Newbee diagnosing e-trike Multimeter question

paralectric

Local time
5:36 AM
Hi, my life depends on my e-trike as i cannot walk anymore. Led-light-indicator is in the yellow zone. I must find the problem myself if possible as techs are hyper expensive and rare in my area & for my model.
As a newbee i see my trike is 3x12v batteries. Model page indicates 36v 350W
It's called a Mototec trike see here: https://mototecusa.com/mototec-electric-trike-mobility-scooter-36v-500w.aspx
First step i figure is getting a multimeter to test where current is not connecting right?(any other advice appreciated).
Is a multimeter with a simple 12v setting good if the total is 36v(am a total newbee) ? And i also have to test the charger so i just wanna make sure i'm getting the right multimeter tool. This multimeter on amazon say exactly 12v, good enough to work on my trike or not?
https://www.amazon.ca/AstroAI-Auto-...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Thankyou

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hi, my life depends on my e-trike as i cannot walk anymore. Led-light-indicator is in the yellow zone. I must find the problem myself if possible as techs are hyper expensive and rare in my area & for my model.
As a newbee i see my trike is 3x12v batteries. Model page indicates 36v 350W
It's called a Mototec trike see here: https://mototecusa.com/mototec-electric-trike-mobility-scooter-36v-500w.aspx
First step i figure is getting a multimeter to test where current is not connecting right?(any other advice appreciated).
Is a multimeter with a simple 12v setting good if the total is 36v(am a total newbee) ? And i also have to test the charger so i just wanna make sure i'm getting the right multimeter tool. This multimeter on amazon say exactly 12v, good enough to work on my trike or not?
https://www.amazon.ca/AstroAI-Auto-Ranging-Non-Contact-Capacitance-Thanksgiving/dp/B0842HTN8C/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3V3WZNFW5XCGE&keywords=multimeter+astroa1+12v&qid=1648061126&sprefix=multimeter+astroa1+12v,aps,145&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A2NOFZGOKNP3PJ&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRDNLT1AwV09UODkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxOTIzNTYyMFc4VTVFMUs2N1kzJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3OTYwOTkyRzVUQTFQM0EyNzA1JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Thankyou
The battery is not charging or is it charging, but the battery meter shows it’s low?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Thankyou Bobby
I did plug the charger a few hours & the lights remain on low. The same low i rolled home on last. Scoot had a lesser spin force. After months of good road the scoot is suddenly weird. Last time i got it fixed it had some melted wires/plug. Don't wanna have to roll out & push it back home with my weak legs. Maybe i will have to, but firsti am shopping for a multimeter because i really have the intuition i must test my wires & charger. Can you please tell me if a 12v multimeter is a ok tool if:
A) the total of 3 12v batteries equals 36v 350w
B) is this multimeter good to test the charger
Link to this Multimeter

Thankyou Bobby
I did plug the charger a few hours & the lights remain on low. The same low i rolled home on last. Scoot had a lesser spin force. After months of good road the scoot is suddenly weird. Last time i got it fixed it had some melted wires/plug. Don't wanna have to roll out & push it back home with my weak legs. Maybe i will have to, but firsti am shopping for a multimeter because i really have the intuition i must test my wires & charger. Can you please tell me if a 12v multimeter is a ok tool if:
A) the total of 3 12v batteries equals 36v 350w
B) is this multimeter good to test the charger
Link to this Multimeter
Unfortunately the link is in a different country so it won’t work on my Amazon. However, If I was testing a system with 36v I would like an mulitmeter that goes past 36v. You might want to read what voltage is coming out of the battery, so you would need to have a multimeter that can read up to 36v. An OHM meter reads resistance, this should also be part of any multimeter you purchase.

Actually it needs to go a bit over 36V, Need to know what type of batteries you are using, Lead seems likely, these would charge around 40V, Don't know specs on lead, Lithium would be 42V.

YOU NEED TO SUPPLY MORE INFORMATION.

Melted wires usually means some sort of large load on the system. Need to know roughly how much weight the trike is hauling, and what kind of hills you have.

Need the voltage stamped on the charger, how often you charge, and whether or not the batteries were left in a low-charge state for days or longer.

It is likely the batteries were over-discharged or under-charged, and need replacement. Recently purchased a 36V, supposedly 16ah shrink-wrap battery , with charger, for $225. Lead is cheaper but will not last as long.

What happens on the indicator light if you charge for 4-6-8 hours? How long is a "few"? Use standard time units.

Oh, to answer the multimeter question.

NO. A multimeter with a max voltage setting of 12V will NOT repeat NOT be able to test a 36V battery.

Just a comment on the multimeter. The battery settings on this meter are for small, household batteries only. Like flash lights and maybe up to a car battery. All other voltage measurements should be done using the voltage setting on the meter. This should be able to measure the battery charger current. All of the meters in this price range should work for your needs.

Just a comment on the multimeter. The battery settings on this meter are for small, household batteries only. Like flash lights and maybe up to a car battery. All other voltage measurements should be done using the voltage setting on the meter. This should be able to measure the battery charger current. All of the meters in this price range should work for your needs.

Another comment on the meter. You would be better off with something like this that has clamp on measurement for DC current. To check the output of your charger you need to split the cable and put the clamp around one of the wires to measure the current. Otherwise you need to make an adapter for your charger plug so that the current flows through the meter you are using. May or may not be easy depending upon the charger plug.

Back