no longer an issue due to being in an ebike.

I spent many hours on “hard” saddles. They really are not hard. They are more firm and supportive.

A wide and soft seat may be nice for short rides or for riders that use a lot of assist or throttle, but a wide and soft saddle restricts use of a large muscle group and can become very uncomfortable on long rides or if the rider is using a lot of effort. I don’t ride on a Fizik Aliante to be uncomfortable. I ride on it because it works for the type of riding that I do. The best saddle is the one that you never notice. Saddles are purpose specific. A cruiser rider will not want the same saddle as an endurance rider or a racer. It’s like a movie theater seat. Comfortable at first, but 2 hour in, a pain in the but.

I spent many hours on “hard” saddles. They really are not hard. They are more firm and supportive.

A wide and soft seat may be nice for short rides or for riders that use a lot of assist or throttle, but a wide and soft saddle restricts use of a large muscle group and can become very uncomfortable on long rides or if the rider is using a lot of effort. I don’t ride on a Fizik Aliante to be uncomfortable. I ride on it because it works for the type of riding that I do. The best saddle is the one that you never notice. Saddles are purpose specific. A cruiser rider will not want the same saddle as an endurance rider or a racer. It’s like a movie theater seat. Comfortable at first, but 2 hour in, a pain in the but.
It's a fact. At least in my world. 1st thing I did was to change out the stock foam cushy seat to a B67 Brooks saddle (my favorite) for upright riding. I pedal a lot, even with pas lvl 3. While I'm still breaking the saddle in (460 miles so far) I thought I wonder what that cushy seat feels like. So I swapped it out, and went for a eight mile ride. Total discomfort, sore inner thigh, hot spots on sit bones, and couldn't wait to get home. Swapped it out immediately to my B67. Total bliss. I might be bias as I've been using Brooks saddles since my 1st build in high school (1972). I bought a Brooks B17. Been a fan ever since. Not for everyone, but for me they work.

Back