New Hybrid BBSHD Build (52v 15Ah battery) - Minneapolis - $2650

I built this super nice hybrid commuter ebike last month. I absolutely love it, but honestly I rarely ride it as I prefer my custom electric longboards. I would rather sell this for the cost of the parts ($2,650) so someone else can enjoy it more.

IMG_2770.jpg
IMG_2777.jpg
IMG_2786.jpg

I am a professional electric vehicle builder and you are welcomed to check out the build quality yourself. (I have built more than 10 electric bikes, longboards and scooters, including spot welding the battery packs.) I am very proud of how this turned out, including the internal cable routing and paint job, so I hope it goes to a good home!

I only have 32 miles total on the bike and there are no signs of wear, so it is basically new. I was able to get up to 38 MPH while petaling.

Bike Components:
- Box drivetrain designed for eBikes
- SRAM 160mm hydraulic disk breaks
- RockShox front fork
- WTB TCS 2.0 700c rims
- Maxxis Overdrive hybrid tires
- Motobecane frame
($1,225 total parts value)

Electronics:
- 1500+ watt BBSHD mid-drive motor
- 42 x Samsung 50E 21700 battery cells
- IP67 waterproof battery enclosure
- 500C color display
($1,375 total parts value)

It comes with a 4 amp charger and 3 replacement chains.

Please email morgankuphal@gmail.com if you are interested. I live in Apple Valley, which is about 20 minutes from St. Paul. I have a car and a bike rack if you need delivery.

As in a bike built for trail and road.
Ahhhhhhhhhh, what we called a "bike" when I was a kid. Now there are categories for every possible variation. Then to compound the stupidity manufacturers start using multiple definitions for the same thing to sell more crap, i.e., bike camping, bike packing, mixed terrain bike packing, paved road bike packing, gravel bikes, etc., etc., etc. Ah, WTF, there's a sucker born every minute. BBSHDs are 1000W which is plenty of torque, especially with a standard gear cluster. 700C wheels are going to make her fly on hard surfaces but aren't optimal for well, anything else. You should use the triangle in the frame for battery storage, it's better for lowering the center of gravity and will free up the rack so you can ride longer rides, but more importantly, let you mount a reasonable-sized battery when you want. I'd also recommend fenders for a "hybrid". Just out of curiosity... do you think you are going to be able to swap a chain without rebuilding or replacing some of the cluster gears? You seem to be trying to sell it with 3 chains included but not another cluster?

Ahhhhhhhhhh, what we called a "bike" when I was a kid. Now there are categories for every possible variation. Then to compound the stupidity manufacturers start using multiple definitions for the same thing to sell more crap, i.e., bike camping, bike packing, mixed terrain bike packing, paved road bike packing, gravel bikes, etc., etc., etc. Ah, WTF, there's a sucker born every minute. BBSHDs are 1000W which is plenty of torque, especially with a standard gear cluster. 700C wheels are going to make her fly on hard surfaces but aren't optimal for well, anything else. You should use the triangle in the frame for battery storage, it's better for lowering the center of gravity and will free up the rack so you can ride longer rides, but more importantly, let you mount a reasonable-sized battery when you want. I'd also recommend fenders for a "hybrid". Just out of curiosity... do you think you are going to be able to swap a chain without rebuilding or replacing some of the cluster gears? You seem to be trying to sell it with 3 chains included but not another cluster?
I just happened to have the extra chains because you can always swap chains on the trail if you snap it in a pinch. As for the battery, I opted to build my own in this enclosure made from a super durable IP67 waterproof sealed box. I saw the enclosures available online and the plastic seemed much less durable and less waterproof. The tradeoff is doesn’t mount very well to the middle triangle. Battery weight over the rear wheel though helps a lot with grip.

I just happened to have the extra chains because you can always swap chains on the trail if you snap it in a pinch. As for the battery, I opted to build my own in this enclosure made from a super durable IP67 waterproof sealed box. I saw the enclosures available online and the plastic seemed much less durable and less waterproof. The tradeoff is doesn’t mount very well to the middle triangle. Battery weight over the rear wheel though helps a lot with grip.
Snap a chain? Have you ever broken a chain, ever? I haven't in my entire life and not even in 38K miles of ebike riding, but I do have a fair amount of drive train wear and maintenance. Unless you plan on fording your bike across rivers a waterproof battery isn't really necessary it just needs to be protected from rain and that's easy. Rider weight centered about 3" in front of the rear axle isn't enough weight for "grip"? You need the weight of a small battery for that? The only place worse for battery weight than the rear rack is in a backpack.

Snap a chain? Have you ever broken a chain, ever? I haven't in my entire life and not even in 38K miles of ebike riding, but I do have a fair amount of drive train wear and maintenance. Unless you plan on fording your bike across rivers a waterproof battery isn't really necessary it just needs to be protected from rain and that's easy. Rider weight centered about 3" in front of the rear axle isn't enough weight for "grip"? You need the weight of a small battery for that? The only place worse for battery weight than the rear rack is in a backpack.
Dude. I just listed a bike for sale with an in depth description of the item. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

Dude. I just listed a bike for sale with an in depth description of the item. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.
Dude... my comments pertain to whoever ends up riding it, I can see why you don't want to. I'm just pointing out where you can improve so the next one is more usable, more ridable, and more enjoyable. Do you give a warranty on your hobby projects?

Dude... my comments pertain to whoever ends up riding it, I can see why you don't want to. I'm just pointing out where you can improve so the next one is more usable, more ridable, and more enjoyable. Do you give a warranty on your hobby projects?
Yeah. I’ve sold a few boards to the general public. This is the first bike I’ve sold to someone outside my friend group though.

I'm sorry... do you give a warranty ?
Yes. I don’t have a contract although I can certainly draft one upon request. If anything goes wrong you can always bring it back to my shop for repair. If the problem is caused by some error in building or something easy, I will fix it for free. Otherwise I charge for parts. The only thing I would charge for labor is if you wreck the battery somehow and it needs to be replaced.

This is what I do for the boards I’ve sold.

Yes. I don’t have a contract although I can certainly draft one upon request. If anything goes wrong you can always bring it back to my shop for repair. If the problem is caused by some error in building or something easy, I will fix it for free. Otherwise I charge for parts. The only thing I would charge for labor is if you wreck the battery somehow and it needs to be replaced.

This is what I do for the boards I’ve sold.
That's reasonable, actually more than some of the low-end POS ebikes sold online do to support their products. I can't wait to see how your next hobby project compares to this one.

Back