New and Excited, but have questions

DJKnut

Local time
6:12 PM
This site looks like it will be a GREAT resource... I downloaded the package the contains "KarlsGuide.pdf", which contains a TON of good info and directions... but none of the highlighted links work... like "... For instruction manuals for all three display types look here.", or "...More info on those three items can be found in this article."...?? .... Has anyone found the locations for the two very (potentially) valuable sites...( for display manuals and programming instruction and cable info...)
My project is setting up an adult, seven speed, Trike... the construction part worked great, but it's scary fast....for a 76 year old duffer, that just wants to gently cruise around my hilly neighborhood !! Glad to have joined this group, Cheers... Dave

@DJKnut - Post some pics of your project Dave. Not sure what controller you put on it but on my Himiway Cruiser I went into the display and was able to change the assist from 0-5 to 0-9 and set things like 1 at 10%, 2 at 20% and 9 at 99% etc. Like the customization that was available on this particular fat tire eBike and have now logged 320+ miles on it. It also has a Samsung 48v 17.5aH battery which is excellent for the range I desired. Plenty of hills here in North County San Diego...even here on the coast. Can’t wait to see your project Dave.

Attachments

• 949815BA-2D7A-4A12-A44C-4EA872A904AB.jpeg
    949815BA-2D7A-4A12-A44C-4EA872A904AB.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 198
Here I go.... Started with a 'PEXMOR' 7 speed, adult trike, and bought a Bafang 750 watt mid-drive motor kit... opted for a 44 tooth ring gear and a 17.5 AH 'Shark' battery. Then the fun began... Immediately I had to modify the bikes frame, by making the standard (US) pedal crank mount tube (with it's 2" ID size) the the Euro 1 3/8" size that the Bafang was designed to fit... I 'JB Welded' in two adapters I made from 'Micarta' (a world war 2 fiber reinforced super plastic) and added the battery tray... and away I went... SCARY FAST !! I downloaded the Bafang Config Tool software, and bought the USB to Bafang connector wire, and now have a docile neighborhood cruiser... Still tweaking things a bit... have a 36 tooth 'BlingRing' to help get the chain into proper alignment, and a better gearing... but at the moment, it's very workable... Love it !! (Going from two wheels to Three is a little weird, but I'm adapting, and my wife's happy that I won't tip over..!)

Attachments

• eTrike_1.JPG
    eTrike_1.JPG
    384.8 KB · Views: 188
  • eTrike_2.JPG
    eTrike_2.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 169
  • eTrike_3.JPG
    eTrike_3.JPG
    341.9 KB · Views: 183
  • eTrike_4.JPG
    eTrike_4.JPG
    425 KB · Views: 181
  • eTrike_5.JPG
    eTrike_5.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 180
  • eTrike_6.JPG
    eTrike_6.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 188
Here I go.... Started with a 'PEXMOR' 7 speed, adult trike, and bought a Bafang 750 watt mid-drive motor kit... opted for a 44 tooth ring gear and a 17.5 AH 'Shark' battery. Then the fun began... Immediately I had to modify the bikes frame, by making the standard (US) pedal crank mount tube (with it's 2" ID size) the the Euro 1 3/8" size that the Bafang was designed to fit... I 'JB Welded' in two adapters I made from 'Micarta' (a world war 2 fiber reinforced super plastic) and added the battery tray... and away I went... SCARY FAST !! I downloaded the Bafang Config Tool software, and bought the USB to Bafang connector wire, and now have a docile neighborhood cruiser... Still tweaking things a bit... have a 36 tooth 'BlingRing' to help get the chain into proper alignment, and a better gearing... but at the moment, it's very workable... Love it !! (Going from two wheels to Three is a little weird, but I'm adapting, and my wife's happy that I won't tip over..!)
Nice job on the conversion. Looks like you are excellent at fabricating when necessary. I understand your statement about going from two wheels to three. The first time I rode a 3 wheel motorcycle I was surprised how much effort was required to turn the damn thing.

Nicest 3 wheel eBike I’ve ever seen. Any thoughts on putting wider tires on it?
I'm 99% a street rider, and fat tires wouldn't be of any real help... even though it would look cool..! One of my goals was to stay as dry as possible on the many rainy days we get here... and also try to keep the cost down, which worked out very well... my last tweak was to put a 36 tooth BlingRing on the pedal crank, this broght the 36 to 28 low gear ratio down to where the motor can spin up with much less strain, and it's given me the neighborhood cruiser (hills and all!!) that I was hoping for !

I'm 99% a street rider, and fat tires wouldn't be of any real help... even though it would look cool..! One of my goals was to stay as dry as possible on the many rainy days we get here... and also try to keep the cost down, which worked out very well... my last tweak was to put a 36 tooth BlingRing on the pedal crank, this broght the 36 to 28 low gear ratio down to where the motor can spin up with much less strain, and it's given me the neighborhood cruiser (hills and all!!) that I was hoping for !
Sounds like you are using very sound thinking in this build, I commend you sir.

OK... I think I said this before... but this is my last eTrike tweak... After dumping the rear 7 speed stack for the single 30 tooth freewheel sprocket... I got going, exactly where I wanted it... BUT, it showed that stopping was not where it should be... OK for planed stops, but an emergency would have been a big problem... so I dumped the rear 'band' brake, and installed a 'drum' brake kit... an easy swap, and a terrific improvement... I think I'm finished, and I'm very happy with my eTrike neighborhood cruiser... I can go any where, any time. and I know I'll get back home.... that new rear sprocket sets the peddle ratio where I can get it home even if the battery or motor fail and I have to do it manually, hills and all !! ;)

It's a good thing that I enjoy tinkering with my eTrike... because I'm having to deal with yet another problem... When I switched from a 7 speed to a single rear sprocket, I got rid of the derailer as well... and tensioned the chain to 'snug'... but I found out yesterday, on a two mile outing, that the chain warms up enough to disengage the sprocket... so, now I'm refitting the derailer to be in a fixed position, aligning the chain with the rear sprocket and the spring loading will take up any slack the develops due to prolonged peddling... I also found out that the master link that I used when I adjusted the chain length for single speed use, was actually too wide to conform to the skinny multi-speed chain and wouldn't feed through the derailer when I but it back into service. While I had some proper width master snap links... I couldn't set them, so now I've got a snap link plier tool ordered.... Once again... I've found that DIY is an option that OFTEN finds you learning stuff at right angles to what you were aiming to accomplish... At this point, I'm VERY knowledgeable about the mechanics of eTrikes... more so than I ever thought I'd need to be... My advise is, don't assume that buying a couple of kits will be the short path to a smooth eRide... HOWEVER... every time I go riding, I'm still VERY satisfied that I went this way.... at least, if my ride develops a problem, I'll be more prepared to deal with it..!! Cheers, Dave

Back