New to the forum, issue on video

unka

Local time
7:12 AM
Hello. I'm new to this forum and arrive here with an issue I haven't seen anywhere else online. When the rear wheel is held up (under no torque) it spins fine. With even a small amount of torque, the bike squawks like a duck caught in a fence gate. This particular hub motor has no viewable means of access to the inner workings...any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6324.MOV
    3.4 MB
One, usually both, of those side covers is removable. Sounds like a geared hub motor that has crushed the plastic gears, possibly a clutch problem. What I think you are hearing is the broken plastic teeth on the planetaries rubbing on the sun gear, with no load, they will engage and spin, with a load, they just bend out of the way.

Fairly easy replacement, not too expensive other than shipping.

There are no screws on either side of the motor and the spokes thread to both sides of the hub. There is no visible access to the motor. :(

The sound it makes when under torque feels more like a vibration than a grinding...hope that helps.

I see.

Well..., First, the spokes THREAD to the rim, they do NOT thread into the hub.

Second, is that disk brake rotor attached to the motor by magic, or by SCREWS?

The screw holes serve as leverage points and the side cover unscrews from the case.

Your information is incorrect. This is called a 'pressed hub' and it required a special puller to take it apart for access to the motor and windings. ALL OF THE SPOKES NEEDED TO BE DISCONNECTED.

Have never seen, or even heard of, such a motor disassembly.

Virtually ALL unscrew the side covers.

did you personally witness the disassembly? Methinks someone is blowing smoke.

Do the spokes, in fact, thread into the rim, and NOT the hub?

Is the disk rotor, in fact, attached with screws?

Hi unka and Welcome! :)

Ok you said a bafang motor, do ya know which one?

This link MIGHT be of some help:

Back