Newbie looking for his first E-Bike

blockaidrunner54

Local time
3:15 PM
Hello everyone, my name is is Alan and I’m 70 years old, a Veteran and I’m disabled, plus I’m going for my 21st back surgery soon.
I’m not very good with computers, but it seems like the more I look at all the different E-Bikes and trying to learn a little about them, seems the more confused I get . I tried looking at several sites that says they are not biased and there’s a lot of them. But I’ve yet to come across two sites that agree on a manufacturer or a bike ‍♂️.
Anyway I’m going to see if I can make some since of all the different things that I need to know before I invest in one and I’m hoping to get headed in the right direction with all the knowledge that is on forum, why not try ‍♂️.
So with that said, HELP! I was about 6’1” before I broke my back and I’m now around 5’ 11” and 160ish lbs. and I’m about to have my 21st back surgery and I need to exercise before and after surgery. I can’t be on my feet more than about a hour before I need to sit or lay down, making it hard to go any good walks. I thought a ebike would be a big help, I’m sitting and that takes a big load off my back. The reason for ebike vs a regular bike is I can’t go down the street without hitting a hill and the ebike will help with that.
Because I want to do other things than just exercise with the bike, I think I’m right saying that I like to have a class 3 bike so I can have 28 mph option if needed and I’d like it to be a comfortable ride, be water proof, and one that doesn’t need a lot of shop time (reliable) and have a good bit of accessories that I can add as needed, like a rack for my cane, a place for raincoat and other things. I don’t have 2-4K for a bike, but I also know I’m not going to get much with $5-$600.00 bucks. I would like to keep it around $800 to $1300 and as high as 2K, but it would have to be a GOOD one. I’d also like to get another ebike for a friend between 5 to $800 bucks, to see if they are going to enjoy it.
I’m sorry for the long thread but I’m hoping someone will see my information and give me some ideas, names and models in my price range.
Thanks to everyone that takes the time to read & share some of your knowledge with me. I can’t afford to invest in the wrong E-Bike, thanks again

Do you live near a REI Cooperative or a local bike shop? REI has a spectacular return policy and you can try before you buy.

Other than that, I suggest a step thru model. Lots of choices. You need to decide how high you can lift your leg.

Welcome to the forum, Alan, and thank you for serving!

I agree with Procreator, in that if you have an option to test ride a bike at a local shop, that’s a great option. I also agree with the step-thru frame. I am in my mid-50s and feel the grief sometimes when I have to swing my leg over the bike.

I would consider whether you really want a Class 3, especially at 70. Bike falls are always dangerous, but particularly if you’re sailing along at 28MPH. I commute regularly, and find that 17-18 MPH is a comfortable, brisk pace.

I would personally stay away from ebikes under $1,000…..you may be asking for trouble (although some forum members have bought cheaper bikes and love them). There are a lot of quality brands/makes in the $1,500 - $2,000 range. That seems to be the sweet spot where you can get a pretty quality product while still keeping cost more manageable. While planning your budget, consider expenses such as add-on gear, bike rack, helmet, repair supplies, and even insurance.

I ride an Aventon Pace 500 and I love it so much I almost want to buy a second for future use (before they change it, LOL). But that’s just me….poke around the forum and you’ll get a good feel for popular brands.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you'll be making a sizeable investment. The bike will need periodic tune-ups or maintenance. Some of these are simple and others more difficult. However, in most cases they involve wrangling a 60lb hunk of metal around. If you're not inclined to do that or are not physically not able to do so, then a local bike shop is your best friend. There is no shame in that.

If you'll be hauling your bike to a shop or even to trails, you'll also want to invest in a good hitch-mounted rack. There are even models that have ramps attached so you don't have to lift the bike.

Another thing to consider is your riding posture. Do you want a more upright position or a more forward leaning one? The forward leaning one will transfer more body weight to the arms and wrists whereas the upright will put more weight on your buttocks. There are suspension seat posts, etc., that adsorb bumps for a more comfortable ride.

Hello everyone, my name is is Alan and I’m 70 years old, a Veteran and I’m disabled, plus I’m going for my 21st back surgery soon.
I’m not very good with computers, but it seems like the more I look at all the different E-Bikes and trying to learn a little about them, seems the more confused I get . I tried looking at several sites that says they are not biased and there’s a lot of them. But I’ve yet to come across two sites that agree on a manufacturer or a bike ‍♂️.
Anyway I’m going to see if I can make some since of all the different things that I need to know before I invest in one and I’m hoping to get headed in the right direction with all the knowledge that is on forum, why not try ‍♂️.
So with that said, HELP! I was about 6’1” before I broke my back and I’m now around 5’ 11” and 160ish lbs. and I’m about to have my 21st back surgery and I need to exercise before and after surgery. I can’t be on my feet more than about a hour before I need to sit or lay down, making it hard to go any good walks. I thought a ebike would be a big help, I’m sitting and that takes a big load off my back. The reason for ebike vs a regular bike is I can’t go down the street without hitting a hill and the ebike will help with that.
Because I want to do other things than just exercise with the bike, I think I’m right saying that I like to have a class 3 bike so I can have 28 mph option if needed and I’d like it to be a comfortable ride, be water proof, and one that doesn’t need a lot of shop time (reliable) and have a good bit of accessories that I can add as needed, like a rack for my cane, a place for raincoat and other things. I don’t have 2-4K for a bike, but I also know I’m not going to get much with $5-$600.00 bucks. I would like to keep it around $800 to $1300 and as high as 2K, but it would have to be a GOOD one. I’d also like to get another ebike for a friend between 5 to $800 bucks, to see if they are going to enjoy it.
I’m sorry for the long thread but I’m hoping someone will see my information and give me some ideas, names and models in my price range.
Thanks to everyone that takes the time to read & share some of your knowledge with me. I can’t afford to invest in the wrong E-Bike, thanks again
Welcome to the forums @blockaidrunner54 :cool:

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and information . I had 23 years of working for the Power Company in SC. as a class A mechanic before I broke my back and a total of 50 something years experience in the mechanical field. While I’ve never worked on a e-bike before but if I can get my hands on a repair manual, I feel confident about any minor maintenance and repairs and I’m pretty Proficient at understanding DC voltage and schematic, but will probably leave the big jobs for the pro’s .
I can’t thank everyone who shares their knowledge with me, enough . This is my first time with a forum and I’m surprised at the friendly & helpfulness I have found here, thanks everyone

I agree with Procreator, in that if you have an option to test ride a bike at a local shop, that’s a great option. I also agree with the step-thru frame. I am in my mid-50s and feel the grief sometimes when I have to swing my leg over the bike.

I would consider whether you really want a Class 3, especially at 70. Bike falls are always dangerous, but particularly if you’re sailing along at 28MPH. I commute regularly, and find that 17-18 MPH is a comfortable, brisk pace.

I would personally stay away from ebikes under $1,000…..you may be asking for trouble (although some forum members have bought cheaper bikes and love them). There are a lot of quality brands/makes in the $1,500 - $2,000 range. That seems to be the sweet spot where you can get a pretty quality product while still keeping cost more manageable. While planning your budget, consider expenses such as add-on gear, bike rack, helmet, repair supplies, and even insurance.

I ride an Aventon Pace 500 and I love it so much I almost want to buy a second for future use (before they change it, LOL). But that’s just me….poke around the forum and you’ll get a good feel for popular brands.
Hi Snoop, I meant to ask you if the Pace is water proof?

Hi Snoop, I meant to ask you if the Pace is water proof?

I‘ve read that it can get wet, but they advise against riding in a driving, heavy rain.

From the Pace 500.2 manual:

555AD31A-97B5-41DE-96EA-5390978BD6EE.jpeg

I always watch the weather when I plan on commuting, but I did get caught in a light rain riding home once. I knew the bike would be fine, but I parked under a tree until it passed anyway <grin>.

I would strongly suggest you talk to your back doctor before buying an e bike. They are excellent for getting controlled exercise but that doesn't mean that would be good for your suffering back.

Some good advice here.......talk to your doctor. If OK......look at Lectric ebikes......they come fully assembled.....are very reasonably priced and are easy to work on. I am just shy of 70.....have a new knee and hip.......I love my XP 2.0 step thru.......a perfect bike for me. Good luck and welcome.

I have 3700 miles on my Lectric XP. I bought it slightly damaged from them - $835 out the door. It has given my zero trouble other than a failed battery that was replaced under warranty and normal tire wear.

I have 3700 miles on my Lectric XP. I bought it slightly damaged from them - $835 out the door. It has given my zero trouble other than a failed battery that was replaced under warranty and normal tire wear.
PS: I’m 72 years old.

Welcome! I am disabled as well and can definitely relate to the confusion you're experiencing. The vast majority of "reviews", esp on YouTube, are done buy people who #1 get free ebike and/or swag from companies and #2 review the bike after riding for a few to several hours not months. Either way I don't believe anything they say. This forum is fantastic though just wish I'd found it earlier

I am 74 and currently can’t ride but have a Lectric Xp 2.0. I started with an Ancheer folding mountain bike 36 volt from Amazon to see how I would like an ebike for $650 and bought my wife the Ancheer 20”. Put Schwinn Cruiser seats on them on we put about 2000 miles on them with virtually no issues what so ever except original tires wore out in about 300 miles. The new ones are 48 v for about the same price. We are in southwest Florida and totally on flat ground and good pavement. Not recommending them but passing on my experience. I started seeing Lectrics and my brother in law and sister bought the Lectric 2.0 and loved them that’s when I decided to go that way. Found one online while looking for a site to sell mine with 44 hrs and bought it for $725 sold mine for $500 in 20 min. I’ve had Xp for almost 2 months and because of prostate issues and surgery coming up haven’t been able to ride it yet. So that’s my experience. Sorry to be so long winded by I’m down for the count waiting for surgery and I think this is a great forum.

To expound a bit on the reason for the Lectric XP 2.0 there are several very good YouTube channels that I found very informative and very helpful one is pedal with power great sight walks you right through anything you ever want to do and Paul and Paula‘s channel because he has a solution for no lift loading and loading loading specifically of the XP 2.0’s. When I saw his video of how he loads and unload without lifting at all I was duh Why I had night thought of that I bought that whole system for $130 it contains your bike with complete security inside your vehicle what ever it is keeps it out of the rain and And contains it inside the car you can also still tow the JetSki your trailer of boat whatever and I have a JetSki all the toys but are currently unable to play with any of them. This is hopefully a temporary situation but it’s getting old quick hope this helps I can’t wait to jump on mine

I have a Rad Runner 2 (1499.00) What a solid bike it is. Look at the review between the rad runner and the quiet kat. They sell for over 3k
All the best with your choice.

Also, forgot to add. Make sure you check out the reviews for each bike and their customer service on their website. Some of these ebike companies have terrible customer service.

Alan, if you're still here and haven't bought something yet, check out the Lectric XP Trike.

It seems like you might go out and find you need to take a break from time to time without worrying about balance. It's right in the middle of your price range.

Let us know what's going on; it's been awhile since you posted this thread.

Back