new to forum from Edmundston Canada

jyouellette

Local time
11:20 AM
Hello
I am jyouellette from Edmundston Canada.
I have converted 5 bicycles this summer with Bafang's 750 mid drive motors running at 18A power, three which are 26 '' MTB. One was a 29''
Following test runs on the same path and distance all delivered 30 ish KMs. I must admit I am not impressed with the range distance I am getting with all of them. I have equipped them 2 bikes with Hailongs' 48V 17. AH and the 29'' with a 52V 20AH batteries and am only getting in the 30Km range of pleasurable riding before these e bikes cut out or die off completely. The batteries seem to only have a 33% useable range before their BMS controllers shuts them off. They sell you 840 Watts battery, but you can only use 1/3 if its power. This seems to me as a huge rip off on the part of battery manufacturers. They Spec them as 840W any never disclose their actual useable power is. Has anyone noticed this phenomenon. What a rip off.

Also why is it that OEM e bikes of the same size & same motor power are able to achieve better, almost 2.5 time the range, than conversion kits do? I simply don't understand that. I wonder someone on this forum know what the difference is and how we can close this difference on conversion kits.
Thank in advance for your reply.
JYO

Hi @jyouellette Welcome to the forums :)

With a cable or the eggrider display you can change the controller settings to get better mileage or more power....

Depending on how you ride, the wind direction...coming at you or pushing you....hills...terrain..etc...etc...etc... all those things
will determine how long you can remain in the saddle....make sense
?

Now when one programs/tunes things to their liking...more smiles are seen.

Here are a couple links:

There are many ways to tune the BBSxx motors/controllers....

Keep us posted :)

Thanks very much for your feedback. Unfortunately, your recommendations provide nothing more than what I had tuned my bicycles to before my road tests. I have used Luna's config tool to tweek my controllers for optimum performance using Karls special el with the motor current set at 18A and unfortunately the range improvement was minimal at (2 to 3 KMs) more than default.
I am convinced my issue has to be associated with Hailongs BMS cut out the battery. Shutting down the battery way too soon than they should say 2.5v. Is there a way to adjust the BMS board to lower settings which would allow more battery autonomy.

I compared an OEM e bike under exactly the same tack conditions and got way better range than my mod kits. The OEM 26'' fat bike got over 85Kms range with a 750w motor 48V 14AH battery and my 26'' MTB with 750w 48v 17.5ah battery only get 32kms range. This was almost an apple-to-apple test. I can't believe the difference. You would think the 48V 17.5ah battery would provide the same range or more.
What do OEM batteries have that there is such a difference. Is their BMS cut off level lower than kit batteries? If so why? Lithinum cells are Lithium cells only the management system could be set differently. Maybe someone on this forum knows the technical difference.

Fo Sho....that is a huge difference there...unless ya can bluetooth to the batteries BMS then ya may be s**t out of luck unless you can dissassemble the battery and replace the BMS.

Have you checked to see what the controller low voltage cutoff is?

So under display settings...scroll down to Battery settings....then 1st battery.....what is the Voltage 0% say?

Also in there make sure the Capacity is set right as well...

Hello
I am jyouellette from Edmundston Canada.
I have converted 5 bicycles this summer with Bafang's 750 mid drive motors running at 18A power, three which are 26 '' MTB. One was a 29''
Following test runs on the same path and distance all delivered 30 ish KMs. I must admit I am not impressed with the range distance I am getting with all of them. I have equipped them 2 bikes with Hailongs' 48V 17. AH and the 29'' with a 52V 20AH batteries and am only getting in the 30Km range of pleasurable riding before these e bikes cut out or die off completely. The batteries seem to only have a 33% useable range before their BMS controllers shuts them off. They sell you 840 Watts battery, but you can only use 1/3 if its power. This seems to me as a huge rip off on the part of battery manufacturers. They Spec them as 840W any never disclose their actual useable power is. Has anyone noticed this phenomenon. What a rip off.

Also why is it that OEM e bikes of the same size & same motor power are able to achieve better, almost 2.5 time the range, than conversion kits do? I simply don't understand that. I wonder someone on this forum know what the difference is and how we can close this difference on conversion kits.
Thank in advance for your reply.
JYO
Yes no comparison between converted ebikes with cheap batteries. I have both, Santa Cruz/ Bafang Hdd conversion and a Rocky Mountain Powerplay.

Back