Novice E-bike Recommendation - Mountain E-bike

Local time
2:20 PM
Many people have this question before they just joined the electric bicycle movement: what kind of car is right for me? What kind of electric bike should I buy?

1. The frame of the mountain e-bike is sturdy and strong. Because when riding, you often encounter unsatisfactory road surfaces or climb steep slopes. In such road conditions, road e-bikes, folding e-bikes, etc. are useless. And mountain e-bikes can solve this problem very well.

2. The riding posture of mountain e-bikes is relatively comfortable, which can adapt to long-term riding, and it is easier for beginners to experience the fun of riding. Moreover, the mountain e-bike has a solid structure, stable riding and high safety factor. Secondly, the mountain e-bike frame can be installed with a rear rack and turned into a "touring e-bike".

3. Mountain e-bike accessories are very versatile, have a lot of choices, are cheap, and are very easy to match. The frame is the soul of a car, and the quality of the frame can make a car feel different when riding it.

Many people have this question before they just joined the electric bicycle movement: what kind of car is right for me? What kind of electric bike should I buy?

1. The frame of the mountain e-bike is sturdy and strong. Because when riding, you often encounter unsatisfactory road surfaces or climb steep slopes. In such road conditions, road e-bikes, folding e-bikes, etc. are useless. And mountain e-bikes can solve this problem very well.

2. The riding posture of mountain e-bikes is relatively comfortable, which can adapt to long-term riding, and it is easier for beginners to experience the fun of riding. Moreover, the mountain e-bike has a solid structure, stable riding and high safety factor. Secondly, the mountain e-bike frame can be installed with a rear rack and turned into a "touring e-bike".

3. Mountain e-bike accessories are very versatile, have a lot of choices, are cheap, and are very easy to match. The frame is the soul of a car, and the quality of the frame can make a car feel different when riding it.
I agree the frame is the most important component in building an ebike. If you are building a short distance rockhopper an MTB is the logical place to start but MTB frames have serious limitations when trying to mouth a large battery. That pesky shock keeps getting in the way. They also don't work and play well with most racks which are essential for eTouring. If distance riding is what you want then MTB frames probably aren't the way to go.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ADgC6oyPM2gyrCq27

I agree the frame is the most important component in building an ebike. If you are building a short distance rockhopper an MTB is the logical place to start but MTB frames have serious limitations when trying to mouth a large battery. That pesky shock keeps getting in the way. They also don't work and play well with most racks which are essential for eTouring. If distance riding is what you want then MTB frames probably aren't the way to go.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ADgC6oyPM2gyrCq27

Ok .... so ... what would be a good, relatively low cost mountain bike frame that was rack friendly?

Use almost any hard tail mtb frame. I converted a GT hardtail 29er and had no trouble with the battery installation.

Ok .... so ... what would be a good, relatively low cost mountain bike frame that was rack friendly?
No idea, man. You have to know what battery you are going to be using and you need to do the work yourself. No one but you knows what the perfect bike is for you. If touring is more your thing look at the FAIV Hoogar front rack, and there are plenty of bolt-on rear racks to choose from, and frames can always be modified if it is absolutely necessary. I haven't seen a single MTB with the shock being mounted in the frame triangle that would hold more than an average pint-sized battery, or worse two micro batteries. Most all hardtail frames would hold a big battery... but who wants a hardtail for distance riding, someone that doesn't ride much. I have a neighbor that after watching me ride for a year bought a Rad Rover ebike online (against my recommendations) with little to no understanding of what he was doing. Six months later he bought a different ebike because, to be honest, the Rad is kind of a POS. Now he has 4 different ebikes all with different batteries and chargers, and not a single one can ride with me for more than a couple of hours at a time. Take your time and do it right and you won't end up with a garage full of low-end landfill material... or a hardtail that you don't want to ride much. Stay safe, Matt.

Back