Mysterious code 3 from EBikeKit console

Wascally Wabbit

Local time
4:21 PM
I have a SunSeeker Fat Tad with an add-on kit from EBikeKit. Several times in the past, I have had fried motor/cable problems stemming from driving the engine too hard for too long up a hill, usually announcing itself as a code complaining about a Hall sensor or cabling issue, combined with a very hot cable and controller housing.

A week ago, I forgot myself and pushed the bike too hard again, and got the dreaded Code 3, complaining about a bent pin. Nothing I was doing at the time could have bent a pin. I have ridden dozens of miles with that cable. I assumed that either the engine or the cable had cooked, even though they were not all that hot when the bike went down. I got a replacement for the 9-pin cable connecting controller to hub. The old one looked OK. The new cable did not fix the problem. Detaching the cable and booting up the controller got me a different error code complaining about cabling (which I would expect), so a gross misconnection to the hub seems unlikely.

I happened to have a known working engine of the exact same type and model in reserve, so I hooked it up to the power cable just to see if I could get it to turn. It did not, reporting Code 3. All of my cables and connectors look good.

What's going on?

So something might have gotten hot enough to melt some wire sheathing or a solder joint possibly came undone perhaps?

Back