Pace 500 first generation motor fails after near 1000 miles

Awolf

Local time
7:08 PM
As my title infers, after almost 1000 miles the hub motor on my Pace 500-1 has failed. I started to get a severe knocking sound coming from the rear. This only was evident when cycling. Racking the bike did not re-create the noise. The noise was evident without pedaling. I had a reputable Trek bike store mechanic(s) determine it is the motor. I now have on order new motor that comes with with wheel and spokes and cassette for delivery, and unfortunately, out of warranty. Not a terrible expense but I will have the additional expense of labor. Bike is just over 2 years old.
When I ride this bike, I use all the gearing and all the motor levels 1-5 doing anywhere from 30-35 mile rides.
I also use the throttle mostly to help from dead stops to get across roads with traffic faster.
I am concerned!
Did my riding habit contribute to the demise of the motor?
Considering a new bike with Bosch mid motor from Trek.
Any comments or experience is so very appreciated!

Those riding habits don't seem unusual.
Is there a chance you hose your bike down with water? Spraying water at the hub can get inside the bearings and the motor and eventually cause problems.

Those riding habits don't seem unusual.
Is there a chance you hose your bike down with water? Spraying water at the hub can get inside the bearings and the motor and eventually cause problems.
Thanks for reply. I have been very careful with just using towels and cleaners. No hose water. Have never ridden the bike in any wet weather.

Back