New Lectric XPremium Rusty Axle & Bolts and a Nonfunctioning Charger

tlichte3

Local time
6:32 PM
Hi everybody! I just received my Lectric XPremium and the bolts and axles are rusty, pictures are below. Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice on how to proceed? I've contacted Lectric and am waiting to hear back from them. Also the charger is not charging the batteries. What do you think?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220803_173011.jpg
    20220803_173011.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 190
  • 20220803_173022.jpg
    20220803_173022.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 193
  • 20220803_173958.jpg
    20220803_173958.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 20220803_174000.jpg
    20220803_174000.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 20220803_174013.jpg
    20220803_174013.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 20220803_174026.jpg
    20220803_174026.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 199
Wow....very disaapointing. I'd send it back. My Lecric xp 2.0 was perfect...no rust and works great.....my experience with their customer service has been great.....not sure why you've not heard from them.....call them back.....don't unpack the bike. Good luck.

If it were just the rust you see in the photos I'd probably clean it up with some Corrosion X and a wire brush and call it good, but if the charger also isn't working then who knows what corrosion may be in areas you can't see (like the computer board or motor or motor controller or battery pack). That a BIG problem and deserving of a return.

Wow....very disaapointing. I'd send it back. My Lecric xp 2.0 was perfect...no rust and works great.....my experience with their customer service has been great.....not sure why you've not heard from them.....call them back.....don't unpack the bike. Good luck.
Unfortunately I already unpacked it. The box it arrived in was trashed and wouldn't have made the trip back. I waited so long for this bike. I didn't want to miss the entire summer waiting for a replacement. Thanks for your feedback!

If it were just the rust you see in the photos I'd probably clean it up with some Corrosion X and a wire brush and call it good, but if the charger also isn't working then who knows what corrosion may be in areas you can't see (like the computer board or motor or motor controller or battery pack). That a BIG problem and deserving of a return.
Thanks for the suggestion! I never thought about corrosion on the electrical pieces... The rest of the bike was pristine. I'm worried that the rust will just come back after I remove it.

I hear ya but Cloneworks brings up a very good point.....that level of corrosion could mean problems down the line....is the controller OK....these bikes are shipped from China......never have seen on with this issue.....at the very least....if you reach Lectric....ask them for either a new bike or an extended warrenty. Best of luck.

Thanks for the suggestion! I never thought about corrosion on the electrical pieces... The rest of the bike was pristine. I'm worried that the rust will just come back after I remove it.
Well if you go the "clean it up" route I can personally recommend Corrosion-X to help keep things clean, but lest I sound like I shill for them there are other anti-corrosion formulas out there that apparently also work well, just make sure they are di-electric so that you can safely use them on/around electronics and electrical connections.

I hear ya but Cloneworks brings up a very good point.....that level of corrosion could mean problems down the line....is the controller OK....these bikes are shipped from China......never have seen on with this issue.....at the very least....if you reach Lectric....ask them for either a new bike or an extended warrenty. Best of luck.
The controller works & I don't see any corrosion on the batteries.

Here's an update, Lectric is going to replace the bike. I am relived to know that they are going to take care of it.

Doesn't look too bad to me, I would have negotiated for $250 or $500 off the purchase price; if the ebike is fully operational.
Saves you the time of waiting for a replacement ebike,

I brought 2 Lectric XP 2.0, 1 regular and 1 step thru. Here is my experience. My wife's white step thru arrived with a bent rim on the rear wheel. The carton appeared to be a return and was beat up badly. Lectric promptly replaced the wheel at my labor expense. She has a fraction of the miles I have but it is still performing as expected. My XP however has been a different story. Right off the bat my XP controller burnt out with minimal gentle use as I was getting acclimated. Then the second controller burned out after 600 miles with lots of hill climbing. I did not want to give up my favorite ride route so I changed to a 11-34 free wheel and limited my hill climbing to 1st gear and PA 1, yet still burned out another controller. I have noticed that the stock controllers are rated at 18A but at times the display reads a 19A draw in PA 2 on a moderate hill. I resigned myself to the fact this bike would not be suitable for much hill climbing. I have switched my routine to an easy rolling hill route and have not burnt out any more controllers, but the motor noise has gotten worse and amp draw regularly exceeds the 18A the controller is rated. It finally got so bad I could not take the extreme droning noise. I contacted seller support, sent videos and they insisted the noise was probably a loose component and sent me a JPG of vibration points to tighten up. The noise completely abated when throttle was cut off or when peddling stopped and no it was not motor induced vibration. I am a former Aircraft mechanic, Locksmith, and currently an experienced Jeweler so I am pretty mechanically adept. After a lot of back and forth and pleading with them I could not even unload this lemon until this issue was corrected, I was able to get a price on a replacement motor without having to replace the display and controller. Having said all this, if you only want to have a folding Electric bike to put in your RV to ride in level ground in State parks in moderation, then this is your bike. TBH this was a big part of my buying consideration, but even then, the performance longevity is questionable. Lectric offered to sell me the replacement wheel and motor at $250+ tx (could probably do better if I could find just a motor but wheel and spoke mounting and truing would add greatly) so I'll probably burn out my existing motor and then have the replacement for reselling my bike down the road if the worn out motor does not drive me crazy first. In the meantime, I have headphones. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Wow.....sounds like a pretty bad experience. My experience....thus far....is totally different. My Lectric XP 2.0 came fully assembled.....I added air...charged the battery and went riding. I ride hills almost always.....have not had any issues...bike performs well.....no noice.....mostly PA 1 and 2 for me. I have over 300 miles on bike......no major problems. Hope your future experiences are better.

Back