New here, researching ebike conversion

ejphotos

Local time
4:40 AM
Looking to add a motor kit to one of my Giant Trance bikes (both full squish).

My two options: 2021 Giant Trance X 3 29

20200817_181114-jpg.137321

This one has a BB92 press fit bottom bracket, also ISCG05 tabs. If I were to use this bike, I would probably get a CYC X1 stealth motor, as it brings the motor in front of the chain ring instead of below, and it has the outside sprocket to motor drive, and keeps the chain ring inside, keeping the chain line straight. As you can tell, not much space on the downtube inside the triangle for a battery - so if I were to install on this bike, I'd probably have to mount the battery on the top tube.

My second option is a 2005 Giant Trance 4 (26 inch wheels)

20200803_225720-2866x1908-jpg.136189

This has a 68mm bottom bracket. Again, not much space on the downtube, although there is slightly more room in there due to design. A BBSHD would be a good fit for this frame.

Goal is to be able to commute 21 miles to work (one way), so I'd need a decent size battery. Thinking 52v with around 14 or more amp hours.

I'd prefer to use the first one, as it's just an overall bigger, more comfortable bike, with much larger and powerful brakes and a bigger suspension (150mm travel F/140mm R) with a slacker headtube angle.

can you charge at work as well as home. A downtube mount would be so much cleaner.

can you charge at work as well as home. A downtube mount would be so much cleaner.
Yeah I'd be able to charge at work as well.
I actually cut out some templates of various batteries. None seemed to work on the downtube.
I *could* mount it on the underside of the downtube, but, I wouldn't want to chance a rock being kicked up from the tire and puncturing the battery case.

I just recently converted a vintage Cannondale Super V and because of the frame design I had to mount the battery under the down tube. Front tire clears ( I have a Lefty Max 150mm travel). My concern was because the battery is under the down tube if the battery mount is strong enough to hold the 7lbs battery under heavy g-forces. So I also use 2 or 3 thick velcro straps to secure the battery to the frame. Lastly, the motor sits pretty low and could be susceptible to rock damage, so far so good, but I ride on relatively smooth camp trails.

4YUgK15.jpg

Didn't see it in your thread @Shark413 what battery is that?
My tires are super grippy and can kick up a stone easily.
I could make a protective sleeve/guard to cover it, if I decided to mount it below downtube.

Didn't see it in your thread @Shark413 what battery is that?
My tires are super grippy and can kick up a stone easily.
I could make a protective sleeve/guard to cover it, if I decided to mount it below downtube.
I bought the entire conversion kit Directly from BaFang USA and the battery I selected was a generic BaFang house brand. I choose the smallest battery because of how I needed to mount it under the down tube. It is a 48v 11.6Ah battery using Samsung 29E 18650 Cells. It weights about 7 pounds.

I bought the entire conversion kit Directly from BaFang USA and the battery I selected was a generic BaFang house brand. I choose the smallest battery because of how I needed to mount it under the down tube. It is a 48v 11.6Ah battery using Samsung 29E 18650 Cells. It weights about 7 pounds.
Ahh ok, yeah even that one was a tad too large to fit inside the triangle based on the template.

For your choice of emotors you might consider a Tongsheng TSDZ2. Like the BaFang it allows you full use of your gearing with the added advantage of a torque sensor built into the motor. The addition of the torque sensor allows you to keep your existing brake levers since brake sensors, (and the extra cable for the brake sensor), will not be required. Brake sensors are the #1 cause of failure on ebikes.......and they always seem to fail at the most inopportune time. Win, win. As for the battery......you can have custom packs made to suit whatever sizing and voltage/Ah requirements you may need. I've seen others who have had to do this.

Back