Need Input for Trek Farley 7 Build

Nuckingfuts

Local time
1:27 AM
This is m first time posting here and have been using the search function extensively to answer most of my research questions (thanks to all of you just for that!) but I'm still coming up short and/or looking for confirmation on my approach to building my first e-bike.

My plan is to use a 2022 trek Farley 7 fat bike as my platform to build a mid-drive BBSHD set up. I am 6'2" 215 lb so I'm using an XL size frame. My local terrain is steep, rocky, desert sand on one side of the valley and mountain dirt Sierra forests on the other. I'd like to be able to ride steep technical rocky/sandy climbs and singletrack in the summer and of course snow packed trails in the winter (I'm in Reno,NV so we get plenty of both)

I've only seen one other Trek Farley e-bike build (Fat Bike Rider) but I'm sure there are more out there (please let me know if you do). From what I understand the bottom bracket is wider than 120 mm so some modifications will be required to fit the locking ring. Also since the 2022 comes with a 1x12 drivetrain my concern is the chain line for the bigger cogs. I've seen several folks recommend swapping to a 1x8 setup (not sure if this is enough gearing for my size and >20% grade climbs?). Other gearing recommendations? I'm not sure but I'm hoping a 36T lekkie will fit so maybe we can use this as a basis for front gearing??

Does anyone here know if an 8 speed cassette will drop onto a Shimano 10 freehub? If so, will it require a spacer? I read somewhere that a 1.8mm spacer may be required but not totally sure.

In any case, I should have the bike on hand in a couple weeks and then plan to start ordering parts. Since the frame is an XL I'm hoping to fit at least a 52V 20Ah battery in the frame.

I'm open to hearing any thoughts or things to consider for this build from you more experienced folks. I plan to start a build thread as well once I get going. Thanks!

I would keep the existing cassette and set the derailleur stops to stay off the smaller cogs. More teeth engagement.
I understand that a 42T chainring is the smallest you can use on a BBS02B like I have, may be different on a BBSHD.

Good thought on the tooth engagement, I'll take that into consideration!

A fella here in thos video was able to get the 40T bling ring mounted to a Farley (same frame as the 2022) with a 1x10 setup. Thoughts?

I haven't started researching batteries yet but I keep hearing folks refer to different types (i.e. 25R, 30Q, 35E, GA, etc). Based on my intended purpose and terrain is there a specific type I should stick to?

Is it safe to assume that Samsung, LG, and Panasonic are all good name brand batteries to go with?
I began to browse Em3ev at lunch today since several folks recommended them as a reputable supplier of quality batteries.

I plan to use the search this weekend to travel down that rabbit hole but I thought I'd ask in hopes you could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

I haven't started researching batteries yet but I keep hearing folks refer to different types (i.e. 25R, 30Q, 35E, GA, etc). Based on my intended purpose and terrain is there a specific type I should stick to?

Is it safe to assume that Samsung, LG, and Panasonic are all good name brand batteries to go with?
I began to browse Em3ev at lunch today since several folks recommended them as a reputable supplier of quality batteries.

I plan to use the search this weekend to travel down that rabbit hole but I thought I'd ask in hopes you could point me in the right direction.

I have a 2019 Trek Farley 5 in a 2019 Trek Farley 7 and I also live in Reno, Nevada. Purchased both my bikes at Scheels and they are not too willing to help with upgrading anything on the Farley I need some help with the cranks and stuff like that I guess I'll start a new post but please keep us posted on what you do with this bicycle and how the outcome came out when you do the e-bike setup. I'm interested to see how this comes out I want to do the same thing.

Back