New Senior Tire Size Questions & Misc

kdfisher

Local time
1:23 PM
Thanks for accepting me as a member:)

I'm hefty at 275 pounds, aged 65 and 6'4" tall but still feel like a kid on a bike but far more careful. While on vacation in hilly Bucks County, PA. along the river, a local bike ship only had fat tire rental options. Makes sense to me now why as it was also a first riding an ebike. I learned the hilly areas. A few minor accidents. One on the mule trail along the Delaware river canal...fun regardless.

I reside in flat SW Florida. My plans are to ride with my grandsons (20 mile round trips max) when they visit every other weekend. I'm disliking the fat tire options and prefer a commuter bike. However, it appears these styles have weight limitations in the 265 range.

I'd prefer a battery in the likes of LG, Sanyo or similar. My search indicates a positive feel?

Terrain riding will only be concrete, asphalt and occasional light gravel roads

Budget? $ 1,000 - $ 2,000. If anyone can educate me into a higher priced ebike have at it. It's a difficult choice with the numerous middlemen in this market that inflate prices substantially.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have a Velowave Ghost which is rated at 280 lbs. I'm 6' 4" at 275 lbs it moves me around really well. It has a LG battery with a 500 watt rear geared hub drive. I've had it for 3+ months without any issues. I live in a flat area and get 30 miles per charge. I did change out the bars to a cruiser style set and a different seat to fit my riding style and comfort. I bought it on Amazon when it was on sale with free delivery. And oh yeah I'm 68.

Thanks Mysery. Sounds like 2.3 inch tires such as the ghost allows for a bit more weight. Unfortunately a step through would probably be a better idea for me thinking a few years down the road when I become an old geezer.:oops:

Thanks for accepting me as a member:)

I'm hefty at 275 pounds, aged 65 and 6'4" tall but still feel like a kid on a bike but far more careful. While on vacation in hilly Bucks County, PA. along the river, a local bike ship only had fat tire rental options. Makes sense to me now why as it was also a first riding an ebike. I learned the hilly areas. A few minor accidents. One on the mule trail along the Delaware river canal...fun regardless.

I reside in flat SW Florida. My plans are to ride with my grandsons (20 mile round trips max) when they visit every other weekend. I'm disliking the fat tire options and prefer a commuter bike. However, it appears these styles have weight limitations in the 265 range.

I'd prefer a battery in the likes of LG, Sanyo or similar. My search indicates a positive feel?

Terrain riding will only be concrete, asphalt and occasional light gravel roads

Budget? $ 1,000 - $ 2,000. If anyone can educate me into a higher priced ebike have at it. It's a difficult choice with the numerous middlemen in this market that inflate prices substantially.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Hello yes I did too. So many e bikesto look at. I bought Engwe Engine Pro 750w and I weigh 250lbs. I chose this e bike because my surgeon told me about it. I just had total knee replacement in Feb and still one more knee to do, and have had 5 surgeries on low back. So for the most ey on fixed income and what doctor told me I bought it. I love this e bike and haven't had anything go wrong yet. Bime says good to 330lbs and is very smooth and have got it up to 28mph. It will down hill chargeable 60% back into batteries and in pedal assist 1 or 2 will charge back about 16%. O ly problem with e bikes is there heavy and I found a cheap motorbike,scooter and heavy e bikes a rack with ramp and that working out great for one e bike. Good luck

Welcome to the forum. No shame in having a budget. My wife and I got ebikes this fall and spent $2500 fort the pair, which for us was a sizeable purchase.

There are lots of solid choices in the sub-$2000 range. However, you need to first determine what kind of riding posture you want to have. A cruiser or Cafe style has a very upright posture. Most of the weight will be on your buttocks. As you get a more forward-leaning posture, more weight gets transferred to your arms and wrists. There are many decent choices of varying styles.

Next, you need to decide if you want a step-over or step-thru. Of you can easily swing your leg over the seat than a step-over will work for you, at least until father time decides no. For your height and weight, there are many solid offerings. Not as many with step-thru choice fort a rider of your size, although I bought a Ride1Up Series 500 step-thru and love it. I added an adjustable handlebar stem to give me a more upright posture. I'm 6'2", 250. Can't do anything about the former but trying to work on the latter.

Back