New Ebike Owner with helmet question - Super73 S2

Motorstreet

Local time
6:58 PM
Hi everyone. I just ordered a Super73 S2, which hopefully will be delivered in January. I would appreciate some suggestions on proper helmets. Should I just use the same helmet that I use for my manual bicycle or should I buy a motorcycle helmet? I plan to use it purely for pleasure on roads. 30mph is about the top speed. Any thoughts?

Hmm. Seems to be a question of pedal assistance versus riding, effectively, an electric moped. I ride class 1 road ebike, with minimal pedal assist (well, most of the time!) Assist being the operative word. Not at all familiar with throttles and 28 mph top speed. Choice of helmet is up to you. Visit your local bike shop, do some research online. There are some very good conventional bike helmets out there. Be safe, enjoy the ride!

Here are somethings to think about when picking a helmet. Do you ride by yourself or will you be doing group rides. A motorcycle helmet gives more protection. But they block out your hearing. That makes them more dangerous and even more so if you ride in groups with other ebikes/bikes. Your ears could save your life. Another thing would be the laws where you are at. My friend has a Scorpion. If he rides it on trails around here and wears a motorcycle helmet people yell at him and say he can not ride there. When he wears a mountain bike helmet no one hassles him. They see it as an ebike then. Strange but true. I ride in big groups that have a mix of bikes and ebikes and I like to hear what is going on around me.

My friend has a Scorpion. If he rides it on trails around here and wears a motorcycle helmet people yell at him and say he can not ride there. When he wears a mountain bike helmet no one hassles him.
That is really good info, Yogaduke. I had not considered that people see you differently when wearing a motorcycle helmet.

Hmmm, things I hadn't even considered.
Searching for a helmet is next on my list. I truly hate the damned things, but realize that one is necessary these days.
Dan

The Specialized Align II is really good. It has MIPS and is one of the best scoring helmets by Virginia Tech's independent rating. Also, only $55. I normally don't skimp for safety, but it really doesn't seem like much skimping is happening based on how well this helmet performs. I own this myself and it fits wonderfully, too.

Get a good bike helmet that's comfortable for your noggin. A helmet that has a great adjustable band so you can wear it over different head garb and will stay useable for years. I choose a Giro Air Attack helmet because it has a magnetic visor and I loved it so much I bought another a year later and about 3 months after they stopped manufacturing them. Bought it on eBay from a guy in Singapore, and 8 replacement visors... you'd be surprised how they end up taking damage. A light helmet is really important and you will probably be riding more than you have in the past. - https://photos.app.goo.gl/LNEa6b9hzgT1JCoV7

Back