Place to buy new rim for ebikes?

agumen934

Local time
11:45 AM
Hi guys, I very recently built my first e bike, which is a Violmart 1500w rear hub motor kit. I came home after a ride one day and noticed the rear rim (the one with the motor on it), was pretty badly bent. The bike still drives but it is pretty wobbly, and the back brakes hit the wheel every time it moves. Can anyone tell me what I should do next or a website to buy rims for e bikes?? I tried looking for a new e bike rim online, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Here is the link to the bike I bought:
(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVQPKYV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details)
What should I do next?? Thanks in advance.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
As far as I know there is no such thing as an ebike rim, they use the exact same rims as bicycle rims. In your case the spokes are shorter than on a normal 26" bike rim to account for the hub motor.

So you have a couple of options:

1. Take the complete wheel into a bike shop and ask them if it is possible to straighten it.
2. Buy another rim and then take it into the bike shop so they can lace the motor in and true the rim.

I would not suggest truing the rim yourself as there is quite an art to tensioning spokes. I hope they don't charge you too much. If it is too expensive then maybe you can find a backyard bicycle mechanic. We used to get our rims straightened by an old retired bloke for $5 a rim, this was many years ago.

It looks like you need a 26" rim with 36 spoke holes.

The spokes can probably be re-used no problems as long as they aren't completely bent out of shape. Your spoke size is 12g (12g is the gauge which equals 2.60 millimeters). The spoke length I could not find, you'd have to remove one and measure it. But see what the bike shop recommends first, it sounds like you can use them again!

Good luck!

As far as I know there is no such thing as an ebike rim, they use the exact same rims as bicycle rims. In your case the spokes are shorter than on a normal 26" bike rim to account for the hub motor.

So you have a couple of options:

1. Take the complete wheel into a bike shop and ask them if it is possible to straighten it.
2. Buy another rim and then take it into the bike shop so they can lace the motor in and true the rim.

I would not suggest truing the rim yourself as there is quite an art to tensioning spokes. I hope they don't charge you too much. If it is too expensive then maybe you can find a backyard bicycle mechanic. We used to get our rims straightened by an old retired bloke for $5 a rim, this was many years ago.

It looks like you need a 26" rim with 36 spoke holes.

The spokes can probably be re-used no problems as long as they aren't completely bent out of shape. Your spoke size is 12g (12g is the gauge which equals 2.60 millimeters). The spoke length I could not find, you'd have to remove one and measure it. But see what the bike shop recommends first, it sounds like you can use them again!

Good luck!
Ok, thanks so much for the tips!

Back