Newbie with questions. Great to have friends to offer advice.

Reino14

Local time
9:34 PM
I’ve pretty much decided to put a kit on my bike. I’m 75+, in pretty good health, a former runner, weigh 175 lbs. I have a Jamis 26” bike I bought used 5 years ago … aluminum frame, steel fork, 32.5 lbs. My plan is to install a mid drive TSDZ2B kit, with a good quality but modest capacity battery.
I hope to have a lighter weight cruiser, smooth, seldom to travel over 15 mph. Few hills, mostly good pavement here in this senior community. I’ve been a technical person, have read all I can, but need to hear from those with hands on experience. Main question now is there any point in buying a 36 volt system as 90% current offerings are 48 volt. Also, is this bike a good candidate for a kit? Comments much appreciated. Thank you. Reino

What I am saying with the 36-volt comment: does the mid-drive 250/350 watt motor have essentially the same battery consumption as the 48- volt battery/500 watt motor combo ... if operated the same way. In other words why not buy the popular 48-volt system over the 36-volt/250-350 watt system if it has no real world advantage. The US market seems to be mostly 48-volt. Thanks. Reino

I have two 48 V systems now. Just old another one. Got rid of the 36 V system; it was very weak by comparison.

Go for 52 V if you can; 48 V minimum.

Mid-drive has the advantage that the motor system can take advantage of the mechanical gears, but the disadvantage that the chain and sprockets are going to wear a lot faster with that extra torque from the motor.

I have a Bafang midmount 48V 750W on an old Specialized that I have necked down to 80% total output at full throttle, and further tweaked the assist levels so that the lower ones, one 2 3 4, are only ten to 25% of the available so I can ride with my grandkids. It is possible to adjust the Bafang controller but I had to go to a local bike shop which had the software to do it. I have essentially never used assist above the 50% level (of the total of 80% tops) so really only 40%. Don't be afraid to buy the more common unit- it will have more battery capacity as well I imagine- and get some help to set your assist levels where you want them.

I have a Bafang midmount 48V 750W on an old Specialized that I have necked down to 80% total output at full throttle, and further tweaked the assist levels so that the lower ones, one 2 3 4, are only ten to 25% of the available so I can ride with my grandkids. It is possible to adjust the Bafang controller but I had to go to a local bike shop which had the software to do it. I have essentially never used assist above the 50% level (of the total of 80% tops) so really only 40%. Don't be afraid to buy the more common unit- it will have more battery capacity as well I imagine- and get some help to set your assist levels where you want them.

Thanks DMac ... I am going with the Bafang 48v. I now have a 2017 Raleigh step through with failed mid-drive. I'm double checking the fit for Bafang, I believe it will fit. I wish I could do motor output changes myself. I'm somewhat surprised that a dealer has to make changes.
Thanks again, Jim

I have two 48 V systems now. Just old another one. Got rid of the 36 V system; it was very weak by comparison.

Go for 52 V if you can; 48 V minimum.

Mid-drive has the advantage that the motor system can take advantage of the mechanical gears, but the disadvantage that the chain and sprockets are going to wear a lot faster with that extra torque from the motor.
Thanks Smaug. I'm taking your advice.

I have a problem with the Bafang- we had a close lighning strike while the battery was plugged in to charge which wiped the drive unit out completely. My local guy put a new motor in (not sure that was the problem, but it at least works now), BUT, the battery percentage readout fluctuates all over the map even when the battery is fully charged. Any thoughts on how to get the screen to show actual battery SOC? Thanks!

Thanks DMac ... I am going with the Bafang 48v. I now have a 2017 Raleigh step through with failed mid-drive. I'm double checking the fit for Bafang, I believe it will fit. I wish I could do motor output changes myself. I'm somewhat surprised that a dealer has to make changes.
Thanks again, Jim
You can absolutely do your motor programing yourself you just need one of these to connect to a windows computer. https://www.amazon.com/BAFANG-Progr...-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Download the program and you are in business. It's quite easy and there is lots of advice here,https://ebikesforum.com/resources/bafang-8fun-programming-software-guide-bbs02-bbshd.29/ and here https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/
and here, https://talesontwowheels.com/2021/01/18/bbshd_settings_programming/ and also youtube.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Further problems with the Bafang- the battery is fully charged BUT trhe screen shows goofy fluctuating % of charge and then, when it shows 0%, the mid-mount motor stops. Any thoughts on how to diagnose where the problem is? I can pull the main wire and check voltage actually coming from the battery, but beyond that? Thanks!

Back