New Aventon Aventure disappointment BEWARE !

ATC2

Local time
2:57 PM
Got mine yesterday, they did not include the key. Took it out for the very first ride bike felt great until I realized that I had no brakes, got the crap scared out of me when approaching the STOP sign. Fortunately there were no cars coming did a 180 a went home. Awaiting reply from Aventon. Turns out that hydraulic brake bleeding can be a little complicated . Not the experience one should have after paying 2K for a bike. On the positive side everything else about the bike seems great. But the brake thing is a big deal. Fortunately I was on level one and just trying to familiarize my self with it. Let’s see what happens next with customer service.

I could tell you some stories about bleeding brakes on my old corvette but it may drag me into a state of depression, lol.
-I don't think that brakes needing to be bled indicates a big quality problem. I do think that sellers of bikes with hydraulic brakes should provide some info on how to test and bleed them.
- I hope it is a good e-bike for you, otherwise.

Hydraulic brakes obviously make total sense in cars. Are they a plus or minus for ebikes? I think not. My Genze e22b (now available as Raven) has a combination of cable operated rear disc and cable operated drum in front using a Sturmey Archer Dyno drum brake combination. I have found braking to be exceptional, including high speed stops on steep hills. The industry has introduced a complicated system to replace a simple cable. Long term, purchasers will regret this.

I don't favor hydraulic brakes on a bicycle either.
Hydraulic brakes would not prevent me from buying a bike that liked otherwise, but I prefer cable brakes.
For me, bikes should be relatively simple to maintain by the owner.

Update, as you can see six’s months have passed and despite my initial experience and disappointments I feel that it’s only fair to let you know that Aventon’s customer service came through with flying colors. Granted it took a while but with the current supply issues and some internal changes within the company it’s understandable. All issues have been resolved to my satisfaction. So I feel that is only fair to give credit when it’s deserved. And the bike is holding up like a champ. Happy ending here.

Got mine yesterday, they did not include the key. Took it out for the very first ride bike felt great until I realized that I had no brakes, got the crap scared out of me when approaching the STOP sign. Fortunately there were no cars coming did a 180 a went home. Awaiting reply from Aventon. Turns out that hydraulic brake bleeding can be a little complicated . Not the experience one should have after paying 2K for a bike. On the positive side everything else about the bike seems great. But the brake thing is a big deal. Fortunately I was on level one and just trying to familiarize my self with it. Let’s see what happens next with customer service.
When the speed is fast, the oil pressure brake is best to brake slightly, otherwise it will lock up. Brake to the bottom after the speed drops down

I also received my Aventure last October. My brakes were fine for the first three months or so. Finally, they had to be bled. My bike mechanic told me that he read online that this is a common issue with these brakes. Since my bike was still under warranty, Aventon told me that they would cover the cost up to $50. It took almost two months to get the check, but they finally did pay for it. In six months time, I have about 985 miles on the odometer and the bike has been trouble free other than the brakes.

Update, as you can see six’s months have passed and despite my initial experience and disappointments I feel that it’s only fair to let you know that Aventon’s customer service came through with flying colors. Granted it took a while but with the current supply issues and some internal changes within the company it’s understandable. All issues have been resolved to my satisfaction. So I feel that is only fair to give credit when it’s deserved. And the bike is holding up like a champ. Happy ending here.
Very nice to read your comments about your experience with Aventon and your brakes. I'm new to Aventon so can't comment too much on their customer service. I've only ridden my new Level a few miles but, from the git-go, it seemed to be assembled and worked perfectly.

Hydraulic brakes obviously make total sense in cars. Are they a plus or minus for ebikes? I think not. My Genze e22b (now available as Raven) has a combination of cable operated rear disc and cable operated drum in front using a Sturmey Archer Dyno drum brake combination. I have found braking to be exceptional, including high speed stops on steep hills. The industry has introduced a complicated system to replace a simple cable. Long term, purchasers will regret this.
Sorry, man, you're way way wrong. Hydraulics with the largest rotors that can be mounted on it is the way to go. Their stopping power can't be compared with standard brakes realistically. I'm sure someone can show you the numbers, stats, and facts to prove it but all you have to do is see for yourself. I've ridden over 37K miles on the same set of Tektro Dorado hydraulic brakes with zero issues other than regular yearly maintenance. One rebuild on the front because I went 2 years without changing the fluid and it expands as it slowly absorbs moisture, and a seal failed... all my fault, not the brakes or the design. And that's on a heavy bike, ridden all year round. I've ridden bikes for 6 decades now and will never own another bike without true hydraulic disc brakes, even cable to hydraulic brakes suck.

I agree 100% BBassett...
Once you have done it yourself you will find it's not difficult with a bleed kit but not all hydraulic brakes are the same. Brakes on low-end ebike, especially crap Chinese ebikes, are low-end brakes, you get what you pay for. Stay safe.

Went from mineral oil to some DOT oil the LBS said was better due to less moisture saturation.

wow $85 for a bleed is nuts man...the LBS i go to charges me $18 for both front and rear brake bleed and refill.

I agree 100% @BBassett.
Hydraulic brakes gives me peace of mind due to its reliability and safety advantages over cable actuated type brakes.
I think it's mandatory on all ebikes sold now days, isn't it? I can't think of an ebike brand without hydraulic brakes. Even the cheapo Chinese ebikes comes with hydraulic brakes
Bleeding them tho it's another story, It requires an experience bike tech. I just had my Magura MT5 bled and it costed $85
There are many eBikes that use mechanical discs rather than hydraulic discs.

Mechanical discs are more than adequate for most scenarios (save, perhaps, for 50mph backside descents on a 75# bike with a 250# rider), and much simpler to maintain yourself.

Example:

Now you of course will not find cantilever or u-brakes on an eBike, which are simpler still than discs, whether mechanical or hydraulic discs.

There are many eBikes that use mechanical discs rather than hydraulic discs. Mechanical discs are more than adequate for most scenarios...
So... no real experience with ebikes huh? I suppose that drum brakes on cars are the same as 6-piston calipers squeezing ceramic discs too? Way wrong.

So... no real experience with ebikes huh? I suppose that drum brakes on cars are the same as 6-piston calipers squeezing ceramic discs too? Way wrong.
Toyota Tacoma uses drums in the rear still. Muscle cars and super cars through the 70s likewise used drums at all four corners often. Many current eBikes use mechanical discs. No one is dying riding them either. Hence "adequate".

A few more current generation ebikes with mechanical - not hydraulic - discs:

https://www.aventon.com/products/so...wKmvN-V-_zjWAEoFHEk_ICFISKTgUc_caAgDaEALw_wcB

Toyota Tacoma uses drums in the rear still. Muscle cars and super cars through the 70s likewise used drums at all four corners often. Many current eBikes use mechanical discs. No one is dying riding them either. Hence "adequate"...
Oh, God, you are perfect for this Forum... they (Toyota) use them still because they are cheap. Cars "through the 70s" used them because they were CHEAP, not because they were better. So... you don't have an ebike huh? You can cut the ads for cheap POS ebikes, trust me there is plenty of bad advice to be had here you all seem to window shop in the same places. You don't need to be another "A"*%$.

So, regen braking is an overhyped cash grab, but hydraulic disk brakes with huge rotors are really necessary?

Huge load of BS.

Are there situations where they are a good idea? Sure. Are they a need for most ebikers? Absolutely not.

Gear for bike snobs, and adrenaline junkies.

Necessary for safety, not at all. Cable actuated disk, regen braking, even rim brakes are fine for many, and less of a maintenance hassle.

Use the right tool for the right job. Nobody needs a useless tool.

Oh, God, you are perfect for this Forum... they (Toyota) use them still because they are cheap. Cars "through the 70s" used them because they were CHEAP, not because they were better. So... you don't have an ebike huh? You can cut the ads for cheap POS ebikes, trust me there is plenty of bad advice to be had here you all seem to window shop in the same places. You don't need to be another "A"*%$.
The question isn't cost, or better/worse. You can always engineer a better solution for any task. The question is whether mechanical disc brakes are adequate for ebikes, and they clearly are. Just as drum brakes were and remain adequate for most motor vehicle applications.

Rather than reveal your ignorance - about bicycles and motor vehicles and physics in general - and make yourself look rather stupid in the process with the sophomoric attitude, just man up, admit your mistake and move on.

The question isn't cost, or better/worse. You can always engineer a better solution for any task. The question is whether mechanical disc brakes are adequate for ebikes, and they clearly are. Just as drum brakes were and remain adequate for most motor vehicle applications. Rather than reveal your ignorance - about bicycles and motor vehicles and physics in general - and make yourself look rather stupid in the process with the sophomoric attitude, just man up, admit your mistake and move on.
So no ebike... got it. Everything is adequate when you don't do anything. Toilet paper makes a great climbing rope if you never leave your couch is that it? Let's talk again when you have some experience under your belt, enough to actually know what you're talking about and not just regulating bad info from other sources.

Back