Motor will not cut out

classicvelo

Local time
12:47 PM
Seems most problems are making the bike go when it stops, my issue is a little different. The bike is an E Bicci, the issue is that when you set off the motor kicks in and starts to help as you expect, as soon as you freewheel it goes up to full assist and doesnt cut out until you brake. The maker has helpfully labeled all the wires so its easy to see it is all connected correctly. The speed sensor on the rear wheel has been replaced ( old one was broken) but the problem was happening before this. I can only think it is the controller that has gone wrong somehow. The ring magnet on the crank is fine and the LED on the sensor lights up. I am at a loss as to what could be wrong. Anyone have a similar experience or words of wisdom please ?

Do you have a throttle in place, if so disconnect and test. If this still fails, then reconnect throttle, disconnect PAS, and test.

Was the bike made by the Fasson corporation?

I have heard of the Fasson E Bicci.

Many thanks for the reply, there is a walk assist thumb throttle i will disconnect and test. I am not sure at what point I should try and disconnect the pedal assist system as you suggest. The bike belongs to a friend who i am failing to help :) I believe it is Spanish The only name on the down tube is E Bicci. It is quite old but seems well considered since the wires all have little white labels on to say what they are! I will see if there is any link to Fasson. Thanks for the reply again I will let you know when I have tested your ideas tomorrow. I have sorted all the mechanical issues the bike had ... I wish I had started on this problem as it seems a major stumbling block. Almost wish the motor wasn't working as there are loads of threads and info on how to sort that!

Should be a connector for the PAS right near the controller, hopefully with a little white label.

It was a joke. Fast son e bicci. Say it in Italian.

Also, while pedaling, does the assist vary with pedal speed, as it should? Or is it all one same level, until you stop pedaling, then it goes full throttle? Also, try being vary careful when you stop pedaling, to NOT pedal backwards at all. Also, test SPECIFICALLY backpedaling after starting out pedaling for a bit. Some controllers react strangely to this. Once it goes to full speed, does it slow down the assist if you begin to pedal, or do you have to brake? Have these brakes ever been replaced?

Would need to make some provisions for safety if they are the only "off" switch, but ebrakes come in two different kinds of switch, one is always open, other is always closed. Might be useful to test with ebrakes disconnected from controller, only, not the mechanical part.

What happened, right before this error started to happen? Ask your friend, at least three or four times. They never want to tell you.

The pedal sensors are fairly cheap to replace, though not likely to fail in this way. However, assuming the problem is Not the throttle, or backpedaling, or ebrakes, this is not at all a common controller error. Incorrect settings, even, would be unlikely. There just usually is not a menu item for full speed when not pedaling.

Wow you really know your stuff, and sorry for the late reply I have been busy with family illness. Missed your joke too... its usually me making this kind of joke :)
So much info in you mail!! I think you have sorted it!!! Brilliant. I disconnected the throttle connection, I noticed it had a white label on saying throttle. It joined up with the rear brake cut off wire just before the controller. With the throttle disconnected the bikes seems to work correctly. When you pedal the the assist kicks in and when you stop it also stops assisting. Before, on a ride, or in the workshop stand it would go from assisting steadily at start of pedaling until you freewheeled and then the motor went to full assist mode and didnt stop. It would never lower its assist level in the initial build up of speed but would not go all out until you freewheeled. Back pedaling in the stand or on the road didnt seem to make any difference. Once at full speed it didnt slow if you started to pedal either. The only off was to use the rear brake which has a cut off switch attached. A previous owner had disconnected all the front brake switch gear!
No need to test without the brake cut off switch attached to the controller as it works as i expect now. I think right before this error occured the bike was with its original owner. My friend then got it and rode it in this dangerous condition a few times when it "set off with her". It has been into a bike shop for some work when the battery did nothing but I think it was a simple wire connector pulled out. The pedal sensor has been replace and seems fine . Seems like the issue was to do with the throttle input. It will just be disconnected, it was only a thumb type walk assist throttle anyway. Once again thank you for you superb help. I really wish I had the knowledge to work better on electric bikes like you. I guess it is going to be a slow learning curve for me.

Back