New Crank Needed for Himiway

BMoreySurfs

Local time
3:10 PM
At 14.5 miles my left pedal fell off the left crank arm on a brand new Himiway Cruiser. Notified customer service via email as I’ve only had the bike for 5 days. Hopefully the new left crank arm can be sent to me quickly. Having built other bikes and reviewing the video on YouTube it is important that mounting the pedal on the left is reverse threaded. It was put on carefully by hand but I have a feeling the crank arm was defective when it was machined. Minor issue. Hope to be back on the road soon.

As far as riding the Himiway Cruiser goes, this bike is fast & fun!

Attachments

• 0ADE4817-6746-4490-A7CA-F4CBED7D5AC3.jpeg
    0ADE4817-6746-4490-A7CA-F4CBED7D5AC3.jpeg
    452 KB · Views: 317
  • 25E62FDD-0DF1-47E6-B511-C1EB3BF5D083.jpeg
    25E62FDD-0DF1-47E6-B511-C1EB3BF5D083.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 310
Update: Received an email from Himiway early this morning and they are sending a new left crank arm, left pedal and offered to reimburse me for taking it to a bike shop for repairs. I am pleased with the response though I asked for an ETA and tracking number on the shipment and did not receive a response yet. Hope to have the parts soon so I can start commuting on this bike as intended.

Update: Received an email from Himiway early this morning and they are sending a new left crank arm, left pedal and offered to reimburse me for taking it to a bike shop for repairs. I am pleased with the response though I asked for an ETA and tracking number on the shipment and did not receive a response yet. Hope to have the parts soon so I can start commuting on this bike as intended.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you to get the replacement parts in a timely manner. BTW found a rack today of all places Walmart Superstore. Will be trying the on my Mustang with a spoiler on the trunk.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you to get the replacement parts in a timely manner. BTW found a rack today of all places Walmart Superstore. Will be trying the on my Mustang with a spoiler on the trunk.
Great chatting with you on the phone yesterday @Hoggdoc Be sure to post the link for that rack as I may be a buyer.

I have only ever once had a crank arm strip like that. As you said you put the pedal in by hand, the only way really, I too had done this but I failed in the that final step of actually tightening the pedal down with a wrench. Hand tight will not work and can result in serious injury to the rider, loss of control wile riding, and in certain circumstance could be fatal.

I have only ever once had a crank arm strip like that. As you said you put the pedal in by hand, the only way really, I too had done this but I failed in the that final step of actually tightening the pedal down with a wrench. Hand tight will not work and can result in serious injury to the rider, loss of control wile riding, and in certain circumstance could be fatal.
Good point @Submariner however I did tighten the pedal with a proper wrench. On the replacement crank arm I was able to use my buddies torque wrench to properly ensure the pedals are at 42nm. The other cool part is by replacing the standard pedals to the Rockbros pedals is that they thread from the back of the crank arms. I like the look too.
IMG_3471.jpg

Refund for $21.54 received from Himiway via PayPal. This is good news and another reason to suggest using PalPal when purchasing your eBike from Himiway. Expect to receive the replacement parts in April which I can use as a spare.

Took a nice 29+ mile ride Sunday up and down the coast of San Diego from Sorrento Valley to Encinitas and over to Rancho Santa Fe. When I got to the house I see had 50% battery remaining.

Refund for $21.54 received from Himiway via PayPal. This is good news and another reason to suggest using PalPal when purchasing your eBike from Himiway. Expect to receive the replacement parts in April which I can use as a spare.

Took a nice 29+ mile ride Sunday up and down the coast of San Diego from Sorrento Valley to Encinitas and over to Rancho Santa Fe. When I got to the house I see had 50% battery remaining.
Great news Brett, maybe they are cleaning up their cust support. I took the battery off my bike and still couldn't lift the damn thing high enough to even try the rack. Short of changing vehicles and thats not going to happen guess I'm stuck riding around here.

Great news Brett, maybe they are cleaning up their cust support. I took the battery off my bike and still couldn't lift the damn thing high enough to even try the rack. Short of changing vehicles and thats not going to happen guess I'm stuck riding around here.
That is too bad. Equally wrong as an automobile enthusiast and someone who spent 12+ years in the industry would be to suggest mounting a U-Haul trailer hitch to that Mustang GT. I know, it’s as repulsive as a wing spoiler on a sedan or gold rims! The weight of the bike is a huge consideration. Some where a guy is three beers in to thinking, “I’ll build a ramp and land it on my roof rack!”

That is too bad. Equally wrong as an automobile enthusiast and someone who spent 12+ years in the industry would be to suggest mounting a U-Haul trailer hitch to that Mustang GT. I know, it’s as repulsive as a wing spoiler on a sedan or gold rims! The weight of the bike is a huge consideration. Some where a guy is three beers in to thinking, “I’ll build a ramp and land it on my roof rack!”
have considered that, but then you have to buy the rack for the hitch. I'm going to wait and see just how much I get out and use this thing.

Somewhere in Michigan I'm sure lol.

FYI, on Thursday I finally received the new left arm crank and pedal from Himiway. The good news is that I can use them as spare parts as they already gave me a $21 refund to PayPal for the crank arm I purchased at SD Bikes. Been traveling on business this week so haven’t ridden it in a week but I am planning a ride after church service on Easter. Racked up 137 miles of joy on this rig and it’s a blast!

The point of this update on this thread: If you need a replacement part from Himiway it could take 3 weeks.

FYI, on Thursday I finally received the new left arm crank and pedal from Himiway. The good news is that I can use them as spare parts as they already gave me a $21 refund to PayPal for the crank arm I purchased at SD Bikes. Been traveling on business this week so haven’t ridden it in a week but I am planning a ride after church service on Easter. Racked up 137 miles of joy on this rig and it’s a blast!

The point of this update on this thread: If you need a replacement part from Himiway it could take 3 weeks.
It sure looks like they are trying to clean up their customer service issues that have been previously reported. I very happy to see that happening as I truly think the Himiway bikes represent a good value and would like to see the company succeed in this growing E-Bike market place.

Hey man so I have the exact problem happening with my cruiser. And waiting on parts. You were able to buy a left crank arm from someone other than Himiway that worked? So I guess my question is there another compatible crank arm I could buy on the meantime?

I just purchased my Himiway Zebra this past weekend. I installed everything carefully following multiple instruction videos on Youtube :)
I noticed the left pedal was finicky and very difficult to catch the thread at first. In the end everything looked fine and i was ready for my first real ride 30 miles. As most of you mentioned right around 15 miles I noticed a weird pull and when i looked down I noticed my left pedal was crooked. I'm glad I noticed it before falling on my face at 20 MPH :) After further inspection, I was able to determine the the left pedal thread was probably defective. The crank pedal thread was loose and the pedal would not affix properly. I'm lil bummed. I have to figure out how to get reimbursed for the replacement pedal.

There are ways to repair the threads if they are not damaged to bad. The most common are called Heli-Coil, others are Time-Sert. Check on Amazon and Ebay for kits. You will need to know the original thread size you can tell that by measuring the pedal threads.

Or you can buy a pair of new crank arms just make sure you buy the same length and the mounting is the same as the OEM's. Any local bike shop should be able to help you with these and the price should be reasonable unless you let them sell high end cranks you don't need.

Back