Need help connecting battery with controller

chyaboi

Local time
5:12 PM
So my battery and my controller have 2 different connectors. Controller is using ring terminals and my battery is using xt60. How do I go about connecting them together? Xt60 male and solder my own ring terminals on the end or? I have no idea how thick the wires are. The controller wires and battery wires seem like the same thickness? Not sure. The battery is a 72v battery. Messing with electricity is pretty scary without plug and play.

IMG_20220520_235927090.jpg
IMG_20220520_235945469.jpg
IMG_20220520_235815943.jpg

Wires are labeled for thickness.

What you should do is get a pre-made, pre-crimped XT60 pigtail, then you just cut, strip, splice, and shrinkwrap the new connections.

If you want matching connectors, you need to order it that way.

Wires are labeled for thickness.

What you should do is get a pre-made, pre-crimped XT60 pigtail, then you just cut, strip, splice, and shrinkwrap the new connections.

If you want matching connectors, you need to order it that way.
Yeah unfortunately none of the wires are labeled with the awg thickness. This is chinese stuff so idk guess it's just not labeled. Yeah I have a xt60 male with pigtail wires coming. I bought 12awg I think that should be okay. My controller is 72v 80a 3000w and my motor is 3000w 72v. It says RC on this 12awg xt60 pigtail is 60a which I think will be okay. I'm going to crimp ring terminals on the end of the xt60 and hope that's fine?

WHAT?????

You CUT OFF the ring terminals, strip the insulation, then strip the pigtails, for an inch or two on each wire, and just splice the wires.

Make CERTAIN you correctly match red and black.

WHAT?????

You CUT OFF the ring terminals, strip the insulation, then strip the pigtails, for an inch or two on each wire, and just splice the wires.

Make CERTAIN you correctly match red and black.
It's bad to keep the ring terminals?

For what possible reason?

Do you notice that when connecting the xt60s, there is no current-carrying metal exposed to touch or contact with other bare metal?

Do you notice that the rings have no such covering or protection?

Do you want to string a dozen unprotected electrical contacts together, or have as few as possible, like only ONE, and have that ONE, electrical contact, UNexposed and PROTECTED from touch (from conductive human fingers) and also from contact, with other, exposed electrical contacts.???

You shrinkwrap ALL spliced connections. Protected and covered. NO EXPOSED CONTACTS.

For what possible reason?

Do you notice that when connecting the xt60s, there is no current-carrying metal exposed to touch or contact with other bare metal?

Do you notice that the rings have no such covering or protection?

Do you want to string a dozen unprotected electrical contacts together, or have as few as possible, like only ONE, and have that ONE, electrical contact, UNexposed and PROTECTED from touch (from conductive human fingers) and also from contact, with other, exposed electrical contacts.???

You shrinkwrap ALL spliced connections. Protected and covered. NO EXPOSED CONTACTS.
I agree. I connected first time to test if stuff worked and there was sparks, was a little scary. But it did come with this box to put the terminals in. I'm going to take your advice though and just cut off the ends and make xt60 to xt60 connection. I did not like the sparks when testing lol

Attachments

• IMG_20220521_090226006.jpg
    IMG_20220521_090226006.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 113
You will get sparks in this instance. It is a function of voltage, primarily, and you are dealing with dangerously high voltages.

That is why they make, especially in xt60s, an "ANTI-SPARK" unit, which, as you might guess, will eliminate the sparks.

There is a specific connection sequence with a pause which needs to be followed. Not complex.

Not all xt60s have this feature. Must be specifically ordered, if available. Different connector unit, different pigtail. Only a few extra bucks.

You will get sparks in this instance. It is a function of voltage, primarily, and you are dealing with dangerously high voltages.

That is why they make, especially in xt60s, an "ANTI-SPARK" unit, which, as you might guess, will eliminate the sparks.

There is a specific connection sequence with a pause which needs to be followed. Not complex.

Not all xt60s have this feature. Must be specifically ordered, if available. Different connector unit, different pigtail. Only a few extra bucks.
Is it absolutely necessary to get the anti spark plugs? I can't really find any xt60 anti spark plugs with pigtails

Absolutely necessary? Well, generally no, BUT - YOU do not want sparks, YOU chose a 72V battery, YOU will endure the potential heart stoppage from that voltage, so..... YOU get to choose.

At that voltage level I would call them ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY, but that is an opinion. In addition to the very real health risk, the other consequence from sparks is possible controller damage, and 72V controllers tend to be a bit pricey.

There is a very good reason that virtually ZERO consumer-grade battery tools or devices come with any voltage over 60V, as that is the voltage where heart stoppage, and subsequent assumption of room temperature, starts to be a significant risk.

Absolutely necessary? Well, generally no, BUT - YOU do not want sparks, YOU chose a 72V battery, YOU will endure the potential heart stoppage from that voltage, so..... YOU get to choose.

At that voltage level I would call them ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY, but that is an opinion. In addition to the very real health risk, the other consequence from sparks is possible controller damage, and 72V controllers tend to be a bit pricey.

There is a very good reason that virtually ZERO consumer-grade battery tools or devices come with any voltage over 60V, as that is the voltage where heart stoppage, and subsequent assumption of room temperature, starts to be a significant risk.
I hear you. Safety is a big concern for me. I cannot find a single anti spark xt60

Go to an xt 90 and do both of them.
Yeah I have my XT90 anti sparks with pigtails. Soldering shouldn't be too hard, pretty straight forward (I've soldered way in the past). Watched some guides and it should be easy. My only concern is cutting off the XT60 end from the battery. What happens if I accidentally touched the positive and negative coming from the battery?

Very bad things. Depending on fuses, or lack thereof, and wiring, and luck, maybe brand new battery time.

Cut one end at a time, cover thoroughly, splice and shrinkwrap one side, then the other.

Back