Non Adhesive Heat Shrink Tape

BretCahill

Local time
4:13 PM
I'm replacing the cells in a vastly overpriced ($1100) 10s 4p BMZ with Rosenberger connectors. At first it seemed daunting but that was true for the damaged motor, hydraulic brakes and the 10s 3p range extender battery hacked from the new 10s 7p conventional battery. The electronics are all on a 40mm X 250mm board on top of the cell bank and looks like all I need to do is build the new cell bank, then when ready, turn off the old battery, loosen the board to drill out all the spot welds and carefully photograph and wrap each of the nickel strip assemblies noting the order and wire color. All BMS and power wires AFAICT are soldered to the nickel strip assemblies.

I wanted to be flexible enough to work around any surprises so was considering non adhesive heat shrink tape which is very cheap and removable if Plan A doesn't work out.

Has anyone ever used heat shrink tape on battery packs?

I hardly ever go into the battery compartment so, as long as the nickel strips don't flex much from pot holes, I don't need a really nice looking battery.

Attachments

• 20221006_150326.jpg
    20221006_150326.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 86
I'm replacing the cells in a vastly overpriced ($1100) 10s 4p BMZ with Rosenberger connectors. At first it seemed daunting but that was true for the damaged motor, hydraulic brakes and the 10s 3p range extender battery hacked from the new 10s 7p conventional battery. The electronics are all on a 40mm X 250mm board on top of the cell bank and looks like all I need to do is build the new cell bank, then when ready, turn off the old battery, loosen the board to drill out all the spot welds and carefully photograph and wrap each of the nickel strip assemblies noting the order and wire color. All BMS and power wires AFAICT are soldered to the nickel strip assemblies.

I wanted to be flexible enough to work around any surprises so was considering non adhesive heat shrink tape which is very cheap and removable if Plan A doesn't work out.

Has anyone ever used heat shrink tape on battery packs?

I hardly ever go into the battery compartment so, as long as the nickel strips don't flex much from pot holes, I don't need a really nice looking battery.
Heat shrink tape? Didn't know there was such a thing. Where do you get it?

It's basically a tape the heat-fuses together permanently. Pretty good stuff actually.

Heat shrink tape? Didn't know there was such a thing. Where do you get it?
I never heard of it either until today although I was wondering for quite some time if long strips of heat shrink tubing could be used in a similar manner. The tape is definitely cheaper. There are two kinds, adhesive which is more permanent and more costly and non adhesive which is removable and really cheap 180' of 1" for ~ $12.

Just overlap wrap each 4p then overlap wrap the 10 fours together in series.

I saved 20 spacers from the new battery to keep everything on a square pattern.

Even if I need to glue the ends to something or each other it still is worth it but I can probably just tuck the ends under then heat.

The wiring from the old BMZ will still be attached to the old nickel strips and the new cell bank still has nickel strips. I probably wasted $7 on new nickel strips.

Back