NJ laws. Which of these two bikes will work?

daneebee

Local time
5:26 PM
So I live in Long Branch NJ The rules the way I’ve looked them up is Motor not larger than 750. And no power assist after 20moh. So first question is do I have that right. Are they the current guidelines for Nj.
And if so. I’m considering 2 bikes
1. Ariel Grizzly. Which has 1000 w motors.
2 Ariel D class. Which has 750 w motors

Both come with 20 mph limiter if chosen. So the obvious question here is for city riding. Will it matter that the grizzly has the 1000w motor. Will it matter police wise. ?

Also separate question. In NJ do you have to wear a helmet if you are an adult ? Thanks in advance

American CPSA definition of an ebike under Public Law 107-319, 116 Stat. 2776 (the Act), enacted December 4, 2002.... a low-speed electric bicycle (LSEB) (Class-1) ebike is “a two-or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph.”

Complying with this definition means that a Class-1 ebike can ride anywhere in America that standard bicycles are allowed including national parks and forests.

Hi, I just took my ebike on a 55 mile trip (draining 1 of 2 batteries or 110 mile round trip) landing me in Long Branch/Monmouth Beach a couple weeks ago.

I ride a 1500w 52v hub motor conversion kit bike with a triangle battery (highly visible) and full front and rear panniers, and I was pulling a bob trailer with a small generator (just in case) on this battery range test ride.

I never wear a helmet, and I often ride around 25mph and have never been bothered by cops, even in Wall Treasonship!

I even spoke to a friendly bike cop in Seaside, he didn't have an ebike!

On a federal level, you need a moped licence to ride over 20mph (on level ground, and by motor only).

So, basically, what I'm saying is: get any bike you like, it's how you ride it that matters the most. Ride safely and you shouldn't have any problems.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice, just based on my personal experience as an ebike rider in NJ. Also I'm a white bearded old dude disguised as a cross country rider on tour!

Or claimer? Get a moped licence if you plan on riding faster than 20mph or if possible, electroncally limit your speed to 20mph.

Hi, I just took my ebike on a 55 mile trip (draining 1 of 2 batteries or 110 mile round trip) landing me in Long Branch/Monmouth Beach a couple weeks ago.

I ride a 1500w 52v hub motor conversion kit bike with a triangle battery (highly visible) and full front and rear panniers, and I was pulling a bob trailer with a small generator (just in case) on this battery range test ride.

I never wear a helmet, and I often ride around 25mph and have never been bothered by cops, even in Wall Treasonship!

I even spoke to a friendly bike cop in Seaside, he didn't have an ebike!

On a federal level, you need a moped licence to ride over 20mph (on level ground, and by motor only).

So, basically, what I'm saying is: get any bike you like, it's how you ride it that matters the most. Ride safely and you shouldn't have any problems.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice, just based on my personal experience as an ebike rider in NJ. Also I'm a white bearded old dude disguised as a cross country rider on tour!

Or claimer? Get a moped licence if you plan on riding faster than 20mph or if possible, electroncally limit your speed to 20mph.

One consideration could also be liability. A cop probably won’t know how many watts an ebike’s motor has when driving by, but if an ebiker gets in an accident (MVA, hits a pedestrian or another biker, etc) and especially if injuries/damage occurs, then that ebike likely becomes evidence. If the rider is found to have been riding illegally, that could probably have serious outcomes in legal decisions and liability.

I‘m definitely not a lawyer, though.

Most accidents with pedestrians involve motorists and the majority of the time the cause on the police reports is that the driver was distracted or inattentive. No one goes to jail and the motorists' auto insurance is not negated.

When it comes to someone suing that happens regardless when an ambulance chasing attorney is involved. A teenager in San Jose CA bought beer with a friend at two stores and later drove into a wall and the friend died. The parents of the friend proceeded to sue the parents of the driver, the two stores that sold the boys beer, the car dealer that sold them the car, and the city of San Jose as it was a wall on city property.

Bottom line is that attorneys are happy to sue and the reason for having insurance is that your insurance company has hundreds of attorneys so in effect you are buying legal assistance in advance.

I ride a bike in NJ that's limited to 20 mph on pedal assist, never been stopped. I also always wear a helmet whether it's law or not, my head is valuable to me.

When California passed one of the first laws to mandate helmets for motorcycle and bicycle riders there was a dramatic loss of organ donors. Young people would arrive at a hospital with a serious brain injury and with healthy organs and were ideal candidates.

Back