Manual pedalling for momentum then pedelec?

Ihor

Local time
5:18 AM
My wife wanted to know how to manually pedal to start in order to reduce load on battery when starting to ride, and then during pedelec, stop power and manual pedal for a while?

I will have (not bought yet) the Bosch LED Remote smart system controller. Nothing in the specs say there is a zero assist. Can I not just shut power off while pedalling, then when I need too and still pedalling, switch power on? I suppose I could stop the bike and do this.

I don't see why you couldn't keep it shut off. Depending on the motor you have, there may be some drag to overcome. It may be best to contact the manufacturer.

The normal way to do this is what @Chuy said it is. If Bosch is any different then you may have to wing it. But I bet they have a zero assist mode of some kind.

Normally people do the opposite. Ramp power up to get the bike started, and then dial it back when its on cruise. Everyone knows this is the opposite of efficient for the battery but it makes for the best riding experience. One of the things experienced cyclists have to learn is an ebike is only a bicycle shaped object... not a bicycle. It pays to throw out the rule book and learn the ebike as a totally different kind of system that you can gain benefits from in unexpected ways - and sometimes in ways that seem very naughty to a cyclist, like this.

I will have (not bought yet) the Bosch LED Remote smart system controller. Nothing in the specs say there is a zero assist. Can I not just shut power off while pedalling, then when I need too and still pedalling, switch power on? I suppose I could stop the bike and do this.
you can just barely pull the brake levers usually the motor is cut off before the brakes engage.

I don't have any Bosch systems, but I'm 95% sure there's a no-assist setting; it would be a liability for there not to be.

Shutting the system off is certainly possible, but it's better and faster to leave it on and just switch from zero assist to whatever she wants.

I will point out though that one of the key advantages to eBikes is letting them help you get moving; it saves a ton of strain on the knees.

Hah yeah an ebike with no motor is a bicycle :D

From what I have seen over the years, the only people who are trying to suss out the idea of riding an ebike with no power are people who have not owned one yet. The desire to grunt it out disappears when the actual riding experience happens. PAS level 1 is typically enough to ramp power down to the point where the added weight is canceled out and the ebike feels like a mere bicycle again.

Of course... there's always the weirdo here and there who loves to buck the trend so we'll probably get a post from them saying I'm wrong now :D

Hah yeah an ebike with no motor is a bicycle :D

From what I have seen over the years, the only people who are trying to suss out the idea of riding an ebike with no power are people who have not owned one yet. The desire to grunt it out disappears when the actual riding experience happens. PAS level 1 is typically enough to ramp power down to the point where the added weight is canceled out and the ebike feels like a mere bicycle again.

Of course... there's always the weirdo here and there who loves to buck the trend so we'll probably get a post from them saying I'm wrong now :D
Well, your eBikes tend to be TANKS, so I can understand your perspective.

I ride my Level.2 probably 20% of the time unpowered: if I'm happy at 10-13 mph and it is level ground, why use power that isn't needed when I've worked so hard on making my legs powerful all these years? When I hit a headwind or hill, it's a different story.

Same for the Portola, except maybe 5% of the time, as it had more rolling resistance. In my city, there is a lakefront bike path that is often full of pedestrian traffic, and there is no need for electric power to travel at a considerate pace on those paths. Between the phone zombies, earbud zombies, pets and clueless moms acting as if their stroller needs the whole path, the usual pace is probably ~ 8 mph.

This is probably very different from your usual use case, but I'm sure you get it. (just imagine an eBike weighing less than your 100 lb. behemoths and with a nice low gear, hehehe)

Go back and read my post again... I wasn't speaking of myself or my own experience, but of the population in general. I'll stand by what I said. Generally what people do is find a low PAS level lifts away the perception of weight, the bike feels just like a bike again and they ride it like that.

I have more light weight bikes than most people have bikes.

img_20200604_155933[1].jpg
img_20200105_131521[1].jpg

PXL_20220526_161910855.jpg
20230629_113025.jpg

Back