Mixed messages on Rad Power Rad City 5

JillGat

Local time
4:39 AM
I just received my RadPower City 5+ and I couldn't be happier with it! It is a beautiful machine and works wonderfully. I am going to have a lot of fun on this thing.

However I was confused (not something new for me) by the information on the RadPower website, their videos and the user's manual.

BATTERY BALANCING: I first really learned - on this forum - about the importance of balancing the battery when the ebike is new, and after certain periods of time later. I was surprised that I didn't remember seeing anything about it in the section on "battery information" in my owners' manual.

I looked further and under number 9. "Enjoy Your Ride!" in a list of 10 in a separate leaflet I got called "Congratulations," it said "Read up on battery balancing - those important first three charges - in the owner's manual."

I didn't see anything about this in the owners' manual. In fact, in the manual I read, "we recommend you disconnect the battery from the power source and charger as soon as possible once charging is complete.... This will also prevent range decline from unnecessary charging."

I ended up writing to Customer Support and was told that the new "semi-integrated" battery does NOT require balancing.
There are so many different recommendations online - some conflicting - about how and when and how long to charge your battery, that I hope they put this in writing soon.

I would like to know what the heck semi integrated is? Sounds like some marketing mumbo-jumbo as any multi cell lithium battery I have ever come across performs better if it's charged and it's cells balance to be as close as possible to each other.

I would like to know what the heck semi integrated is? Sounds like some marketing mumbo-jumbo as any multi cell lithium battery I have ever come across performs better if it's charged and it sells balance to be as close as possible to each other.
Agreed.

[[performs better if it's charged and it sells balance to be as close as possible to each other.]]
I didn't understand this. "sells balance"?
Meant to say cells. The battery is made up of 18650 cells. Balancing the means that they are close to equal voltage when finished charging.

I am amazed you all have not been hipped to the "semi-integrated" concept. Why, this uses the New AND Improved Super-Whizzo 3000, powered by a combination of Unobtainium and pure Astral goodness, in order to dominate the entire world and have all the lesser beings kneeling at your feet.

They invested in a better quality BMS which does an improved job at balancing, but the idiots in advertising do not understand how it works, and do not think explaining it to the average consumer is either worthwhile or a good idea, and, sadly, they are probably right

Or, the guys in procurement might just be lying to everyone else in the company.

Taking a risk here - without seeing the bike, I'm guessing that "semi-integrated" means that the battery is contained partly inside the down tube, but with some of it still sticking out. It provides a better profile than traditional non-integrated batteries, but not as sleek as fully integrated batteries.
OK, now I'll check out the bike, and I might have to come back and edit this.

Taking a risk here - without seeing the bike, I'm guessing that "semi-integrated" means that the battery is contained partly inside the down tube, but with some of it still sticking out. It provides a better profile than traditional non-integrated batteries, but not as sleek as fully integrated batteries.
OK, now I'll check out the bike, and I might have to come back and edit this.
You are correct. It fits mostly inside the downtube. I think it looks really nice and Rad did well on the design. I wish it was fully recessed but it's a start. E-bikes need to break away from their manual counterparts. Many have the battery screwed on where the water bottle cage would be mounted. While this works it's basically a makeshift conversion rather than part of a design. As e-bike design is refined we're going to start seeing more purpose made e-bikes instead of conversions.

You are correct. It fits mostly inside the downtube. I think it looks really nice and Rad did well on the design. I wish it was fully recessed but it's a start. E-bikes need to break away from their manual counterparts. Many have the battery screwed on where the water bottle cage would be mounted. While this works it's basically a makeshift conversion rather than part of a design. As e-bike design is refined we're going to start seeing more purpose made e-bikes instead of conversions.
While I like the integrated battery look I'm concerned that just makes the batteries more proprietary and more difficult to replace a number of years down the road as those manufacturers stop making those models. That's why I chose the bike that I did that has the more traditional mounted on the downtube because batteries are available everywhere in that style.

While I like the integrated battery look I'm concerned that just makes the batteries more proprietary and more difficult to replace a number of years down the road as those manufacturers stop making those models. That's why I chose the bike that I did that has the more traditional mounted on the downtube because batteries are available everywhere in that style.
I would say with some companies this might be a concern but not with Rad. They are pretty good at support except the current supply chain crisis of course. If you’re talking a decade or more then you could replace the cells as long as 18650 cells are still a thing. The cells are the same. Unless you are buying it for an apocalypse situation I don’t see it making a difference

The semi integrated battery sits lower than one that sticks up. Still has the advantage of being removable.
The closed in porch where we store the bikes it’s frequently too hot or too cold. The battery’s stay perfectly preserved inside the house.
An additional note I think there is an embedded cooling heat transfer plate that runs the length inside the frame. We can ride for hours in direct sunlight but an the end of the ride the battery’s are always cool to the touch. ( I did detect a whiff off electronics from the connector of the battery however ). As long as one remains moving I don’t think a hot battery will ever be an issue. This is a well thought out design feature that no one mentions.

Back