Priority Current from Costco

ronniebellie

Local time
11:36 AM
Costco has a new program called Costco Next in which they partner with "trusted suppliers" and give significant discounts to Costco Members. I came across a Priority Current on the Costco site which has the features below. Costco member pricing is $2,599 which is a 20% discount from the $3,299 retail price. Costco has an excellent return policy as well.
  • Rear Hub: Internally geared Shimano 5 speed or enviolo CVT eBike specific hub.
  • Belt Drive: Grease and rust-free Gates Carbon Drive CDX belt drive
  • Battery: Frame-integrated 500wh 48v battery - charges on and off the bike
  • Motor: 500w mid-drive motor with class leading 140NM of max torque
Does anyone have any experience with this bike? How about the enviolo CVT? That's what I'm thinking of going with. I'm very curious about it because I've had CVTs on a couple of Honda cars I've purchased in the last 7 years. And what about the Gates Carbon Drive CDX belt drive? Any thoughts on that?

And one more question. Often this ebike is touted as a commuter bike on the videos I've watched. However, my wife and I are mostly interested in riding the many rails-to-trails around the USA. We are both members of Rails to Trails Conservatory and plan on taking a couple of months every year for riding them when we retire soon. Would this ebike be a good road bike as well? What's the major distinctions between the two kinds?

I’m also considering the Priority Current, and I’m also going back and forth on the Enviolo vs the Shimano. If any of you have experience with them I‘d also be interested in your observations.

Costco has a new program called Costco Next in which they partner with "trusted suppliers" and give significant discounts to Costco Members. I came across a Priority Current on the Costco site which has the features below. Costco member pricing is $2,599 which is a 20% discount from the $3,299 retail price. Costco has an excellent return policy as well.
  • Rear Hub: Internally geared Shimano 5 speed or enviolo CVT eBike specific hub.
  • Belt Drive: Grease and rust-free Gates Carbon Drive CDX belt drive
  • Battery: Frame-integrated 500wh 48v battery - charges on and off the bike
  • Motor: 500w mid-drive motor with class leading 140NM of max torque
Does anyone have any experience with this bike? How about the enviolo CVT? That's what I'm thinking of going with. I'm very curious about it because I've had CVTs on a couple of Honda cars I've purchased in the last 7 years. And what about the Gates Carbon Drive CDX belt drive? Any thoughts on that?

And one more question. Often this ebike is touted as a commuter bike on the videos I've watched. However, my wife and I are mostly interested in riding the many rails-to-trails around the USA. We are both members of Rails to Trails Conservatory and plan on taking a couple of months every year for riding them when we retire soon. Would this ebike be a good road bike as well? What's the major distinctions between the two kinds?
Based on the equipment on the bike it sounds like a great deal. However I would check with Costco to see if they handle as issues with the bike.

Looking at the specs, looking at the photos for "build philosophy" I'd have to say that bike looks pretty solid. Not a bad discount price either.
There really isn't any specific class called a "commuter bike", but the common elements tend to be a more upright (cruiser) riding position, comfort saddles, and the ability to carry at least modest amounts of cargo (a change of work clothes and that sort of thing). Most "true" commuter bikes also tend to go with wider, fatter, tires but again, the real definition of a "commuter bike" is whatever it is you ride back and forth to work (LOL). I know a guy who has a small closet in his office w/a weeks worth of clothes and stuff. He drives Fridays to bring in new clothes and take his old stuff home to wash so he literally takes nothing else on his bike and therefore commutes with a Specialized Crux.

As long as you aren't looking to do dirt trails that bike should be fine. If you do want to get off-pavement you might want to consider different tires depending on how it felt off road.

To me the two biggest things with eBikes are finding out who provides service and how much a replacement battery runs (and can you get one).

Agree with CloneWerks comment above. If an ebike can't be serviced/repaired I'm reluctant to purchase. That's why I steer away from conversion kits.

From what I’ve gathered, Priority is excellent in terms of response to their customer’s needs. Their almost immediate response to my questions has been very impressive. Even their list of accessories on their website is pretty comprehensive. For my part, I’ve always done my own bike builds, maintenance and repair if any are ever needed. But I understand that might not be the case for many if not most.

I bought a PC 18 months ago from Costco with the Shimano hub at the same price. The whole experience was terrific, the customer support is fantastic they are so helpful. I've now done 4K miles on paved rural roads and I've lost 60lbs in the process. The torque is unbelievable, most hills I go up in 5th gear and I'm averaging 18MPH over the life of the bike. Highly recommended!!

MarkL, I’m considering that bike too. Love Priority. What kind of range do you get? Do you have only the standard battery, or did you add the rack mounted one to get extra range?

MarkL, I’m considering that bike too. Love Priority. What kind of range do you get? Do you have only the standard battery, or did you add the rack mounted one to get extra range?
Ron, I ride 20 miles a day and get back showing a 40% charge with a standard battery, I now weigh 200lbs. I would average power level 2/5, it's quite hilly where I live at the foot of the Blue Ridge mountains. I go up the hills at 4 or 5/5 and come down with zero, on the flat I'm on 1 or 2/5. I'm not sure the battery charge gauge is 100% accurate as I had it down to 1 bar one day and it went for miles.

Looking at the specs, looking at the photos for "build philosophy" I'd have to say that bike looks pretty solid. Not a bad discount price either.
There really isn't any specific class called a "commuter bike", but the common elements tend to be a more upright (cruiser) riding position, comfort saddles, and the ability to carry at least modest amounts of cargo (a change of work clothes and that sort of thing). Most "true" commuter bikes also tend to go with wider, fatter, tires but again, the real definition of a "commuter bike" is whatever it is you ride back and forth to work (LOL). I know a guy who has a small closet in his office w/a weeks worth of clothes and stuff. He drives Fridays to bring in new clothes and take his old stuff home to wash so he literally takes nothing else on his bike and therefore commutes with a Specialized Crux.

As long as you aren't looking to do dirt trails that bike should be fine. If you do want to get off-pavement you might want to consider different tires depending on how it felt off road.

To me the two biggest things with eBikes are finding out who provides service and how much a replacement battery runs (and can you get one).
Customer support is now my number one question when looking at a new ebike. Wish I'd thought of that before buying mine

Purchased my Priority Current from Costco. I had to tighten a spoke, but otherwise the bike works great. Been commuting for two weeks now. No issues. I've had my eye on this bike for two years now and finally got one. Other bikes that I considered were Dost Down CVT and Evelo Omega.

I think thats expensive for a rear hub motor ebike. You'd be better off with the ride 1up mid drive for that kind of money. Better specs and known quality. You can get most rear hubs under 2k

I bought a PC 18 months ago from Costco with the Shimano hub at the same price. The whole experience was terrific, the customer support is fantastic they are so helpful. I've now done 4K miles on paved rural roads and I've lost 60lbs in the process. The torque is unbelievable, most hills I go up in 5th gear and I'm averaging 18MPH over the life of the bike. Highly recommended!!
Mark. Glad you are enjoying your Priority Current. And congrats on losing 60lbs! Wow! I got mine (via Costco Next) last month (October 12). I rode it about 200+ miles the first two weeks and then an early winter came this year to eastern Washington with snow and cold temps. Removed the battery (store it in the house) and the bike is outside in a locked shed. I wrote up a full report of my initial experiences on this forum HERE. So glad I went with this choice after several months of research. With the high end components (carbon fiber belt, internal enviolo CVT hub, hydraulic disk brakes, etc.), I'm pretty sure it will live up to the saying "Buy nice or buy twice." :)

I don’t know the bike, but I’d be reluctant to buy any bike without riding it first.
It’s too much money and too many variables.

I don’t know the bike, but I’d be reluctant to buy any bike without riding it first.
It’s too much money and too many variables.
During my several months of research on ebikes, I felt the same. However, I've heard there are hundreds of ebike manufacturers, and the choices in my area to actually test ride one are very limited, even though I live in an urban area of nearly 400,000 people with lots of bike shops. (Spokane, WA). I went to 3-4 shops and did some test riding, but the ones at the shop were marked up a lot, in some cases by $1,000-$2,000 or more. I never felt comfortable with those limited choices and significant mark ups at the shops. The next best thing I decided was to have someone else vet options for me, someone I trusted. I've been a Costco member for 32 years and with the Costco Next program, they do just that. I actually talked to a Costco buyer on the phone who was involved in the company's decision to provide the Priority Current via Costco Next to its customers and he told me about the process of vetting in this case. They did a lot of research and even had one shipped to them and several of buyers tried it out. I also was told by the Costco rep on the phone that I could return it within 30 days for a full-refund if I was not satisfied. And return shipping would be covered. With these assurances, I made my decision and so far I don't regret it.

During my several months of research on ebikes, I felt the same. However, I've heard there are hundreds of ebike manufacturers, and the choices in my area to actually test ride one are very limited, even though I live in an urban area of nearly 400,000 people with lots of bike shops. (Spokane, WA). I went to 3-4 shops and did some test riding, but the ones at the shop were marked up a lot, in some cases by $1,000-$2,000 or more. I never felt comfortable with those limited choices and significant mark ups at the shops. The next best thing I decided was to have someone else vet options for me, someone I trusted. I've been a Costco member for 32 years and with the Costco Next program, they do just that. I actually talked to a Costco buyer on the phone who was involved in the company's decision to provide the Priority Current via Costco Next to its customers and he told me about the process of vetting in this case. They did a lot of research and even had one shipped to them and several of buyers tried it out. I also was told by the Costco rep on the phone that I could return it within 30 days for a full-refund if I was not satisfied. And return shipping would be covered. With these assurances, I made my decision and so far I don't regret it.
I had a similar experience and attitude. Of the 12+ bike shops in my area only 3 allowed test rides of their Ebikes, a pop up Rad shop, Good turn bikes (none below 3k+), and a guy who rented a storefront, somehow got a loan, bought dozens of Ebikes from Amazon & Ebay which he promptly doubled the cost of, and is now in the wind being chased by creditors, customers, and the law. Pedigo didn't even want me to sit on one of theirs so even if I could afford I'd never buy just on principle.
Ebikes have been popular here for a few years now & I actually see more of them, esp rentals, than regular bikes these days so businesses are going to have to follow suit. You can get a cheap off the shelf 750w ebike on Amazon for $7-$800 now and I assume many people will buy something like that, as an entry point, rather than having to deal with pretentious, hipster dbags looking down on them for not spending $4-5k on something they never even got a chance to try.
I'm lucky that most of my friends now have Ebikes and range from living well below the poverty line (me lol) to upper middle class so have been able to ride alot of different brands & models. So far my favorite has been the Ariel Grizzly and a Haibike I can't remember the name of.
I'm no longer a member at Costco but have family that are so I've been waiting for some more reviews to come in before forming any kind of opinion (seems expensive for rear hub motor). I got a broken Rattan in August that I just got working last week so now I'm using it solely for Door Dash to earn enough to buy an Ariel Grizzly, unless I find one I like better.
What's the adage? "Buy cheap pay twice"? I think that's true for alot of off the shelf Chinese bikes DEPENDING on what you want to use them for. For shortish commutes on paved roads or RV travelers they're prob ideal. Anything long distance (try pedaling a 70lb bike 18 miles), non paved or potholed roads, steep hills etc. It's prob better to wait and save enough for something that can tackle terrain and last, I wish I had.
Im 51 yo & hadn't been on a bike of any kind in 25+yrs so riding an ebike took some getting used to so I get the intimidation factor. If my friends hadn't kept bugging me I may have never even gotten on theirs much less spent $1k+ on one. Now I ride like a demon pushing that rickety Rattan to the limit hoping Itll last long enough for me to buy a better one.
Sorry for rambling. These things are addictive! I want a whole fleet of different models

When I bought my first Pedego Element I stopped by the store and had never ridden an E-bike. Talked with the owner and his wife and took an 8 mile ride to see if I liked the bike! Ended up taking a new one home! Had I not ridden it first I doubt I would’ve bought one! Now my wife and I each have one!

Back