Priority Current electric bike?

ronaldsauve

Local time
10:52 AM
I’m looking at the Priority Current electric bike. It seems to have a lot of boxes checked for what I’d like, gates belt drive, enviolo 380 infinite hub, decent range with an add on rack mounted battery for added range, 140 NM torque, torque pedal input, and so on. They seem very responsive to customers from what I’ve personally seen. Very light on specs on their website, but they answered my questions very quickly.
Have any of you heard any good/bad about this bike? Thanks for any and all input!
www.prioritybicycles.com

PRIORITY CURRENT E-BIKE - Priority Bicycles

The Current is the most progressive e-bike on the market, with more power and more comfort than any of its...
www.prioritybicycles.com

Is this your first ebike? $3500 is a lot to invest for first ebike.

What are some specific "boxes" that are required for your ebike purchase?

I’ve had a lot of bikes over the years, but this is my first e-bike. I’ve also considered the Evelo Aurora Limited, Omega, or Atlas, but they’re more expensive. Another option, the Tern Quick Haul P9, about the same price, or the HSD S+, more expensive.
Boxes:
This will be a “working” bike, not just for recreation. So it needs to have the ability to carry some loads, and tow a trailer
Mid drive with torque not cadence, (this claims 140 NM, a big plus)
Enviolo infinitely geared rear hub
Gates belt drive
Rear rack with added battery for extended range
Through bolt axles
Hydraulic brakes
Mid kickstand
Full fenders
Good integral lighting

I'm thinking about getting the Priority Current too. Costco now sells it via their Costco Next program. It's an automatic 20% off retail. However. it's not returnable via Costco's return program. You have to go through the manufacturer for a return.

I just posted another question HERE about the enviolo hub vs. the Shimano hub.

I noticed your post was on May 30, some time ago. Did you buy one? If so, what are your impressions?

ronniebellie; I posted this on your other thread..

I feel the a bit of drag on the Priority Current. It just doesn't coast anything like a non-electric bike. I'm not sure yet if it's the enviolo hub or the mid drive motor or typical e-bike quirk. So I would be curious if it's a similar issue with the Shimano hub which has a higher efficiency %, but a little less gearing range.

FYI.... Mine was delivered with a bent front wheel and brake rotor. Priority wouldn't replace it. Only after video and picture proof they said to bring it to a bike shop to repair and they would pay the bill afterwards. After 4, 22 minute trips to drop and pic-up my bike, attaching the bike rack twice and all the correspondence time, I had a repaired bike as a gift. I may have to repeat this because the bike still has other issues I'm concerned about. I loose about half of the batteries charge if it sits a week to 10 day's, according to the handlebar display. That's a lot of loss. I've checked it twice. Seems to me to be a parasitic drain. Bummer

I’m looking at the Priority Current electric bike. It seems to have a lot of boxes checked for what I’d like, gates belt drive, enviolo 380 infinite hub, decent range with an add on rack mounted battery for added range, 140 NM torque, torque pedal input, and so on. They seem very responsive to customers from what I’ve personally seen. Very light on specs on their website, but they answered my questions very quickly.
Have any of you heard any good/bad about this bike? Thanks for any and all input!
www.prioritybicycles.com

PRIORITY CURRENT E-BIKE - Priority Bicycles

The Current is the most progressive e-bike on the market, with more power and more comfort than any of its...
www.prioritybicycles.com
I also had trouble getting exact specs from them. The frames seem to be smaller than many ebikes I've seen.

I have 400 miles on a Current I bought last month with a Shimano hub. The bike is a real bear to get rolling, I feel the same drag you are mentioning but as I think about it I only feel it when I’m getting her up to speed on low assist level. The thing is a heave bike, that drag I’m feeling is gravity, once she’s moving it all feels fine. I went with the Shimano hub because I’ve never test drove the Envilio. I really enjoy the thump/click action of changing gears as I’m used to it from riding.

ronniebellie; I posted this on your other thread..

I feel the a bit of drag on the Priority Current. It just doesn't coast anything like a non-electric bike. I'm not sure yet if it's the enviolo hub or the mid drive motor or typical e-bike quirk. So I would be curious if it's a similar issue with the Shimano hub which has a higher efficiency %, but a little less gearing range.

FYI.... Mine was delivered with a bent front wheel and brake rotor. Priority wouldn't replace it. Only after video and picture proof they said to bring it to a bike shop to repair and they would pay the bill afterwards. After 4, 22 minute trips to drop and pic-up my bike, attaching the bike rack twice and all the correspondence time, I had a repaired bike as a gift. I may have to repeat this because the bike still has other issues I'm concerned about. I loose about half of the batteries charge if it sits a week to 10 day's, according to the handlebar display. That's a lot of loss. I've checked it twice. Seems to me to be a parasitic drain. Bummer
I’ve read about the friction you are talking about. However saw an interview and it was stated that the Enviolo hub has a break in period of about 500 miles. After that it is supposed to have less drag.

I’ve read about the friction you are talking about. However saw an interview and it was stated that the Enviolo hub has a break in period of about 500 miles. After that it is supposed to have less drag.
Just found a post on the enviolo support site HERE. Do a browser page search for "drag" and you will see this below. (See screenshot below.) It says break-in period is about 100 km.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 2.26.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 2.26.37 PM.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 240
A friend of mine just ordered a Priority Current thru Costco Next 2days ago. But with the Shimano hub. I told her to call them to upgrade for the $200 difference and tell them to hold the order until the Enviolo hub is available on Oct. 15. I’m jealous. I don’t have one. But from all my research it is one hell of a good ebike plus being virtually maintenance free.

Just ordered my Priority Current (medium size, enviolo hub, charcoal color) via Costco Next 3 hours ago. Shipping was free from PA to Washington state. Yeah! The Costco Next site also has a few accessories, but not all the ones on the main Priority site. I did get one accessory with my bike order (both 20% off), but then had to go to the main site and get two more (lock and rear rack) for the regular price, but shipping with a code was waived. The bike and accessories were shipped out within 2 hours and will arrive next Thursday (one week from today).

I did months of research on the Priority Current which included reading review articles, watching review videos, posting on this forum and reading responses, etc. Other than purchasing cars (I've never purchased a house), it was one of the largest single purchases I've ever made, $3,059.63 + for Costco Next order + $141.69 on the main Priority site) Hopefully, I will not regret it.

Priority support in this process was excellent, most of it via email, but I did telephone once. The support rep Chase was very polite and answered my many questions well. One question I had was about riding position. With my bike now, I'm leaning over perhaps at about a 10-15% angle while riding which is what I like. Photos I've seen of the Current with a rider look less than that, and somewhat like a beach cruiser., with the rider in a slightly more upright position. It may take some getting used to this.

He also said in response to a few people on this forum and their concerns about the enviolo hub and a feeling of "drag" that this may be in part due to the heaviness of the hub (2 lbs more) in the back and the overall heaviness of the bike itself (about 52 lbs). He also mentioned as the enviolo support site mentions that there is usually a break-in period, maybe about 500 miles or so.

Congratulations on making the decision regarding the Priority. I’ve been having a great time with mine. Here are a couple of things about the unboxing and set up that I experienced. Have a pump ready to inflate the tires, all the tools required for set up are in the box except for a 2,5mm hex key, you’ll need one of them to move the display to make attaching the handle bars easier. Take the time to check the tightness of all critical parts, like the nuts on the rear hub. My front brake rotors were warped So I had to take it to a shop to have them straightened, while I was there I had them adjust the brakes. I hated the stock seat and replaced it with another skinnier seat more to my liking. Not sure if it’s your thing, but I added clipless pedals so I could ride it with my mountain bike shoes. Really made the whole platform feel real stable. You will love the bike. So quiet and smoot.

Thanks for the good advice about unboxing and assembly. Excellent. Mine is now scheduled to arrive this Wednesday via FedEx. Maybe you don't know this, but my FedEx info in my account is saying "direct signature required." However, no one will be home for several hours on Wednesday. A big box (75 lbs it says) on my porch would be safe during the day. I'm not worried about that. In my FedEx account I'm not seeing any way to get around this. Any ideas?

Call your local fedex and give them delivery instructuons....ya might have to go to the local fedex and sign though so they know it's you that made the delivery instructions.

Also search the fedex website it tells how to leave delivery instructions somewhere on there.

This may help? https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/hold-at-location.html

Enjoy your ride when ya get it Ronnie and keep us posted! :cool:

My Priority came with the same signature requirements. The Fed Ex thing might be tricky, when I looked into how to receive a Fed Ex package without a signature, Fed Ex procedure was to send me a post card via USPS with a confirmation number and then I could update my account which would allow signatureless delivery. Not enough time in your situation for this and I can understand how excited you are to just get the bike.

It doesn’t matter ‘who’ signs for it, the Fed Ex driver in my situation was a bit exasperated just lugging the huge box out of the truck and walking it up the driveway….I feel certain he would have gladly just left the box with paw print from my dog on his touch screen. unless you have a pick up truck, it’s not something you want to pick up at the Fed Ex distribution center. Any chance you can find someone to hang at your place while you are gone? If you go through the hassle of finding someone stationed at your house, that’d guarantee that the package would arrive when you were there

A question for your Priority Current members. I know that fenders (front and rear) come in the box to be installed. Did any of you NOT install them? All of my riding is on hard surface in dry weather. I never ride in the rain. If I choose not to install them, does it affect anything else? Does it look terrible without the rims? And if I don't install them, can they be installed at a later time?

I uninstalled both. Both a looks durability and utility concert And I don’t have to ride in the rain The back fender houses the tail light wire, you can snip the wire to length and use it for an aftermarket red LED light somewhere else.

i am going to find a smaller front fender that dosent require the side mounting system. Something like a 1footer that mounts to the fork. The power plug is mounted high on the battery. There is a plastic cover there but I find it cumbersome to close adequately and fully so I would like to keep water with velocity splashing into that plug housing if I do get caught in a storm or hit a puddle…..

This is how she looks

Attachments

• 977D3FC0-1A5B-43DC-BCC8-8593FDE5B805.jpeg
    977D3FC0-1A5B-43DC-BCC8-8593FDE5B805.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 226
Thanks for the info Michael. My Current came two days ago from Pennsylvania to Washington state via FedEx. There was some shipping damage. The big one was a cracked display, but Priority immediately sent out a new one which I will receive Monday. Also, my front rotor was bent some. There was a rubbing sound with the brakes when the front wheel was lifted off the ground and spun by hand. I took it to my local bike shop and they straightened out the rotor. Seems fine, but still when braking, there's a fairly loud noise.

And the big thing for me is a strange feel with the Enviolo hub. When coasting at lower speeds with the pedal assist setting at zero (for example, coasting at 4-6 mph) and then I slowly engage the drive, there's a kind of clicking sound and a clicking feel to the drive. It doesn't feel normal. Do you experience that?

I recorded the sound of both the enviolo hub clicking and the brake noise on my iPhone today for the purpose of sending the audio to Priority Support. The link below is to the audio file. (I wanted to attach it, but this forum does not allow audio file attachments.)

Could you listen to it and give me your input? Perhaps you have some insight into the situation.

Click HERE to listen to the audio file.

You can ignore this issue with the brakes and with the sound of the enviolo hub. Priority support helped me understand what's going on and it makes sense. Here's a response regarding the brakes. Then below that the response regarding the enviolo hub noise. Both responses make total sense to me. Priority support has been excellent helping me these first few days of ownership of my Current.

I'm unsure if this is your first bike with disc brakes but the two things that I've come to learn with having a handful of bikes with disc brakes is they will often need a "bedding in" process. Basically a transfer of material between the pad and the rotor. This can mean noises or stopping power may not be as expected in the first ride or so. Also riding through the streets can kick up strange contaminants onto the rotor and give you the occasional squeak or vibration. Usually this will go away on its own or just with a quick cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. I have no way to prove this but what is most likely possible that when adjusting your brakes a bit of oil from someone's glove may have come in contact with the rotor and as you were riding the oil was rubbed off from braking.

This is the ratcheting mechanism known as a freewheel that is allowing the rear wheel to coast. Without that mechanism you would have to continuously pedal at the same rate of speed the bike is moving 100% of the time. The noise will go away completely when you pedal as the ratchet teeth are engaged and driving the wheel forward, as you stop pedaling the noise will be present as the ratchet teeth are floating over the toothed surface of the rub body.

Back