Please help - new controller - battery keeps cutting out

lumisoft

Local time
5:33 PM
ok. so my last controller died (the one that came originally with carrera) so bought a new one from amazon - Keenso electric bike controller for brushless motor. Also connected it to throttle. The issue is - when I push the throttle (even a little bit ) 1 to 2 seconds and the battery cuts out and what I understand gives the low voltage error(all lights blink fast) so connected it voltmeter. the throttling - voltage drops from 36V to around 33V and then suddenly to 28V and battery cuts out. if I connect to charger - it’s a steady 40V and I can throttle to max and it never cuts out. Any ideas? Thanks

Either there is a very large electrical load on the battery, or the battery has a severe problem, to show that kind of voltage drop.

A very poor connection somewhere in the chain from battery to controller could cause this. A short somewhere, anywhere could do it. If you have individual phase wires and they are not corrected in the right sequence, this could definitely cause this.

Swap with your wife's battery and see if you get the same thing.

Voltage should be starting out at 42V. 36V is mostly dead, for a "36V" battery. Charge to full, check voltage on battery with DVM.

Yes I did swap with my missus battery - same issue. So the only wire that I am questioning (Even though they match colours) is white - which is for speed sensor. Since when I throttle - the speedometer shoots up to shor 70km/h - so clearly not reading it correctly

White is frequently a temperature sensor. Could just be a bad speed sensor, or wheel size not input correctly.

Phase wires are FREQUENTLY not color-coded correctly. Can Definitely cause a huge load. DO NOT give full throttle, small increments. incorrect phase wire order can blow the controller under full throttle.

Ok - newby - never knew about P and C options. Fiddling around those seem to slowly resolve this issue but still not right.

this is my current setup:
P1 - 87, P2 - 6, P3 - 0 - P4 - 0, P5 - 15
C1 - 06, C2 - 0, C3 - 8, C4 - 0, C5 - 2, C6 - 3, C7 - 0, C8 - 1, C9 - 0, C10 - n, C11 - 0, C12 - 4, C13 - 0, C14 - 2

Any suggestions on whats wrong?

Are these menu options on the display, for the controller?

Unfortunately, these can vary wildly. I would have expected to see a 36 or 48 in there somewhere, 87 maybe a wheelsize in cm, stuff like pole count, etc. P5 maybe amp limit???

Need some docs on the controller, or settings for similar motor, need specs on motor.

Defaults usually work, any settings on the menu for options?

That really should not have affected the battery so heavily, just not worked well on the motor. Odd.

So as far as I read - and thanks to this guy:

P1 is the main value that needs to be set right. Not too sure what it stands for but it get's calculated based on magnets and gears in motor - and for SR Suntour - can't find any of that information.

Suntour is bicycle gearing. This is magnet count, or pole count and gear ratio, if any. Motor and inside, not outside.

Check motor itself for any markings, and/or research your bike to see what they used. Bafang or whatever. Geared or direct drive.

There are only a couple variations of gear ratios used, magnets generally similar within same wattage range, there is Magnet count, and there is Pole count, which is usually double, but not always.

Back