New to E-bikes - Bafang BBS02 750w

TLCummins

Local time
12:53 PM
Installed a Bafang BBS02 750w mid drive kit on my Bacchetta,DPC_18LCD display, 48v 20.3Ah Whale Shark battery. With display set 0-9 setting # 2 and riding at 17 to 18 mph the power meter on the display never moves no matter how hard I mash the pedals. And after 40 miles range reads something like 350 miles. Voltage has dropped about .6 volts. With the setting on #4 riding at the same speed the power meter never show anything motor pulls when going around a corner at a slower speed. After 40 miles or so the voltages has drooped very little. Today when I rode I set the display on 6 and the power meter started moving. It appears that the setting 0-9 works on speed. I could fell the motor pulling up to speeds of 22 or 23 mph Mainly when I was in the highest gear. Is this correct the controller works on speed per setting number? Works great just trying to figure out how it all works. Thanks tell me what you think..

Wheelbender6 read my post in the recumbent section. I just didn't know how to ride an e-bike at first.

I can try to explain for the controller on the BBS02 works.

The PAS settings work by providing a different level of assist. It doesn't matter how hard you pedal. Each level will send a percentage of the maximum current. For example, level 1 might send 50% max current, and level 2 might send 60% max current. If the max current is set to 20 amps, the level 1 will send a maximum of 10 amps. The power on the display is simple math of the current in amps times the voltage. The display is then in watts.

Most of the levels also have a maximum speed. So level 1 might cut off at 10 MPH and level 2 might cut off at 12 MPH and on up. It doesn't prevent you from pedaling hard and going faster, it just doesn't provide any assist after that speed. The cutoff speeds are usually a percentage of the maximum speed, so if you raised the maximum to 99 MPH, then the cutoffs are so high you never hit them.

I used the programing cable to change the settings more to my liking. It all depends how you want it to work. I wanted to get more exercise, so I lowered the assist in the lower PAS levels.

Thanks I'm just having a hard time understanding how it works. I have a programming cord ordered and when I reprogram I might understand it better. When I in level 4 max speed sit at 50mph,I'm working hard at 20mph then when I up shift it starts pulling and I go faster with less effort. Can' under stand what is happening. What did shifting into a high gear do? Why does the motor react and start pulling it doesn't know I changed gears. The kit is supper fast I hit 38.5 mph in level 8 on flat ground. I plan on spending the day climbing and really see what the battery has, being in Florida I ride mostly on flat and have a very very long range. Thanks for the help.

It sounds like the motor was at it's maximum RPM and you were pedaling hard to make it go faster. When you upshifted, the RPM dropped and you were no longer trying to push the motor past it's max RPM.

Based on the speeds you are describing, you are geared way too high. Regular bikes were never designed to go almost 40 MPH.

At my age I don't have a very high cadence I doubt I ever hit the max rpm of the motor. I have a gearing of 53x11 with 650c wheels. I guess its just how the motor is programed from the factory, will change as soon as the cable comes in.

I'm geared pretty high and I have a 52/13 chain gearing and 26" wheels. Since my wheels are nearly the same size as yours, your gearing is much higher than mine.

If you had a 44 tooth chainring, you'd be geared about the same as me.

Installed a Bafang BBS02 750w mid drive kit on my Bacchetta,DPC_18LCD display, 48v 20.3Ah Whale Shark battery. With display set 0-9 setting # 2 and riding at 17 to 18 mph the power meter on the display never moves no matter how hard I mash the pedals. And after 40 miles range reads something like 350 miles. Voltage has dropped about .6 volts. With the setting on #4 riding at the same speed the power meter never show anything motor pulls when going around a corner at a slower speed. After 40 miles or so the voltages has drooped very little. Today when I rode I set the display on 6 and the power meter started moving. It appears that the setting 0-9 works on speed. I could fell the motor pulling up to speeds of 22 or 23 mph Mainly when I was in the highest gear. Is this correct the controller works on speed per setting number? Works great just trying to figure out how it all works. Thanks tell me what you think..
I reprogrammed the Bafang BBS02 controller to the following assist levels, and it has helped immensely:
PAS 0 0 % assist 100% speed (no limit to the speed at which it will cut out)
PAS 1 15% assist 100% speed
PAS 2 20% assist 100% speed
PAS 3 25% assist 100% speed
PAS 4 30% assist 100%
PAS 5 35% assist, etc the jumps after level 5 get pretty big in order to get to 100% assist at level 9. I essentially never use anything above 5 or 6, almost always in the 2-3-4 range especially when cycling with grandkids I need to not be speeding past them... Hope this helps.

I liked having less assist in the lower levels too. I set mine as:
PAS 0 0% assist
PAS 1 25% assist
PAS 2 33% assist
PAS 3 43% assist
PAS 4 53% assist
PAS 5 63% assist
PAS 6 73% assist
PAS 7 83% assist
PAS 8 91% assist
PAS 9 100% assist

I set the speed limit to 100% on all the levels.

I typically ride at PAS 2 so that I can still go pretty fast, but get some decent exercise. If I want to optimize range, I can get by with level 1.

BTW, the default for level 1 is 52%. That's way too much assist.

Thanks for all the info,when I get to reprogram I will try a couple different settings. What do you set your top speed at.

Thanks for all the info,when I get to reprogram I will try a couple different settings. What do you set your top speed at.
I set it to 99 MPH and the limit for each PAS level at 100%. To be legal as an ebike and ride on the bike paths here in Minnesota the top speeds needs to be set at 20 MPH. I make sure and keeps it under 20 MPH on the bike paths around the lakes. On the streets I go faster.

I liked having less assist in the lower levels too. I set mine as:
PAS 0 0% assist
PAS 1 25% assist
PAS 2 33% assist
PAS 3 43% assist
PAS 4 53% assist
PAS 5 63% assist
PAS 6 73% assist
PAS 7 83% assist
PAS 8 91% assist
PAS 9 100% assist

I set the speed limit to 100% on all the levels.

I typically ride at PAS 2 so that I can still go pretty fast, but get some decent exercise. If I want to optimize range, I can get by with level 1.

BTW, the default for level 1 is 52%. That's way too much assist.
Agreed 52% is WAY too much assist- my BBS02 came programmed at 30% in PAS 1 which was also too high. I think they want people to be wowed by that first pedal…..

I reprogrammed my BafangBS02 and what a difference. I think the factory setting of speed limits was the main problem. Also they had the low battery protection set at 20volts and going by what all I have read thats very very bad. I have current limits spaced out 1 thru 9 but have the speed limits at 100% in all settings. which means I can use 10% current in setting one for all speeds.

I reprogrammed my BafangBS02 and what a difference. I think the factory setting of speed limits was the main problem. Also they had the low battery protection set at 20volts and going by what all I have read thats very very bad. I have current limits spaced out 1 thru 9 but have the speed limits at 100% in all settings. which means I can use 10% current in setting one for all speeds.
TL if you have a 48v battery pack 20 volts is way too low. It would be very helpful to know the exact cells used in your battery. Then you can look up the min volts the mfg recommends. In any event I recommend not going lower than 20% on the low end. Typically these batteries use 18650 cells and most of those recommend nut charging beyond 4.2V or discharging below 2.65V.

Most 48 volt 18650 packs have 13 cells in series giving a bit over 54V when fully charged. If you ran the pack down to 20V your cell voltage would be around 1.54V which would not be good for the cells. Also remember these battery packs have a BMS (battery management system) built in that limits the maximum current (amps) the pack can put out as well as low voltage cutoff.

Hope this helps you understand these batteries a bit more.

Back