New E bike rider

Frank72785

Local time
5:02 PM
Hey guys, i am a new ebike guy. Picked up a used bbshd build recently. This thing is a blast smooth all around. Been thinking of building my wife a ebike as well and i am trying to decide between another mid drive or just do a hub motor for her. I usually ride a full suspension mountain bike on the trails for exercise. The ebike makes me want to be lazy.

Hey guys, i am a new ebike guy. Picked up a used bbshd build recently. This thing is a blast smooth all around. Been thinking of building my wife a ebike as well and i am trying to decide between another mid drive or just do a hub motor for her. I usually ride a full suspension mountain bike on the trails for exercise. The ebike makes me want to be lazy.
Welcome. This is a peaceful and friendly place to talk ebikes.

Riding an ebike doesn’t have to make you lazy. The amount of rider produced effort is of course up to the rider. Both hub and mid drive have their advantages. It comes down to preference, budget and purpose.

Thanks everyone it is relaxing to be out riding around that's the best part

Welcome. This is a peaceful and friendly place to talk ebikes.

Riding an ebike doesn’t have to make you lazy. The amount of rider produced effort is of course up to the rider. Both hub and mid drive have their advantages. It comes down to preference, budget and purpose.
I have been looking at the Hub motor from voilamart for her but it seems that the pedal assist kind of surges when kicking on from a review i saw do you know if thats a common practice with hub motors? Where as the bafang it slowly eases into the power

Abrupt power output can easily easily learned after few rides.
My FIL (in his mid 80's) was riding his ebike prior to the pandemic, gotten used to the power output of a hub motor fear with some practice lap around the neighborhood. After two hours he was ready to ride to his favorite fishing spot.
I accompanied him the first few outings on my regular bicycle, then he wanted to be left alone to his fishing.
Now that it's been a few years since, I'm looking at e-trikes so he can stay active, for both of my in-laws.. only my MIL is 4'8" tall, needs a really short seat height.

Abrupt power output can easily easily learned after few rides.
My FIL (in his mid 80's) was riding his ebike prior to the pandemic, gotten used to the power output of a hub motor fear with some practice lap around the neighborhood. After two hours he was ready to ride to his favorite fishing spot.
I accompanied him the first few outings on my regular bicycle, then he wanted to be left alone to his fishing.
Now that it's been a few years since, I'm looking at e-trikes so he can stay active, for both of my in-laws.. only my MIL is 4'8" tall, needs a really short seat height.
Do all hub motors have that surge of power from pedal assist?

Thats pretty cool 80s still riding around, a electric trike would be pretty cool no worries of falling over. you could get her a side car on his bike lol

Depends on the software loaded on the controller and the power rating of the hub motor, 350w, 500w, 750w, 1000w; they all be tuned to have different power output from the controller.
Peak power output is what most buyers are interested in.

Sidecar rigs are very different animals than trikes, some sidecar may require upper body strength to maneuver at speed.

Less expensive e-trikes are just becoming available. Check out the threads below:

Depends on the software loaded on the controller and the power rating of the hub motor, 350w, 500w, 750w, 1000w; they all be tuned to have different power output from the controller.
Peak power output is what most buyers are interested in.

Sidecar rigs are very different animals than trikes, some sidecar may require upper body strength to maneuver at speed.

Less expensive e-trikes are just becoming available. Check out the threads below:

the lectric is interesting they have been having some decent priced stuff, foldable its like a transformer.

I have been looking at the Hub motor from voilamart for her but it seems that the pedal assist kind of surges when kicking on from a review i saw do you know if thats a common practice with hub motors? Where as the bafang it slowly eases into the power
If a hub motor has a decent controller and display e.g. a KT, and is programmed appropriately (PAS and throttle response in sinc) and power coming on as soon as someone starts peddling, set at PAS 1 there should be no uncomfortable surge on a typical size hub motor.

Back