New Aventon Aventure with throttle Lag

Ima be quiet for a bit, sit back and watch someone for a bit I am.

Throttle "lag" is common and normal. First, there is a delay, second, 40-60% of the throttle travel is absolutely dead or non-responsive.

The "delay" in the pedal sensor is reasonable and a safety feature. Sitting at a stop, a fair amount of pedal rotation is fairly common and having the motor react to this "instantly" would be a major safety problem.

Better quality throttles can eliminate much of the "dead zone" in throttle travel. Programmable controllers can allow for faster reaction to throttle input, as well as pedal sensor input. Be default, and where programming is not available, the delay is considered valuable and necessary for user safety.

Now, the condition mentioned by one user of no throttle at all when not moving is NOT a common condition. However, if someone is at a dead stop, then floors the throttle and starts pedaling at the same time, the delay in activating the motor from throttle input would appear to support the concept of no throttle until moving. What is really happening, I believe, is that while the two are not connected, they just seem to be due to coincidence.
I have an Aventon that does not have a "lag" when starting from a stop using the throttle. I would consider a "delay" to be a safety issue. When I need the bike to go, I need it to go. Sometimes there are vehicles behind me that want me to move now, not in a couple of seconds. Sometimes I need to get out of the way of other traffic. There is a delay if I only try to peddle from a stop, so I'm very glad that there isn't a delay using the throttle from a stop.

I have an Aventon that does not have a "lag" when starting from a stop using the throttle. I would consider a "delay" to be a safety issue. When I need the bike to go, I need it to go. Sometimes there are vehicles behind me that want me to move now, not in a couple of seconds. Sometimes I need to get out of the way of other traffic. There is a delay if I only try to peddle from a stop, so I'm very glad that there isn't a delay using the throttle from a stop.
Two Aventon Levels, 2 months old and NO lag with PAS 1 AND throttle. 1/2 stroke required when peddling for power to come on. Use throttle when in tight spot or uphill just to start moving so I can start peddling.

You all are missing the point of the adventure model. It is marketed as a mountain bike. Not your old geysers day scotter.. I'm not takling about having 80yo finger tremors where you can't control your fingers. Imagine being half way up a huge hill and you have to stop suddenly and your in 7th. No way no how are you going to pedal enough to get the motor running. And your no way going to shift to first while stationary. Aventon makes models for different people. But this bike is designed for off road. I personally don't like a company to decide for me how safe I need to be.
The main issue here is the choice of motor and the cheep parts. Going with a cadence sensor over a torque sensor is cost cutting. Bafang makes plenty of motors that have built in torque sensors and I don't hear about a ton of feeble minded seniors getting run over because they dumb thumbed a throttle.
You certainly have a dim view of us seniors. I've ben riding for 65 years, now I'm 74 and have switched to e-bike to expand my area of exploration (we have 265 miles of dedicated, paved, bike trails in Tucson and over 1,000 miles of marked bike lanes on our roads). Aventon now lets us feeble old people throttle from a dead stop and the pedal rotation is now 180 degrees before the PAS cuts in. So far, I've managed to survive all this fancy new technology and some of us can even use a smartphone! Not sure why so many claim to never use the throttle, only PAS. Mostly what the first two levels of PAS do is to make my 63lb hog feel more like by 25lb Trek that I'm coming off of. The throttle is nice when I override my physical limits (usually about 25-30 miles on PAS) and would still like to get home in time for the early bird special at Denny's. ;)

You certainly have a dim view of us seniors. I've ben riding for 65 years, now I'm 74 and have switched to e-bike to expand my area of exploration (we have 265 miles of dedicated, paved, bike trails in Tucson and over 1,000 miles of marked bike lanes on our roads). Aventon now lets us feeble old people throttle from a dead stop and the pedal rotation is now 180 degrees before the PAS cuts in. So far, I've managed to survive all this fancy new technology and some of us can even use a smartphone! Not sure why so many claim to never use the throttle, only PAS. Mostly what the first two levels of PAS do is to make my 63lb hog feel more like by 25lb Trek that I'm coming off of. The throttle is nice when I override my physical limits (usually about 25-30 miles on PAS) and would still like to get home in time for the early bird special at Denny's. ;)
I am a old geaser. I'm not sure where we disagree. My post was referring to the adventure model. I was responding to a post that was defending the throttle lag on that particular model. It stated that it was a safety feature to protect old feeble fingers from jolting out into traffic. I'm paraphrasing.
Before aventon made the changes that (safety feature) made a mountain style bike unusable when stopped in the middle of a steep hill.
The poster assumed that old people can't control their bikes and thus are forced a feature that is not needed. Did he think there wasn't a brake?
It's a moot point now as the bike has received an update and the lag has been removed.
I was defending people our age

You all are missing the point of the adventure model. It is marketed as a mountain bike. Not your old geysers day scotter.. I'm not takling about having 80yo finger tremors where you can't control your fingers. Imagine being half way up a huge hill and you have to stop suddenly and your in 7th. No way no how are you going to pedal enough to get the motor running. And your no way going to shift to first while stationary. Aventon makes models for different people. But this bike is designed for off road. I personally don't like a company to decide for me how safe I need to be.
The main issue here is the choice of motor and the cheep parts. Going with a cadence sensor over a torque sensor is cost cutting. Bafang makes plenty of motors that have built in torque sensors and I don't hear about a ton of feeble minded seniors getting run over because they dumb thumbed a throttle.
Both Aventon and my bike shop told me that the Aventure.2 is NOT a mountain bike but a comfort fat tire bike that can possibly be used on mountain trails but only mild-mannered ones. I am 73 and am that Geezer you refer to. I love this bike because of the pedal assist, which as I age will be even more valuable. And it is comfortable, especially with the suspension seat post I got from Aventon. The weight is not a problem.

I did have a wake up call to make sure to squeeze the brakes when stopped. I was stopped at a light and I dropped my water bottle. When I leaned over to pick it up, my opposite foot must have pushed on the pedal a bit and the torque sensor thought I needed an assist and the bike wanted to move out into the traffic. Luckily, I actually lost my balance and tipped over on the curb and disengaged the torque sensor. Not hurt! So now I always push on the brakes at a stop which turns off the motor. I think that’s one of the things one learns quickly on e-bikes. It’s an adjustment.

Back