Need longer cord on Mahle ebikemotion range extender battery

Mlsphd

Local time
3:32 AM
I got a Cannondale Treadwell Neo Remixte and want to use a range extender battery on it. It uses the Mahle ebikemotion hub drive. The problem is that when I mount the range extender battery on the seat tube it is a few inches too far away from the charging port for the internal battery. Communications with Mahle and Cannondale have been amazingly frustrating and unproductive--each placing responsibility on the other and basically saying we don't have an extension so tough. I am a bit hesitant to just cut the battery to battery cord on the extender but wondering if I could do that and just add some length to the cord. (reasonably competent at wiring/soldering). Any suggestions? The availability of the extender was a consideration in our purchase and quite disappointed that neither of the companies has any interest in making it work on that frame.

Match the guage of the wire, make CERTAIN you tape and shrink wrap carefully, do not make it longer than it reasonably needs to be, and there should be no problem whatsoever with splicing in additional wire.

Companies, for the most part, simply do not care about one person with one problem.

Wait, you are going extra battery to existing battery charging port? EEEEk. MUCH, much better to go directly to controller power input. There are multiple reasons for this.

Match the guage of the wire, make CERTAIN you tape and shrink wrap carefully, do not make it longer than it reasonably needs to be, and there should be no problem whatsoever with splicing in additional wire.

Companies, for the most part, simply do not care about one person with one problem.

Wait, you are going extra battery to existing battery charging port? EEEEk. MUCH, much better to go directly to controller power input. There are multiple reasons for this.
Thanks for your suggestions. I did go ahead and splice in some additional wire. It was a longer than anticipated process-carefully cutting the wires and getting the crimp fittings to hold. It works...I added a bit more than necessary but cable ties will save the day. The reason I wanted to do it this way is to take advantage of the full functionality of the Mahle extender battery (e.g. can be used to recharge built in battery, get longer range, etc.). We will be using the ebikes on our motorhome so this way I can charge the extender batteries in the motorhome and plug them into the bike to recharge.
I'm glad I was able to get this set on my own but very disappointed in both Mahle and Cannondale. They were totally unhelpful! Some of the people who buy ebikes have challenges. A simple OEM extension cord would significantly enhance the usability of this type of bike for someone who has some challenges. I simply think shame on Mahle and Cannondale for their tone deafness to the needs of some individuals with disabilities. Shame on them....

Attachments

• extension cord.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 265
Thanks for your suggestions. I did go ahead and splice in some additional wire. It was a longer than anticipated process-carefully cutting the wires and getting the crimp fittings to hold. It works...I added a bit more than necessary but cable ties will save the day. The reason I wanted to do it this way is to take advantage of the full functionality of the Mahle extender battery (e.g. can be used to recharge built in battery, get longer range, etc.). We will be using the ebikes on our motorhome so this way I can charge the extender batteries in the motorhome and plug them into the bike to recharge.
I'm glad I was able to get this set on my own but very disappointed in both Mahle and Cannondale. They were totally unhelpful! Some of the people who buy ebikes have challenges. A simple OEM extension cord would significantly enhance the usability of this type of bike for someone who has some challenges. I simply think shame on Mahle and Cannondale for their tone deafness to the needs of some individuals with disabilities. Shame on them....
Lemond ships a short extender with their bike. Maybe they would sell u one.

Thanks for the info..I already did the mod (cut&splice) and all seems ok. I really like the extender and it will do just we need. While driving in the rv we can charge the extender batteries then use them to charge the main.

Back