Noob Needing Advice on 1st MTB Build

IanHoll

Local time
1:06 PM
I've decided to build my first e-bike so I can commute to work. It's a 12 mile each way commute so I'm wanting some pedal assist as I do 12 hour shifts and I really don't want to spend 2 hrs a day cycling. Not to mention getting sweaty as I arrive at work. I've currently got an old 2006 Scott Ransom 40. It's old, but it's in really good condition and hardly used so I'm planning to convert it.

Being a total noob I've done some research and I'm planning on buying a 1000w Bafang BBSHD before the locked down 625 totally replaces it. I've chosen the 1000w because I want power and speed without heat. Because of my MTB's frame design I think I'm going to have to hang the battery from beneath the down pipe whilst ensuring the front wheel doesn't come into contact with the battery pack when the front shock is at its lowest point.

With all of that said can someone please help me out with a few quesions like am I correct believing it's the 68-73mm BBSHD I need for the 2006 Scott Ransom? I've measured it and it seems to be roughly that size., but I just want to be sure! Also what size lower bracket should I get? Doing tarmac should I get the standard 46t for normal gearing? And just one last thing. Because I'm having to mount the battery beneath the down pipe, is there a preferred size battery I should mount and mounting solutions that will help me achieve this?

Any help and other tips much appreciated!

Regards,

Ian

Do you have a significant amount of hillclimb or is there some other reason to incur the extra cost and maintenance of a mid-drive?

Do you have a significant amount of hillclimb or is there some other reason to incur the extra cost and maintenance of a mid-drive?
I just like the aesthetics and prefer the design. And I don't want to have odd wheels. I've looked at the pros and cons and I just prefer the mid-drive. Should I opt for the 52v 14ah battery pack over the 48v packs?

Guys I'd really appreciate some help with this new build. Because my bike's so old it's not been straight forward finding the specs. But I've discovered that the bottom bracket is a Shimano BB-ES30 with a FC-M540 crankset having a 44T so I think the 46T shouldn't give me any clearance issues.With my bike's mentioned bottom bracket is it the 68-73mm BBSHD I need? I ask because it's a £900+ kit I'm buying shipped from Europe & the only accept faulty returns so I have to be double sure I don't buy the wrong size.

My brakes are hydraulic so I guess I'll be installing the sensors which I prefer. Are the Bafang battery packs any good? Or should I opt for a different battery pack? I believe the Bafang are Samsung cells. But so are all the fake mobile phone batteries on eBay.

All I know about bottom brackets is you gotta be Real Careful how you measure them. But it's an easy install.

Bafang is generally of decent to good quality.

Does your BB look like this one on Ebay? BB-ES30
It's listed as 68mm.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
It's definitely the 68-73mm version I need. I now just need to work out the battery I'm going to use. I think I'll opt for the 52v 17.5ah Bafang so I'll buy the kit from an Amazon seller.

Well, here she is. I finally finished my 1st e-bike. I'm a total noob, but Google was my friend. I've installed a 1000w BBSHD with a 17.5ah battery and gear sensor. Because of clearance issues I've had to keep to a 44T chain ring. The supplied Bafang 46T chain ring that was included with the kit fouled the frame. Adding spacers to give me enought clearance didn't leave me enough thread to install the locking ring. The bafang 44T doesn't seem to be dished enough leaving me unable to access lower gears, so I may have to upgrade the chain ring. I'm going to have to adjust he derailleur, although I'm concerned that the chain line in lower gears will be too far off with this chain ring.

I've used the Speeed app and tuned the controller to my preferred custom setup. I'm just waiting on a low-profile half-throttle now as I don't really get on with the supplied thumb throttle. Needless to say its form factor gets in the way of the gear shifters so having to install it too far center of the handlebars makes it too far away and uncomfortable to depress.

I spent quiet a lot of time doing the cable management. Having built several high-spec gaming rigs has given me plenty of practice with cable management, so keeping things neat and tidy came second nature - albeit time consuming.

Anyways, for my 1st e-bike build I'm pretty happy with the performance and end result

ebike.jpg

Hey, great job Ian! That bike looks awesome!
Forget about work, it looks like you can just ride it back and forth from the fridge to the couch. :)

It sure sounds like you know what you’re doing. Great job on your first bike.
:cool:(y)

I don’t know squat about building bikes, but am much better about putting one in my online shopping cart and pressing “Buy.” Maybe someday.

I think you’ll really enjoy commuting to work. I started doing that with my ebike this summer for the reasons you mentioned in your OP. It’s just a great way to start the day, and I find that when I get home from work, I’m not as corked up and stressed when I walk in the door, as I decompressed on the scenic ride home.

Happy biking!
~Shawn

Hey, great job Ian! That bike looks awesome!
Forget about work, it looks like you can just ride it back and forth from the fridge to the couch. :)

It sure sounds like you know what you’re doing. Great job on your first bike.
:cool:(y)

I don’t know squat about building bikes, but am much better about putting one in my online shopping cart and pressing “Buy.” Maybe someday.

I think you’ll really enjoy commuting to work. I started doing that with my ebike this summer for the reasons you mentioned in your OP. It’s just a great way to start the day, and I find that when I get home from work, I’m not as corked up and stressed when I walk in the door, as I decompressed on the scenic ride home.

Happy biking!
~Shawn
Thanks Shaun. I've ridden the bike twice to work now. It's not too clever of a route, but it'll get better the more fitter I get. In the mornings I'm having to commute 12 miles, so I like to average 24mph to make it a 30 min journey. I'm approximately 96kg and I carry my food and drink etc in a rucksack, so the more weight I lose the easier it'll become. It's more of a race to work ATM, but I might give myself an extra 10 mins journey time to take the pressure off.

Cheers,

Ian

Back