Bacchetta Corsa with a Bafang BBS02B

Denny

Local time
3:26 AM
Name: Denny. Cyclist! and photographer, among other things. Ride recumbents. I assembled my Bacchetta Corsa with a Bafang BBS02B that has failed. Need help.

Attachments

• Anti-Rotation Bracket.jpg
    Anti-Rotation Bracket.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 656
  • 20180613_072854.jpg
    20180613_072854.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 584
  • 20180613_072727_bdr.jpg
    20180613_072727_bdr.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 594
  • 20180512_161804_001.jpg
    20180512_161804_001.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 557
Denny what exactly is your issue with the Bafang kit? If you can provide some more information that would be great :)

Hi! Thank you for your response. I have diagnosed and solved my problem. It turned out to be electrical isolated to the electrical supply system (battery connections). First, the connection between the motor and the battery bracket came loose. The connector design was woefully, poorly designed. I tightened this connection and wrapped with electrical tape and zip ties. Then, the soldered connection inside the battery attachment bracket broke loose (photo). I fixed that by doing my own soldering job and then locking the connection in place using dielectric potting (photos). Finally, the four connection prongs that slide into the bottom battery socket became corroded; thus, giving an intermittent continuity. I solved that problem by periodically cleaning off the four electrical prongs and socket and coating same with electrician's grease. All is well now. By the way, I have listed photos, materials, and the repair I did for the potting fix here for anyone else that may have had the same problem as I. By the way, other than the electrical issues, this Bafang system is working very well on my Bacchetta Corsa 26" Al. frame recumbent. Thank you again for your response.

Attachments

• Dam Removed.jpg
    Dam Removed.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 402
  • Play Doe Dam.jpg
    Play Doe Dam.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 381
  • Potting Supplies.jpg
    Potting Supplies.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 385
  • Solder Failure.jpg
    Solder Failure.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Internal Repair.jpg
    Internal Repair.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 401
I'm glad you found and fixed your problem. The majority of electrical issues can be traced to poorly designed connectors and loose wires. These problems can be easily found with a multi meter and fixed with some basic soldering skills. Thanks for the in depth description and photos - I know your guide will help someone out in the future!

Denny I just purchased a Corsa to convert to an ebike, would you change anything if you had it to do over? Thanks

I really liked your creative use of Play Doh as a dam while potting the repaired connections. Could you provide details on the potting material and it's source for all the followers here?

Denny I just purchased a Corsa to convert to an ebike, would you change anything if you had it to do over? Thanks
No! Everything is working beautifully. Suggestions: Install all the options with the Bafang kit, like the gear sensor. I'd also recommend using their stock brake levers instead of the brake sensors you would attach to your own brake levers (save $25). I tossed my clip-in pedals and replaced them with those large, flat pedals with the little spikes on both sides (Amazon), better for starting and stopping. I always use the thumb throttle with which to take off, then place my feet on the pedals. I did have to open up the motor and lubricate the axial and thrust bearings. Easy to do if you have a couple special tools. Email me should you have any questions at giaruso@roadrunner.com.

What battery do you use and what would you recommend?
I use the 48 volt battery Bafang sent me with my original order. I do not know the AH nor the brand, but it's over three years old now and working just fine. If you have the room on your bike, a 52 volt battery will work with the Bafang 750W motor and you'd get a bit more range and power out of it. If you do go with the Bafang kit for your Corsa, do either mount the motor in the extreme up position--against that vertical post that holds your front shifter--or secure it in place with a bracket as I did on mine. If you don't, the motor can rotate up and down under power and you risk pulling the wires out of the motor.

Just installed a Bafang BBS02 750w mid motor,48v 20.3 AH Whale Shark battery,DPC-18LCD display Set the display at 0-9 rode 41 miles in #4 started the ride with 52.6 volts ended with 52.2 volts. it looks like I can use a higher level and still get plenty of miles Next ride I will ride in level #5 and check millage. Do you know what voltage the motor shuts off at?

Just installed a Bafang BBS02 750w mid motor,48v 20.3 AH Whale Shark battery,DPC-18LCD display Set the display at 0-9 rode 41 miles in #4 started the ride with 52.6 volts ended with 52.2 volts. it looks like I can use a higher level and still get plenty of miles Next ride I will ride in level #5 and check millage. Do you know what voltage the motor shuts off at?
Wow that is great, were you riding on mostly flat ground?

Live in Florida normal ride have around 900 feet of climb. The bike seems to have a big difference between setting 4 and 5. I dont really know what to expect,don't fell any help when riding but when making a turn around a low speed had better watch out because the bike will take off with just a touch of the pedals. With only one ride I still have a lot too learn. Might set display to 0-5 and see what that fells like. Did some research and the motor should shut off at around 41 volts. I was really scared about all the extra weight but once I started riding I never noticed the extra weight. Going to spend the day working on the wiring looks kind of messy some wires too long some too short,going to add some length to the speed lever, going to remove the couplings on the battery extender cable and just solder the cables together.

Back