Pedal assist wheel/kit??? Copenhagen Wheel, FlyKly, Zehus bike+

Cromag_Jetlag

Local time
5:36 AM
Hi All,
I am completely new to the world of eBikes so please forgive me if my question is absurd. Also, appologies in advance if this question is already answered somewhere, feel free to send me wherever the answer may be.
I am looking for a wheel or kit that is for pedal assist only. I already have 3 bikes and I would really prefer to convert one of them than to buy a new bike for this purpose. I have seen the Copenhagen wheel, FlyKly and Zehus bike+ but wondering if there are any additional options I am unaware of... or kits that someone may recommend. I really love the idea of the Zehus bike+ but I think they dont sell the wheel alone but only sell it as a full bike.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these or know of a kit that is only pedal assist (I think most kits I see are for throttle eBikes (sorry, if my terminology is off)).
Any help would be super appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Most of the kits I've helped install have both throttle and pedal assist, if you want pedal assist only, the easiest solution to me would be to not install the throttle and just use PAS. The kits are usually nearly identical no matter which supplier you buy from, some off the top of my head are Eunorau, Electric-Bikes.com, Electrify Bike Co., Grin Technologies, etc.

Most of the kits I've helped install have both throttle and pedal assist, if you want pedal assist only, the easiest solution to me would be to not install the throttle and just use PAS. The kits are usually nearly identical no matter which supplier you buy from, some off the top of my head are Eunorau, Electric-Bikes.com, Electrify Bike Co., Grin Technologies, etc.
Great, thanks for the info. It never occurred to me to just instal the pedal assist. I guess I actually didn't know that was possible. Anyway, I will take a look at the suppliers you mentioned. really appreciate it.

Are you familiar at all with ebikeling? I just came across them and was curious. They sell kits but not sure yet how they may compare to others.

Thanks again for the help.

If you get any kits from Ebikeling, make sure to get the waterproof ones, they have better connectors, etc.

There are many, MANY kits out there, the ones that put the battery in the wheel are tremendously stupid. In order to help you choose, it is important to understand what you want to do with it.

Range? Speed? Load Carried? (this one is also known as "how fat is your ass?") Off-road? On-road? Type of road surface? Length and height of hills? (This one is very important) Degree of pedaling you wish to do? Folding? Hi-speed? Cargo hauling? Light weight? Degree of maintenance desired? Degree of legality required? Laws in your location? Ride comfort? Does it need to be a particular color? What state do you live in? Ride in the winter? Lots of rain, or cold, or heat, or hills? Did you notice I mentioned hills, TWICE?

"I want an ebike" is like saying "I want a truck". Well, to haul a washing machine across town, or 100 of them 1000 miles away, or to go 4-wheeling out in the boonies, or to haul a 5,000 lb boat out of the water, or a commuter to carry some tools, or ............. Getting the picture? These are all very different "trucks", some will do more than one job, some will do ONE job very, very well. The key question necessary to getting the right truck is "What do you want to do with it"?

So it is with ebikes, the better you can answer that question, the better your ebike choice will suit your needs. Now, with a TRUCK, you probably know that a truck that will pull the heavy boat out of the water is not ideal for a commuter, and the commuter is not ideal for mud-running, and WHY. Certain abilities apply limitations to others, or even rule them out entirely. A good commuter truck simply WILL NOT haul that 5,000 lb boat out of the water, or at least not very many times before requiring some expensive repairs, or even being totally destroyed. This task is very much like climbing a hill, on an ebike.

I could tell you what ebike I like, but I could also tell you what color you should paint your house, what you should eat for lunch, and what type of shoes you should wear.

I have a FlyKly wheel, charger, handlebar battery thingy and manual. I'd like to find it a good home. Alas, I am unable to find the app needed to configure the wheel. Are you still interested?

Back