New e bike recommendations

ronwalt99

Local time
6:10 PM
Hello, I'm 62 yr old male, large frame, 285lbs. I've owned and used an e bike for a few years, trails and urban streets. My current bike was bought used and is of an off brand. Unsure of any specifics, voltage, motor, etc.
I'm now in the market for a new e bike and the amount of different brands, options and varieties is over whelming.. Looking for experienced suggestions considering my wants in a bike.
Price range under $1500
Prefer fat tire
Wanted for trail and streets
Want to buy local as long as price is within reason of same bike from online.
Thanks for help!

If you're looking for a fat tire under $1500 you're pretty much looking at Lectric. I don't know what or if you have any other requirements but the XP 3.0 Long Range is a decent buy for $1200. Being heavier I'd recommend upgrading the brakes to a 4 piston hydraulic. Mechanical brakes are a pain to maintain.

Lectric XP is an excellent suggestion, not many manufacturers have offers as good & well equipped as Lectric XP at the $1500 price point.
I don't weigh nearly as much, so I rarely use brakes; but heavier rider & cargo load do require hydraulic brakes to be safer.
IME, mechanical disc brakes are very easy to adjust and maintain; much easier than flushing hydraulic fluid or replacing hydraulic lines.
Fat tires are good choice for heavier rider.
Buying from local bike shop is a great cause, but online pricing is very difficult to match for LBS.
Buyers are usually stuck with whatever LBS have in stock to chose from, special order ebikes are likely to involve lengthy wait time,
which negates the cost difference online; unless the LBS is offering free maintenance & services.

Idk if there are any local shops in your area that sell ebikes at your price point. Bikes from local shops here start at $3k+. I'd suggest Rad or Lectric. I don't own either but have read good things about customer support. I have a Rattan which turned out to be a decent ebike but it arrived unrideable and it took 3 months for them to honor thier warranty and send me the parts to fix it. Before buying any off the shelf ebike I'd suggest checking trustpilot.com about the company

I have a Lectric XP 2.0.....great bike......came fully assembled.....added air to tires and was off......rides well.....folding....step thru.....plenty of power on hills......the new 3.0 look nice.....go with the bigger battery if you decide to go Lectric. Good luck.

I have a Velowave e-bike that I purchased in June of last year. For just under $1300 it has been trouble free and what I expected at that price as far as the componets used. I'm 6' 4" and 285 lbs.

Take a look at Velotriks Nomad.
I have their Discover and have no complaints at all.
The Nomad has a little bigger motor and 4 inch tires. 8 speeds and 5 pas levels.
I've been sent ads for them at $1399, but that was a big sale back in December.

My wife and I are riding Magicycle Cruisers and love them. Great service and customer care. We have had our bikes now for 8 months and they have ran flawless. My bike has over 600 miles of hard Arizona desert riding. I too am a big guy, 5'10" and 270 lbs, mechanical brakes have not been a problem. I did ride a Lectric XP and they are a nice bike, not my style I guess you could say and something felt off to me as I was pedaling the bike and so I asked the tech guys at the store and they said I was one of the few who notice that they did have to move the center of the pedal point back a little over 1.5" to accommodate the folding of the bike. This might be alright for most but being 65 and having both knees replaced I felt the pedaling of the bike a little uncomfortable. And again, I wanted more of a mountain cruising bike and the Magicycle fit the price range and the ride. Just my two cents.

My wife and I are riding Magicycle Cruisers and love them. Great service and customer care. We have had our bikes now for 8 months and they have ran flawless. My bike has over 600 miles of hard Arizona desert riding. I too am a big guy, 5'10" and 270 lbs, mechanical brakes have not been a problem. I did ride a Lectric XP and they are a nice bike, not my style I guess you could say and something felt off to me as I was pedaling the bike and so I asked the tech guys at the store and they said I was one of the few who notice that they did have to move the center of the pedal point back a little over 1.5" to accommodate the folding of the bike. This might be alright for most but being 65 and having both knees replaced I felt the pedaling of the bike a little uncomfortable. And again, I wanted more of a mountain cruising bike and the Magicycle fit the price range and the ride. Just my two cents.
If you are on flat ground, mechanical's can be ok at best. Once you ride with hydraulics. You will never want to ride with anything else. The good thing is you can change over for not much.

Thanks Yogaduke, I will definitely give a look and the conversion to hydraulics. Am not really familiar with the process. Any input, direction or guidance to the conversion would be great.

If you could up your budget a little the aventon aventure comes with hydraulic brakes, a torque sensing pas, and a 750 watt motor. I just got one and I love it. Also has a throttle and a 400 pound carrying capacity. Mines was $1,899 and nothing needs upgrading. Step through is available. Check it out.

Attachments

• Offroad with Magicycle2 Small.jpg
    Offroad with Magicycle2 Small.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 72
Hello, I'm 62 yr old male, large frame, 285lbs. I've owned and used an e bike for a few years, trails and urban streets. My current bike was bought used and is of an off brand. Unsure of any specifics, voltage, motor, etc.
I'm now in the market for a new e bike and the amount of different brands, options and varieties is over whelming.. Looking for experienced suggestions considering my wants in a bike.
Price range under $1500
Prefer fat tire
Wanted for trail and streets
Want to buy local as long as price is within reason of same bike from online.
Thanks for help!
Ime ebikes under $1500 don't differ a whole lot just different frame styles & different accessories. I have friends who have bikes they've gotten off Amazon for around 1k that have been trouble free great bikes and others that spent $1500+ for a bike that's a constant headache. Customer support may be the most important aspect of buying a cheap ebike, took 3 months to get a part for mine. Trustpilot.com is good for evaluating the company before buying

Check out Aventon Aventute since the model 2 came out. The original bike is now under $1500.

Check out Aventon Aventute since the model 2 came out. The original bike is now under $1500.
Thanks! That's a great price for that bike! I've ridden my friends and it's really fun. His is really fast but feels super stable even at high speeds

Back