Narrower road tires on an Aventon Aventure?

FastEddieB

Local time
3:15 AM
The thread title pretty much says it.

I just bought a used Aventure, and it’s great. It’s going to spend most of its time on the road, and I’m wondering if it’s possible/safe to use a narrower road tire on the current rims. Stock tires are 26 x 4" “Ebike Rated Tires”.

Curious if anyone has gone this route and how well it worked.

Here she is before getting cleaned up.

52325604712_afbc6cd901_z.jpg

I’ve removed the rear fender as well and I think the rack may also go - I tend to (painfully) bang my shin against it when dismounting.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on the inner width of your rim. Please measure your inner rim width and then check with the tire manufacturer to see if their tire will suit your rim. You could even try asking Aventon what they recommend.

I'd say you wouldn't be able to go below a 3.8" tire based on the charts I found online.

Screenshot from 2022-09-12 15-17-04.png

Source: lightbicycle.com/newsletter/tire-size-chart-for-bicycle-rim.html

Screenshot from 2022-09-12 15-26-52.png

Source: icebike.org/bike-tire-size-chart/

Thanks for that.

Just yesterday I ordered a pair of these, staying with 26x4.0”.

52352573493_a7490d5e3a_z.jpg

Apparently the wire bead models are 30 tpi, while the folding models are 120 tpi. It’s alleged that less tpi means more puncture resistance. I’ll report back on how they do.

As an aside, I also ordered new tubes with presta stems plus the conversion grommets. My floor pump and CO2 inflator are both presta, so it makes sense to keep things standardized for presta.

Just going off the top of my head, but would you be able to replace the entire wheels with those of the Aventon Pace (which has tires more appropriate for asphalt)? That might be worth emailing Aventon about as well.

Front wheel:

Rear wheel:

I would imagine you could go to a " Plus size"( with the proper rim width) have seen 3.5s advertised, if you are having trouble getting on you might try a step-thru next time( I did, and was glad) I always thought fenders were a nice touch to keep crude off of the bike and one's person. The "supercells sure look a lot like Chaoyang "sandstorm" tires very good on the 'tarmac" and cheaper.

The thread title pretty much says it.

I just bought a used Aventure, and it’s great. It’s going to spend most of its time on the road, and I’m wondering if it’s possible/safe to use a narrower road tire on the current rims. Stock tires are 26 x 4" “Ebike Rated Tires”.

Curious if anyone has gone this route and how well it worked.

Here she is before getting cleaned up.

52325604712_afbc6cd901_z.jpg

I’ve removed the rear fender as well and I think the rack may also go - I tend to (painfully) bang my shin against it when dismounting.

Thanks in advance.
I just read a few days ago where someone fit a 2.5 tire on a 4" rim with no issue, so I think you will be just fine doing something like that with a "ROAD" tire.

Check "biknut" post on this forum for his story about doing something like you want to do.

Back