Problem with pedal assist

sojourner

Local time
7:46 PM
My bike was produced for the "ride share" market. It was a closeout due to the company leaving the US market and the collapse of ride share during the worst of COVID. I have an issue with its pedal assist response. It has both torque and cadence assist. When shifting to a lower cog; ie) climbing a hill, the assist is uninterrupted. However when shifting to a higher cog, there is a 3 second cut out of the assist. iow: increased torque - decrease cadence causes a large interruption in assist. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Potter

Without being there, here goes. Before embarking on the grade, shift and choose your power level. Slow going for a few, but smooth transition. Otherwise, get it fixed to your satisfaction or change bikes. Be happy fast.

My bike was produced for the "ride share" market. It was a closeout due to the company leaving the US market and the collapse of ride share during the worst of COVID. I have an issue with its pedal assist response. It has both torque and cadence assist. When shifting to a lower cog; ie) climbing a hill, the assist is uninterrupted. However when shifting to a higher cog, there is a 3 second cut out of the assist. iow: increased torque - decrease cadence causes a large interruption in assist. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Potter
There are a lot of eBike systems out there, so there are probably an equal number of ways they control your bike... but my Bafang has a setting that monitors the peddle crank rotation before it applies power to the drive... downshifting causes the peddles to speed up their rotation, so the apparent continuous application of power, where upshifting will reduce peddle crank rotation speed, and the assist won't kick in until you've produced the programed rotation to get the assist to pick up again. The lag in assist would be most apparent if you tended to coast a bit as you started down hill, and then pick up the peddling rate again.... Good luck, and enjoy your eRide..!!! -D

Back