mid drive/hub drive

Train Dan

Local time
3:24 PM
Been searching, perhaps not asking the right questions.
Presume 'hub drive' has the electric boost in the wheel hub, and 'mid drive', which would have the boost in the crankset.
Which is to be preferred? Which is more expensive?
Total newb; bear with me.
Dan

Hi. A friend of mine added a rear hub motor to his trike and it worked well for him. However, he rode my trike with a mid mount TSDZ2 and he liked it better than his setup. The mid mount was a bit more expensive than his but the unit I picked has torque sensing pedal assist and I like it better than the cadence based pedal assist. I suggest that you look at the both the ebikes.ca and eco-ebike.com websites for more information on the two schemes.

Presume 'hub drive' has the electric boost in the wheel hub, and 'mid drive', which would have the boost in the crankset.
Dan
Dan, I would suggest you do some time on YouTube there are several videos available discussing the virtues of mid drives and hub drives that would give you some idea of the advantages and disadvantage is.

Basically in typical hub drive would be the least expensive option for sure. However, they require an external controller that has to be mounted and wired along with the battery so depending on the bike you're trying to convert to E bike that might be a factor.

I currently own a 750 w geared bike that is one of the more powerful bikes on the market. But I live in an area where I have to do a significant climb up some hills to get back to my house from the areas that I normally ride in and in wishing that I had a mid drive system at this point. Don't get me wrong the hub motor does the job OK, many hub drives would not be up to the climb.

Like I said check out YouTube there's several videos that talk about the advantages and disadvantages of both types of motors. The main advantage is the mid drive motor can take advantage of the different gear ratios provided by the rear mounted derailleur or internal gear hub.

Hub drive is easy to install and affordable. I suggest purchasing a 1000watt hub with a 52v battery. If you need more hill climbing power then go midrive.

While you're doing your research, spend some time looking for a bicycle that is designed to have 1000 watts, or more, run thru its drivetrain for extended periods of time.

When you find one, make sure and come back and tell everyone right away.

Hub motors will climb hills just fine, you just have to choose the correct one for your needs and possibly some inexpensive mods to make it better. Mainly cooling.

I have a lightweight 350W hub in a 700c wheel, it will easily climb a fairly short but very steep hill that had me walking the bike up it back when I was still in good shape, before I had the motor. Smaller wheel, bigger motor, a bit more cooling, Statorade for $20, would handle MUCH bigger hills.

If you need to pull a small boat out of the water, most trucks that will tow can handle it. For a larger boat, then you need to be a bit careful about which truck you get.

Hub drives are cheaper, they come in either front or rear. 250w is an ideal size if you're going for a front hub, a rear hub 250w 500w 1000w 1500w, though the larger kits require more expensive batteries. Mid-drives are better for hills & the 250w motors can be unrestricted at your own risk. If you're looking for cheap transport, then a 250w rear hub will do, but if you have a bit more cash I'd buy a mid-drive, so much more civilized

While you're doing your research, spend some time looking for a bicycle that is designed to have 1000 watts, or more, run thru its drivetrain for extended periods of time.

When you find one, make sure and come back and tell everyone right away.
Happy to help! The answer is 'any bike with a single-speed chain, with or without an IGH'.

(1) Presume 'hub drive' has the electric boost in the wheel hub, and 'mid drive', which would have the boost in the crankset.
(2)Which is to be preferred? (3)Which is more expensive?
Dan
(1) yes and yes.
(2) Some prefer one over the other...your choice...how are you riding...trails or streets? Yur gonna have to decide what yur needs and wants are.
(3)well that is a good question. Some Hub drive setups that reach over 70mph and climb hills like a goat will cost you over $12k.
There are some mid drive setups that will cost you an arm and a leg as well but they are mainly for offroad use.

It's really personal preference mate. Make some decisions as to what yur needs and wants are and get a bike you like and are comfy on then build the ebike ;)

Ride Safe Dan!! :cool:

HP

The only IGH certified and warranted for powered input is a $1500 Rohloff, and the whole "benefit" of crank drives applies to bikes without a "single-speed chain".

The only IGH certified and warranted for powered input is a $1500 Rohloff, and the whole "benefit" of crank drives applies to bikes without a "single-speed chain".
I've got a 3-speed Sturmey IGH that's running just fine, and there's the new Shimano unit, plus the Kindernay VII.

Get back to me in a couple years with a rundown on maintenance and replacement costs.

The mid-drive salesmen never want to discuss this aspect. Also that people in flat country have absolutely no need whatsoever for the increased purchase price, maintenance costs, and operational and installation difficulties with a crank drive.

Higher profit margins pay for a lot of salesmen.

Get back to me in a couple years with a rundown on maintenance and replacement costs.

The mid-drive salesmen never want to discuss this aspect. Also that people in flat country have absolutely no need whatsoever for the increased purchase price, maintenance costs, and operational and installation difficulties with a crank drive.

Higher profit margins pay for a lot of salesmen.
It's been a couple years already. Still on the original chain and sprocket, and the Sturmey is happily clicking along despite some offroading.

I have one of each. A 750 hub and a 1000 mid. I like them both. I use the hub drive most because I walk my dogs with the bike, and I like the quiet and smooth at low speeds. It's harder to creep with a mid-drive (better with twist grip). I also destroyed a derailleur on my mid drive when a stick flipped up and pushed it into the spokes. Remember with a mid-drive the chain must be moving at all times. Because of that the hub drive with alloy wheels is better in heavy brush. The 1000 mid drive is a brut, much more low-end power of course. It depends a lot on the kind of riding you will be doing. I could go on forever if you want to know more.

Stan

The Specialized Creo is "The Bomb". I love it! Mid-Drive is best!

There are pros & cons to both types of motor.
Generally mid-drive motor ebikes are more expensive, but that's changing, FAST.
Quality hub motor ebikes can easily suit majority of cycling needs without spending above $2K.

Whether you want to spend more to get a high performance ebike, spend minimal to get a taste whether you would enjoy cycling or just want to convert your existing bicycle to an ebike; that for you to decide.
You can get far better suggestions if you can specify your needs for an ebike.
1. Your budget.
2. Your desired range per ride.
3. Your physical capacity.
4. Your cycling goals.
5. Your typical cycling environment.
The more specific you are, the better suggestions you're likely to receive.

BTW, where I ride, within NYC metro, thousands of delivery folks on mostly hub-driven ebikes that service millions of people through pandemic.
They ride 24/7, in all weather; if their ebikes are not reliable, likely they won't be making much money without their ebikes.

Dan
Great question! The mid-drive applies torque to the chain Dan exactly where you want it and the most important reason why mid-drives are better than hubs for Class-1 thru Class-3 ebikes. Think of it this way, hub motors are for scooters, washing machines, and people that only consider the cost. A great mid-drive is around $600.00 and can be easily installed and removed at any time from most bikes. A hub motor is what you use if all you care about is keeping the cost down. You don't need to check a list of boxes... a mid-drive is superior in every way, and doubly so for a suspended bike, at least for actual riders and the "majority of cycling needs". (hahaha so stupid) Start here https://ebikesforum.com/threads/best-all-around-ebike-part-1.2161/ and if you have any other questions contact me directly.

Hub drive is easy to install and affordable. I suggest purchasing a 1000watt hub with a 52v battery. If you need more hill climbing power then go midrive.
Exactly what hub motors aren't built to do.

Back