Older eZee Sprint Battery Replacement/Revyulf

jamesonhpdx

Local time
10:28 AM
I just acquired an older Sprint, 3 days of use the battery pack would not take a charge. Ebike Noobie that I am, discovered ebike batteries need to be replaced every 2-3 years or after 3-400 charges, at a cost of $500-800. Are there less inexpensive alternatives? Suggestions?

Hi! It’s unusual for a battery to work for 3 days and then not charge anymore. I’m wondering if the culprit is the charger. Most batteries can be charged like 800+ times. They can take about 5 hours to charge. I’ve never encountered a battery that can be charged less than 800 times. Have you charged it before or was this the first charge that you attempted? I once blew a fuse on the battery pack and it stopped working. Five years ago I was in the same situation as you are in now. I bought a brand new boxed Schwinn ebike for $600 and the battery gave out within a year. So I contacted Schwinn and they offered a replacement battery for $990. Crazy! So I did some research on finding a suitable replacement. From what I understand the specs for your bike’s battery is 36v, 15ah. Your controller pulls 20 amps. Correct? So what you need to look out when replacing the battery is that is MUST be a 36v, NOT 24 or 48v. If you’re lucky you might find one that is the same dimensions as the dead one. It also needs the BMS rated at 20 or more amps. If you buy a battery with a BMS rated like 15 amps it will fry. I found that out by accident. On both Amazon and eBay you can find really good batteries in the $200-$300 range. You can buy rack mount or frame mount. It doesn’t matter, as long as you can secure it to your bike. You might have to extend the red and black wires and/or the connectors from the battery to the controller. If you’re not comfortable doing this then there are companies that rebuild your battery, basically putting in a new battery inside your current case.

Last edited:
Thank you for info! I bought the bike from a small town community bike shop, it had a loose connection to the throttle, and only worked half the time. I fixed that. The battery was fully charged when I bought the bike for $100. The bike shop was going to fix the throttle problem then sell the bike for $500. I thought it was a deal, 8 speed internally geared Nexus hub, disc/drum brakes...Going to check the fuse and go from there with your recommendations. Thank you!

The bike shop gave me the wrong charger, exchanged it for the right one.
Thank you for info! I bought the bike from a small town community bike shop, it had a loose connection to the throttle, and only worked half the time. I fixed that. The battery was fully charged when I bought the bike for $100. The bike shop was going to fix the throttle problem then sell the bike for $500. I thought it was a deal, 8 speed internally geared Nexus hub, disc/drum brakes...Going to check the fuse and go from there with your recommendations. Thank you!

Checked the fuse, ok. Called the bike shop, found out I was given the wrong charger, went to exchange it, and was told that on occasion after extended use, ebike batteries need to be "reset", forgot the term he used, from a qualified dealer. More times than not a new battery doesn't need to be purchased every 3-400 charges or every few years. Battery is charged now. Thank you again for the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_120811.jpg
    IMG_20210603_120811.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 268
Back