New Hub motor makes a grinding noise

Bobby

Local time
12:25 AM
Hello,
Purchased a 1500w direct drive hub motor. The motor makes a grinding noise when accelerating from a stop, then makes a very loud whining noise at 20mph, especially when cruise control is enabled. I attached a video to show the noise. The wheel spins freely and does not make a grinding noise when no power is applied. I’m wondering if the controller is the issue. I can’t tell if it’s a sine wave controller, but would purchasing a new controller help with the noise? Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    11.3 MB
I've never seen a hub drive with the cassette on the left side, is that correct?

Yeah, what Nelly said. Can you make a longer vid so we can see and listen?

Hello,
Purchased a 1500w direct drive hub motor. The motor makes a grinding noise when accelerating from a stop, then makes a very loud whining noise at 20mph, especially when cruise control is enabled. I attached a video to show the noise. The wheel spins freely and does not make a grinding noise when no power is applied. I’m wondering if the controller is the issue. I can’t tell if it’s a sine wave controller, but would purchasing a new controller help with the noise? Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
Did you double check the clearance between the drive and frame
You may need to add a washer or two for spacing

I installed a sine wave controller and now it’s completely silent.

Back