New to e-Bikes, Aventon

MileHighJC

Local time
2:46 AM
After a ton of research, and a lot of test rides (unfortunately, one resulting in an injury to my wife), we have ordered his and hers Aventon Level.2. Mine is a step over, hers is a step through. I ordered mine direct, and it is scheduled to arrive in a couple days. We ordered hers through a local shop who will do the build and initial set up.

I hope that ordering mine direct does not come back to bite me. Seems there are some that have had a rough time with customer service. Im hoping that 1. Im Lucky enough to receive a bike in good condition, not requiring a lot of tinkering, and 2. that Im handy enough to deal with anything that does come up.

Look forward to participating here... have always found forums to be a great tool to help, and be helped.

JC

Uh oh... this seems a little ominous. Barcode unreadable? This might be interesting. I guess it could be any number of things, but the first that comes to mind is a dropped box, or a forklift through the box. Guess I should do a little research on best course of action if the box is seriously damaged - reject shipment? Call Aventon?

Aventon Delivery Exception.jpg

Uh oh... this seems a little ominous. Barcode unreadable? This might be interesting. I guess it could be any number of things, but the first that comes to mind is a dropped box, or a forklift through the box. Guess I should do a little research on best course of action if the box is seriously damaged - reject shipment? Call Aventon?

View attachment 5636

MileHighJC:

Under Terms of Service: https://www.aventon.com/pages/terms-of-service#

Shipping Carriers. Aventon ships using FedEx and USPS, based on the size/weight of your order and your delivery address. We’ll ship your order in a single box whenever possible, but occasionally we’ll need to send multiple shipments: for example, if you’ve ordered several large/bulky items.

No Responsibility for Loss, Theft, or Damage. Please note we are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged items due to the actions or inactions of FedEx or any other parcel service.

Refused Shipments – Flat Fee. If you refuse delivery of an order that you asked us to ship to you, we reserve the right to charge a flat fee of $75 per ebike to partially cover our shipping costs. We cannot change, intercept, or cancel orders that have already shipped. If you refuse delivery, we will treat your order as a return if it arrives back to us and issue a refund for the purchase price via your original payment method, less $75.

Notwithstanding the above disclaimers, I'd suggest that you document any damages with photographs (including pictures taken of the UNOPENED box). Then contact Aventon to discuss how they can make good on the delivery of their product. Presumably, it would be in the best interest of all parties to come to a reasonable compromise.

BTW, nice bikes. Wish Aventon provided an option to ship them to Hawaii.

P.S. Retain the damaged box and packing materials until the case is resolved. Sometimes, the insurance claim adjusters like to examine them.

Thanks @1dash1 I also found that, and was ready. The bike arrived yesterday, and the box had clearly been opened (staples all pulled, and mailing tape holding the top down. Took lots of pictures of the box, and the bike as it came out of the box. The box looked fine otherwise, and happily, the bike was in perfect condition. Not sure what the FedEx shipment exception about the barcode was.

In any case, got the bike built, and test rode yesterday. Only found two things needing attention, the front rotor was just a little out of true, and was intermittently dragging. One youtube video later, and I had that fixed. The only other thing was that out of the box the seat angle was inclined, giving me just a little lower back pain after 13 miles. Fixed that this morning, I think it is ready for a much longer fall ride today.

At least based upon my experience, ordering direct worked out great for me (Ive read some of the less pleasant stories). Bike arrived in less than a week from order, in perfect condition, and it was CLEAR that Aventon put a lot of thought into the packaging, and build instructions. They were spot on. Having said that, I also like supporting local bike shops, so we ordered my wife's through a nearby shop. Its a few more $, but Im happy to support them. (ordering direct for me was actually kind of a fluke, a long story in itself).

Im surprised they will not ship to Hawaii... what a place to ride (I've only been to Oahu, and Maui, but ... well ... wow). Can you get one through a local bike shop there?

After a ton of research, and a lot of test rides (unfortunately, one resulting in an injury to my wife), we have ordered his and hers Aventon Level.2. Mine is a step over, hers is a step through. I ordered mine direct, and it is scheduled to arrive in a couple days. We ordered hers through a local shop who will do the build and initial set up.

I hope that ordering mine direct does not come back to bite me. Seems there are some that have had a rough time with customer service. Im hoping that 1. Im Lucky enough to receive a bike in good condition, not requiring a lot of tinkering, and 2. that Im handy enough to deal with anything that does come up.

Look forward to participating here... have always found forums to be a great tool to help, and be helped.

JC
I followed a similar path in 2020. I bought my Pace 500 step through at a bike shop while in Florida. Put 200 miles on it and then ordered a Pace 500 (small frame) step through for my wife. I received the new bike in a few weeks and had no issues with the packaging or the assembly. I think the fact that I had my existing bike as a go-by helped a lot. I am 77 and my wife is 76. We enjoy our bikes a lot and ride them regularly. The only problem I have had recently is the power tends to shut off occasionally and I have to reboot the screen to restore the power. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I followed a similar path in 2020. I bought my Pace 500 step through at a bike shop while in Florida. Put 200 miles on it and then ordered a Pace 500 (small frame) step through for my wife. I received the new bike in a few weeks and had no issues with the packaging or the assembly. I think the fact that I had my existing bike as a go-by helped a lot. I am 77 and my wife is 76. We enjoy our bikes a lot and ride them regularly. The only problem I have had recently is the power tends to shut off occasionally and I have to reboot the screen to restore the power. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Not from my bike experience, but from experience with lithium ion batteries in general (RC airplanes, etc). If this is consistently happening when the battery is discharged significantly, it may be early signs of battery failure. I never ran my RC batteries below 20% for risk of a receiver shutdown (really a bad thing if you are in the air ). Similarly, by the time I could get to the crash site, it would be working again. Frankly I don’t know if bike batteries have any similar restrictions, or perhaps the controller in a bike is more sophisticated than what I had in the airplanes.

If me I would rule out discharged battery. Lithium battery control constantly monitors the charge state of the battery. Because discharging below a set level will cause damage. Every device I own that uses Lithium type batteries have these controllers built in. Highly unlikely that just that one part of the many circuits in the controller has failed without several other indicators of failure. If a battery is discharged to far the charger won't charge it.
One test you can do if your hands is to carry a pocket volt meter. Do some pre research and determine the contacts on the battery that provide positive and negative. When the bike acts up remove the battery and measure the current voltage.
Second thing I look for possible battery connection issues. Then I work up the wire line testing all the connections. (Unplug then replug a few times)
A momentary fault in the power to the display could easily cause the firmware in the display or motor controller to lock up requiring a full power cycle.
I trouble shoot aircraft avionics and intermittent bugs are hard to find.
You can't easily do this but to find a intermittent short or open circuit I attach a recording pocket oscilloscope. Kind of like a halter monitor for your heart. When the issue presents I look back to see if there was any drops or spikes in the circuit. Intermittent issues like these are a challenge to fix because unless you can replicate the problem on demand the bike shop can't help. Hopefully if you can have dialog with aventon and see if have this issue with other bikes.

Back