OneMotor Ebike Kit Reviews (Formerly known as Shareroller)

288GTO

Local time
5:24 AM
What do people think of the OneMotor kit? The kit will work on anything from recumbents, folding bikes, tandems, three wheelers and even regular road or mountain bikes. The OneMotor system weighs 2kg and gets up to 40 miles of range. The power and speed is controlled using a phone app.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OneMotor kit looks like a friction drive electric kit. Interesting concept which has also been used for petrol powered motorized bikes. I'm wondering how friction drive performs on an electric bike. Possibly there is finer control on the throttle than a petrol powered bike and thus less slippage. Interesting to see reviews on the OneMotor kit if anyone here has used it.

Last edited:
It attaches to the mount quickly and easily using retracting magnetic "bolts". When you install the OneMotor kit, you set the correct distance and the software determines exactly how much pressure to apply to the tire. It adapts on the fly as you ride. When I rode a particularly bumpy road, I could feel the motor reset the pressure to maintain contact and I never felt any tire slippage. Aside from the first time I used the motor, I have not noticed any tire wear at all.

Friction drives like this (like Rubbee, etc) have been around for a while. This one also sells as a complete kit on the Brompton foldable bike.

Probably the only downside is it will eat out your tire quicker in the long run. Usually friction drives run on the back wheel and this is probably recommended. If the front tire was to blow it could be a really bad outcome. If the back tire blows you will hopefully just skid to a halt.

What do people think of the OneMotor kit? The kit will work on anything from recumbents, folding bikes, tandems, three wheelers and even regular road or mountain bikes. The OneMotor system weighs 2kg and gets up to 40 miles of range. The power and speed is controlled using a phone app.

Pretty neat but not at the price they are asking.

I’m not sure this company is in business anymore. No one to talk to and kits do not seem to be shipping.

There is a new review for that product I just found out

There is a new review for that product I just found out
Sorry I just don't see this as a real solution. I have owned an ebike for little over a month now and can tell in my environment, lots of hills, this little thing wouldn't cut it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure this company is in business anymore. No one to talk to and kits do not seem to be shipping.
I just sent them a message via their contact form and the they said they're definitely still in business but are having in-stock issues recently. They've also had some email issues lately and have missed a few inquiries. They're a small company with a small team. Please send them a message through their website contact us form if you have any questions.

Sorry I just don't see this as a real solution. I have owned an ebike for little over a month now and can tell in my environment, lots of hills, this little thing wouldn't cut it.
I use this on my Bike Friday and live in the Bay Area - and climb SF hills no problem. It has incredible torque and power. I can go up to 28mph but I've never pushed it beyond around 18mph as that feels plenty fast on 16" wheels, lol.

A conversion kit with a motor in a new rear wheel has worked great for me, and doesn't cost a fortune.

A conversion kit with a motor in a new rear wheel has worked great for me, and doesn't cost a fortune.
We all have different needs. I have to carry my bike up 3 flights of stairs so that 4.5lb system is a winner. I also have more than one bike and being able to swap the motor onto one of the other bikes in less than a minute is a winner. Imagine the cost if I had to buy hub systems for all 3 of my bikes? Definitely more than the OM kit.

Friction drive works well in a dry climate like Phoenix or SoCal. Doesn’t work as well ina rainy place like Seattle.

Friction drive works well in a dry climate like Phoenix or SoCal. Doesn’t work as well ina rainy place like Seattle.
I live in NorCal, and while we are having a drought, I did ride in the rain last year. The motor auto-adjusts the tension if there is water causing slippage. It's a little disturbing the first time it happens as you feel the motor grab and release a few times but then it digs in and does not slip. Would I ride it in a torrential downpour? Maybe not but I wouldn't ride my unmotorized bike in that weather either, lol. The idea that friction drives don't work well in the wet is based on older systems, not systems with modern software and algorithms. The OM has a computer inside it, it's not a dumb friction drive.

Is anyone still following the OneMotor thread? I have one where the motor will no longer drop down onto the wheel, and wonder if anyone has a motor they're no longer using, or wants to buy a working controller or PAS for the OneMotor system.

Back