Newbie looking for his first E-Bike

Hello everyone, my name is is Alan and I’m 70 years old, a Veteran and I’m disabled, plus I’m going for my 21st back surgery soon.
I’m not very good with computers, but it seems like the more I look at all the different E-Bikes and trying to learn a little about them, seems the more confused I get . I tried looking at several sites that says they are not biased and there’s a lot of them. But I’ve yet to come across two sites that agree on a manufacturer or a bike ‍♂️.
Anyway I’m going to see if I can make some since of all the different things that I need to know before I invest in one and I’m hoping to get headed in the right direction with all the knowledge that is on forum, why not try ‍♂️.
So with that said, HELP! I was about 6’1” before I broke my back and I’m now around 5’ 11” and 160ish lbs. and I’m about to have my 21st back surgery and I need to exercise before and after surgery. I can’t be on my feet more than about a hour before I need to sit or lay down, making it hard to go any good walks. I thought a ebike would be a big help, I’m sitting and that takes a big load off my back. The reason for ebike vs a regular bike is I can’t go down the street without hitting a hill and the ebike will help with that.
Because I want to do other things than just exercise with the bike, I think I’m right saying that I like to have a class 3 bike so I can have 28 mph option if needed and I’d like it to be a comfortable ride, be water proof, and one that doesn’t need a lot of shop time (reliable) and have a good bit of accessories that I can add as needed, like a rack for my cane, a place for raincoat and other things. I don’t have 2-4K for a bike, but I also know I’m not going to get much with $5-$600.00 bucks. I would like to keep it around $800 to $1300 and as high as 2K, but it would have to be a GOOD one. I’d also like to get another ebike for a friend between 5 to $800 bucks, to see if they are going to enjoy it.
I’m sorry for the long thread but I’m hoping someone will see my information and give me some ideas, names and models in my price range.
Thanks to everyone that takes the time to read & share some of your knowledge with me. I can’t afford to invest in the wrong E-Bike, thanks again
Sorry to hear about your back. I've had 5 surgeries and year ago a new knee and one more to go. I know what it's like gravity. I also after a hour or so and walking , standing, even sitting need to rest back (whole body). But I refuse to not try new things to get outside go see things. My doctors few years back before knee surgery both telling me about e bikes because I was trying to ride my k2 4000 mtn bike but pedaling or when you start pedaling and hills just to painfully. I now need to lose more weight and since one doctor had 3 Engwe e bike in his family I decided to buy one. Bought it last oct and when not snowing raining I love getting on it and excise while I look around town and trails. Best thing for me. And I've meet alot of good people.
Keep moving e bike will help you smile with the pain but just never give up.
Have a safe ride and good luck to yeah.

You might look on Craigslist. I found a nearly new bike for a steal of a price. I was looking for a class 2 commuter and walked away with a class 3 fat tire bike. Super happy with it. It has suspension, step through, upright riding posture, came with fenders, lights, a horn, a rear rack, and those fat tires eat bad pavement for brekkie. Hills are there for the taking.

You'll like it.

Look around for something that won't cost retail, you'll get a better deal!

I am very happy with my Lectric xp step through. I have had to call the company to get the controller replaced. Other than that the bike has been good 1700 miles so far.

Back