New to e-biking, just installed kit, got a big spark when I tried to install battery

Newjoe2

Local time
2:55 PM
This is my first ebike I just installed the VoilaMart 1000 watt kit and when I connected the battery to the controller I got a big spark. So I disconnected the battery cables. Is this normal and should I keep it connected or is it going to burn something up and start on fire? I have all the cables connected properly.

Big like in five feet long or big like an inch or two?

A small spark of 1-2 inches is fairly normal, there are spark arrestor cables to prevent this, higher volts and amps on the battery makes bigger spark. Can cause some damage to BMS but fairly rare. Can also pop fuses if you have any, which inexpensive batteries usually do not.

Not likely to catch on fire, but then, it was made in the land of no quality control, so you never know.

But probably not. You'll be fine. Sure you will.

the anderson connectors that come with the voilamart kits usually do spark ...or at least on mine they all have and i've built a couple hub drives.

I stopped that by getting some XT-90 anti spark connectors.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
This is my first ebike I just installed the VoilaMart 1000 watt kit and when I connected the battery to the controller I got a big spark. So I disconnected the battery cables. Is this normal and should I keep it connected or is it going to burn something up and start on fire? I have all the cables connected properly.
Turn off the battery. Solder bare wires with heat shrink covers. When done, turn on battery, should be ok, if components not fried. Take time and expertise or have shop do it.

The spark was the battery instantly charging a capacitor at the input of the controller. Hundreds of amps, but only for a split second. Nothing to worry about, assuming it wasn't enough to damage the connections with the arc.

I made this to solve that problem. Parts from eBay was like 15 bucks. But I also got a bunch of extra connectors and a couple more switches for future use.
IMG_20220712_114231.jpg

My connections are tight and tested. No heat up from poor continuity. The tape is more to keep the terminals on the switch from accidently contacting something and grounding out. The switch pigtail stays with my charger and not on the bike. It's perfectly safe.

My connections are tight and tested. No heat up from poor continuity. The tape is more to keep the terminals on the switch from accidently contacting something and grounding out. The switch pigtail stays with my charger and not on the bike. It's perfectly safe.
And unnecessary with good connectors. Hey, does it rain where you are?

Can you read? It says the switch stays with my charger and not on the bike.
Huh... you've never taken your charger with you? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ok. Still unnecessary with proper connectors, made special, just for this very thing, no electrical tape either.

I always use my charger in the rain......

I had tape. I didn't have connectors which are unnecessary for this application.

Get over it and live a happy life instead

Back