New Forum Member

drofgnal

Local time
10:43 AM
HI everyone. New to the forum. I wanted to introduce myself. I've been thinking about an ebike for a while now. We recently moved and are having a house built. I still work, but just from home. I've got an old trek comfort bike that I took out to my new neighborhood and found that at 66 years old, I just couldn't make some of the hills anymore. I've been thinking about several different bikes. One thing I want is to be able to pop off the front wheel and put it in my outback with seats folded down for going to trails. Here is what I've been thinking:

1) Evelo, Galaxy 500. I liked CVT trans and gates belt drive. My old trek comfort bike external gears although ok, just wasn't what I needed, I rarely used all those gears (like 21 I think). They recommended the new Omega, being I'm at the top of the size range for that bike at 5'10". Both of these are expensive, although I can get the galaxy 500 open box for 3500. The Omega is > 4 grand. I've considered the galaxy SL at much less, with chain drive and CVT manual shifting. Currently less than 3 grand, All of these have a throttle, which I"m not sold on having. No local sales, internet only which is a drag particularly if service is needed.

2) Gazelle, another manufacturer with CVT and gates drive, although very expensive > 4500. I can get one with 5 speed internal gear hub for about 3600. I like the bosh active line plus mid drive motor, no throttle.

3) Didn't go to their shop but toyed around with Pedego bikes, having looked on their website a bunch. Not sure I want a rear hub motor though.

4) Specialized Turbo - a couple of models, on the light side for putting in back of car which is good, but expensive. > 4500.

5) Then I happened to say what the heck I'll go by the Trek store. Saw the Townie 5i. Internal 5 speed hub and bosch active line plus mid drive motor. No gates, but one chain I can live with. < 3,000. It's not much heavier than the lighter options above, the Evelo and specialize turbo como sl 5;0. REI sells this and being a member I get 10% off. So < 2700. I think this one is the winner. I'm going to the trek store today. I have a step over on reserve, but thinking about switching to a step through. This pretty much has the same features and components of the much more expensive Gazelle with the main difference being the chain instead of Gates drive belt. I think I like not having a throttle and staying in the class one ebike category.

Any thoughts and feedback are welcome.

Their is something new in the market now you might want to think about. That is torque sensor hub-drives. With those you also get a thumb throttle. That can be a real nice thing to have at times. You don't have to use it. But it could save your life one day. At 66 a step-thru would be a wise move. I 62 and have two ebikes and one is a step-thru. https://www.aventon.com/products/aventon-level-step-through-commuter-ebike#

Their is something new in the market now you might want to think about. That is torque sensor hub-drives. With those you also get a thumb throttle. That can be a real nice thing to have at times. You don't have to use it. But it could save your life one day. At 66 a step-thru would be a wise move. I 62 and have two ebikes and one is a step-thru. https://www.aventon.com/products/aventon-level-step-through-commuter-ebike#

Thanks for the info, but hub drives and throttles are out for me. I want a class 1 bike. I've also narrowed down my selection to the bosch mid drive units. I don't plan on any 'city' riding, mostly neighborhood and dedicated bike paths.

Welcome to the forum.....looks like you are considering some good bikes......I am almost 70.....I ride for exercise and the step thru for me was the way to go.....especially with a new right knee and hip......be safe out there....ebikes are great.

Welcome to the forum.....looks like you are considering some good bikes......I am almost 70.....I ride for exercise and the step thru for me was the way to go.....especially with a new right knee and hip......be safe out there....ebikes are great.
Thanks. For me it's exercise too. I walk a lot but have had two foot surgeries and feet can get sore. (thank you Hoka!) It's a toss up between townie 5i and gazelle.

I suggest not limiting yourself to class 1 bikes. This may narrow your options too much.

Not sure how it is with other ebikes, but it may be possible to program the display to limit the power output. On my Ride1Up 500, I can set the % power output at each of the 5 levels (or 7 or 9) to whatever I want. Since i want speed, I have adjusted them accordingly. I see no reason why I couldn't set them to give much lower output.

Keep in mind that the controller does not limit your speed. It only limits the amount of power assist. This limit may be adjustable in your controller. Mine will provide no assist above 28 mph (or thereabouts), although I can reduce that if I wanted to.

Unless you’re doing a lot of hill climbing, you gain nothing by to sticking to mid drive, and ratchet the price way up in the bargain.

No problem sticking to Class 1 though.

Back