New to e-bikes, mods and upgrades

My understanding is Velotric’s PAS level behavior is typical of the wide-market cadence sensor technology they use to control the motor. If the pedals are moving at any speed, then the motor kicks in and attempts to accelerate the bike to the chosen PAS level’s speed limit.

I gather pedaling with torque sensor technology can vary the motor “boost”.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
True. Some wide-market cadence sensor bikes (himiway, for instance) allow the user to configure the settings like power levels for the individual PAS levels. That can make a significant difference.

My wife didn't like this either. I think this is why torque sensors with hub motors are getting popular.

I just bought my wife a(nother) eBike for this reason. First one was a Lectric XP Lite. I like it, but it scares the hell out of her. Not only does it do what you said, but if she forgets to set PAS to 1 before walking with it, it will take off on its own! (pushing it gets the cranks moving, which actuates the PAS and it just rockets off!) There's a bright yellow stick reminding us to turn it to PAS0 before walking with it, but that's not a good solution, in my humble opinion.

So two days ago, I paid double for a bit less capable bike because it has a torque/cadence sensor.

I think she either has to get used to it or you have to sell the bike and move onto something with a torque sensor.

My wife didn't like this either. I think this is why torque sensors with hub motors are getting popular.

I just bought my wife a(nother) eBike for this reason. First one was a Lectric XP Lite. I like it, but it scares the hell out of her. Not only does it do what you said, but if she forgets to set PAS to 1 before walking with it, it will take off on its own! (pushing it gets the cranks moving, which actuates the PAS and it just rockets off!) There's a bright yellow stick reminding us to turn it to PAS0 before walking with it, but that's not a good solution, in my humble opinion.

So two days ago, I paid double for a bit less capable bike because it has a torque/cadence sensor.

I think she either has to get used to it or you have to sell the bike and move onto something with a torque sensor.
We had 2 Himiway bikes, a Cruiser for me and a Step Thru Cruiser for my Wife. Himiway uses cadence sensing but allows configuration of the various PAS Levels. I was able to increase the number of PAS Levels to match the number of gear positions and reduce the motor power output for each level; the result was smooth start from standing and comfortable cadence at each gear position with no ghost pedaling. The only problem was that the Step Thru was too tall and too heavy for my Wife. We sold her Himiway and found the Velotric Step Thru which is shorter and lighter (great fit for her) but it doesn't provide an option for configuration of the PAS Levels. I hope that I can find a controller/display upgrade kit that will solve my problem.

True. Some wide-market cadence sensor bikes (himiway, for instance) allow the user to configure the settings like power levels for the individual PAS levels. That can make a significant difference.
Yep one of the things I really like about Himway is the ability to customize the setup. They have somewhat limited those setting in later models which I don't like. Locking the throttle to 20 mph as so many mfgs are doing now is just crazy to me.

Hello! Just bought new e-bikes for me and the wife. I come from a long history of motorcycles, both MX and roadracing and pleasure, commuting. Cannot believe how much fun these are and great that me and the wife can ride together. I also have a long history of road bike pedaling and mountain bike pedaling.

I am notorious for going overboard with mods, especially with regards to lighting / visibility, brakes and suspension. I realize that my ebike does not go 185mph like some of my past roadracing superbikes went, but I am caught up in that world!

Would love to hear what others are doing to their e-bikes, thanks in advance!

Mine: 2023 Velotric Nomad 1.
Mods so far: high speed unlock, suspension seat post, 203mm front and rear floating rotors (were 180's), pedals, additional battery operated headlight, high visibility tail light, chain stay guard, left mirror.
On the way: Magura MT Trail Sport 4 pot front, 2 pot rear calipers with one finger master cylinders, 120mm front fork upgrade.

Wife's: 2023 Aventon Adventure.
Mods so far: high speed unlock, 203mm front and rear floating rotors (were 180's), additional battery operated headlight, high visibility tail light, left mirror.
Hi. I’m trying to mod my Aventure with 203mm rotors but couldn’t find right brake mount adapter for front wheel. Could you please tell what kind of mount adapter you used?

The adapter type and size can vary from bike to bike. For example, my bike’s front fork post mounts are “native” for a 160mm rotor. However, my bike’s OEM front rotor was 180mm, so it was originally fitted with a so-called “20mm post adapter” to mount the caliper (180mm - 160mm = 20mm).

I upgraded to a 203mm rotor on the front, and replaced the original adapter with a so-called “43mm” post adapter (203mm - 160mm = 43 mm) from Shimano.

Tell us more about your rotors and brake calipers (brand, model, two-piston, four piston?).

HTH, and safe cycling!
Jim / crewzer

These cheaper china bikes only have cruise control. I replaced the controller with a kt controller with simulated torque control and it now works well (same controller used in rad power bikes?). affordableebikes@gmail.com in canada supplied mosst of the parts except for a new headlight and brake levers which I changed because of connector incompatability.

I'm looking to solve a problem that I have with the Velotric Discover1 eBike that we purchased for my wife. My wife likes everything about it except the immediate acceleration to 8 MPH when she starts peddling from stop (at the lowest PAS Level); that makes things difficult, to say the least, if she's on anything other that a smooth flat surface. On our other bike I'm able to tweak the settings for the individual PAS levels so that the power levels are reasonable, but the Discover1 set up does not allow that option. Can anyone suggest a display and/or controller upgrade that I could purchase and install that would allow me to program the individual PAS levels?
I changed teh controller and other parts to a kt from affordableebikes.ca and now it runs like a rad power (simulated torque control.

We had 2 Himiway bikes, a Cruiser for me and a Step Thru Cruiser for my Wife. Himiway uses cadence sensing but allows configuration of the various PAS Levels. I was able to increase the number of PAS Levels to match the number of gear positions and reduce the motor power output for each level; the result was smooth start from standing and comfortable cadence at each gear position with no ghost pedaling. The only problem was that the Step Thru was too tall and too heavy for my Wife. We sold her Himiway and found the Velotric Step Thru which is shorter and lighter (great fit for her) but it doesn't provide an option for configuration of the PAS Levels. I hope that I can find a controller/display upgrade kit that will solve my problem.
I would love to know the details of your PAS settings. I have a Himiway Big Dog and only seems to ride it is the hardest gear, maybe switching a gear or two up steep hills. What do you mean you matched the PAS levels per gear? Do you mean when you are in gear 1 you use pas 1 and gear 2 pas 2? I would love to setup so it was more like torque sensor (natural) feel.

My understanding is Velotric’s PAS level behavior is typical of the wide-market cadence sensor technology they use to control the motor. If the pedals are moving at any speed, then the motor kicks in and attempts to accelerate the bike to the chosen PAS level’s speed limit.

I gather pedaling with torque sensor technology can vary the motor “boost”.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
I call this cruise control. The cheaper chinese bikes have this. I changed my discovery to a kt controller with simulated torque control and now it is like a rad power bike. Gives you constant addtional torque from the motor so in level one it only helps a little and does not go at full torque to a fixed speed.

I have a velotric discovery which came with what I call cruise control. I changed my controller to a kt with simulated torque control. In level one it does not try to go to a speed but instead just gives a little boost to the pedaling effort. It's like a rad power bike.

Hello! Just bought new e-bikes for me and the wife. I come from a long history of motorcycles, both MX and roadracing and pleasure, commuting. Cannot believe how much fun these are and great that me and the wife can ride together. I also have a long history of road bike pedaling and mountain bike pedaling.

I am notorious for going overboard with mods, especially with regards to lighting / visibility, brakes and suspension. I realize that my ebike does not go 185mph like some of my past roadracing superbikes went, but I am caught up in that world!

Would love to hear what others are doing to their e-bikes, thanks in advance!

Mine: 2023 Velotric Nomad 1.
Mods so far: high speed unlock, suspension seat post, 203mm front and rear floating rotors (were 180's), pedals, additional battery operated headlight, high visibility tail light, chain stay guard, left mirror.
On the way: Magura MT Trail Sport 4 pot front, 2 pot rear calipers with one finger master cylinders, 120mm front fork upgrade.

Wife's: 2023 Aventon Adventure.
Mods so far: high speed unlock, 203mm front and rear floating rotors (were 180's), additional battery operated headlight, high visibility tail light, left mirror.
What adapter did you use to install Magura Brakes on the Adventure?

Hi Crewzer, if your wife’s bike has a twist or thumb throttle, maybe control initial speed when starting with that instead of using the peddles which, as she is finding, immediately apply more power than she wants. This is the technique I use when I want initial low power from the motor. Hope this helps.

What adapter did you use to install Magura Brakes on the Adventure?
I have Magura MT5E brakes on my Juiced RCS e-bikes. Its offset is based on the rotor size and its size is the same for most e-bikes.
Most e-bikes are post mount(PM) on the front with the base size rotor being 160mm and the rear is pillar mount(IS) with a base rotor size of 160 mm.
On my bike I used a 203mm in front and a 180mm rear. So looking at the brackets at AliExpress at this link I used the DS07 (PM to PM 203) for the front and the DS02 (IS to PM 180) for the rear.
ZTTO Disc Brake Rotor Mount Adapters

I do also have an Aventon Aventure 1 which I installed Tektro HD-E350 hydraulic brakes with 203/180mm rotors. It uses the exact same brackets.

Back