Mechanical Questions before building first E-Bike

peteymy

Local time
9:49 AM
I'm planning my first e-bike build, but I have some questions before I start. I think I understand the electronics behind everything, but I'm having trouble with the mechanical side of things. First, I'm deciding on whether I should do a 500W or a 1000W build on the front or rear wheel. The two host bikes I can choose to convert are a Specialized Sirrus aluminum frame or an All Gt Terra Outpost steel frame. Both bikes are relatively old, but they work (might need a tune-up). I was wondering what precautions I should take before building and while building to make sure the bike doesn't tear itself apart while riding.

Would a 1000W motor be able to be a front-wheel hub? It would be nice because it would be easier to convert and manage without having to deal with the gears and such of the rear wheel. How exactly would I go about putting the hub motor on to make sure it doesn't ruin anything?

Here are the parts I was thinking of buying. If anyone happens to know if these are good or not, I would greatly appreciate some feedback!

One last question: Is it worth it? I don't really need the bike too much for travel right now, mostly for fun, so is it worth stressing about it and spending 500 or so dollars to build my own e-bike?

Thank you very much for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hi and welcome to the forum! I recall someone on here asking about the maximum wattage for a front hub kit, and the general consensus was 250-300 Watts maximum for a front ebike hub kit. Here's the thread:

So with a 1000 Watt kit you'd definitely be better with the rear hub kit - especially if you're using the bike with the aluminum frame!

Apart from that I'd probably choose the bike which is the newest out of the two, or at least in the best condition. Once you order the kit you can visualize how everything will fit a little better. You may then change your mind and choose the bike which looks easiest to install the kit on.

In terms of the hobby I'd say go for it, someone once told me to try everything at least once. So yeah an ebike build should definitely be done at least once! If you hate it so what, you can always sell it. If you love it well then welcome to a new practical hobby which will keep you fit! An ebike can also end up saving you money too if you start to use it to do all those small trips on instead of a car.

Hi and welcome to the forum! I recall someone on here asking about the maximum wattage for a front hub kit, and the general consensus was 250-300 Watts maximum for a front ebike hub kit. Here's the thread:

So with a 1000 Watt kit you'd definitely be better with the rear hub kit - especially if you're using the bike with the aluminum frame!

Apart from that I'd probably choose the bike which is the newest out of the two, or at least in the best condition. Once you order the kit you can visualize how everything will fit a little better. You may then change your mind and choose the bike which looks easiest to install the kit on.

In terms of the hobby I'd say go for it, someone once told me to try everything at least once. So yeah an ebike build should definitely be done at least once! If you hate it so what, you can always sell it. If you love it well then welcome to a new practical hobby which will keep you fit! An ebike can also end up saving you money too if you start to use it to do all those small trips on instead of a car.

So just to make sure, you would say its worth it to buy the 1000W kit with the 48V battery and connect it to my aluminum host (its the newer one) as long as I put one or two torque arms on?
Also, if you're knowledgeable about that type of stuff, does this kit and battery look good/legit? It seems pretty cheap, which is good but scares me in case there is something wrong with it.

Thank you so much!

If the aluminum frame bike is the one you would like to use, then you would be best of using a rear motor hub kit with 1000Watts. Here's another good thread that you should read:

If you're set on the 1000Watt front motor kit, then use the steel framed bike. 1000Watts is a lot of power.

Check out this thread about the Voilamart, looks like some people have had some luck, others not so much....

For the battery it can be hit and miss with cheap Chinese batteries. They always over rate the amp hours too, they almost always have less amp hours than stated. If you look closely in the ebay listing it actually says: Unbranded in the Item Specifics, so I don't think this battery is actually a brand.

You're better off going with something made from decent cells such as LG, Samsung, or Sony as it will definitely last longer and you might get a proper warranty too (rather than a promise from an ebayer who will not deliver on a warranty).

It's always a weigh up against price, if you're just starting out with ebikes and not too concerned then maybe just try and find a cheap battery with good reviews.

Hope that helps!

If the aluminum frame bike is the one you would like to use, then you would be best of using a rear motor hub kit with 1000Watts. Here's another good thread that you should read:

If you're set on the 1000Watt front motor kit, then use the steel framed bike. 1000Watts is a lot of power.

Check out this thread about the Voilamart, looks like some people have had some luck, others not so much....

For the battery it can be hit and miss with cheap Chinese batteries. They always over rate the amp hours too, they almost always have less amp hours than stated. If you look closely in the ebay listing it actually says: Unbranded in the Item Specifics, so I don't think this battery is actually a brand.

You're better off going with something made from decent cells such as LG, Samsung, or Sony as it will definitely last longer and you might get a proper warranty too (rather than a promise from an ebayer who will not deliver on a warranty).

It's always a weigh up against price, if you're just starting out with ebikes and not too concerned then maybe just try and find a cheap battery with good reviews.

Hope that helps!

Sorry for so many questions, but you've been very helpful. Seems like the 1000W 48V will work with my aluminum frame! :)
Though I wanted to ask, is if "UNIT POWER PACK" a brand? Cause I found a new battery that is 50 dollars more than the one listed above, but seems to have that as a brand, which means it might be better suited.
Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-48V-52...th-USB-BMS-for-250W-1000W-Motors/184037171957 (Jeez thats long)

I'll prob be going with the Voilamart motor since it seems pretty good, with a couple of failures, though I'll look into it more.

Thank you again so much for your help! It has helped so much to realize what to do and what not to do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
So what you want to be looking for is an ebike battery made with LG, Panasonic, Samsung or Sanyo cells - something that is well known rather than cheap crappy Chinese cells.

I'm not saying you should get the following battery, but you can see the price difference by selecting the "Chinese Cell Battery" and the "Brand Name Cell Battery":

So the chinese cell battery is cheaper but it wont last long as the brand name cells!

Last edited:
A good battery on an e-bike is everything. A cheap battery is a waste of time. My experience with Alibaba has been really bad with no customer service satisfaction. For reference ... I used to be a competitive rider and now at 65 and with arthritis the e-bike is wonderful. If not for my e-bike kit build I would not be able to ride. My battery is a 48 volt 17 amp hour and cost $650. Really happy with it but if I had it to do all over I would purchase a new bike with a 52 volt 19-20 amp hour battery for the hills and the range. In the long run well worth it.

Dang. Alright. If Ill be paying more for the battery, might as well upgrade the motor as well to a better and more trusted brand. Though that will delay my timeline. Gotta work a bit to be able to afford to put 7-8 hundred into it instead of 4-5 hundred. Thanks for all your help!

Dang. Alright. If Ill be paying more for the battery, might as well upgrade the motor as well to a better and more trusted brand. Though that will delay my timeline. Gotta work a bit to be able to afford to put 7-8 hundred into it instead of 4-5 hundred. Thanks for all your help!
Also, the link I sent last has a brand as Unit Power pack, but in all caps. What does this mean? Is it from that brand?

Hello from Kansas. Just got a Voilamart 1000 front wheel. Will be using a 2009 Townie Electra. If I decide to install it on the rear wheel is the only difference the sprocket that's supplied with the rear model? If so can't I just use my 7speed sprocket and attach it to the Voilamart? Its my first build. Thanks for any comments. Rick

Back