Mahle X20 Problems

prisondude

Local time
11:29 AM
I bought a new 2023 Mondraker Dusty R in November rode less than 12km and had stored the bike inside and kept at 80% charge for storage. I have turned it on periodically to make sure it turns on and then couple weeks ago was getting ready to take a ride and all the system would do is stay white on turning it on. I found myself trying everything from reflashing the firmware and now the bike is in for warranty and they have not a clue on how to fix it. They get no error codes but the bike motor does not assist and only remains white on the iwoc.I am wondering if I had the bad luck to get a faulty product and waiting on Mahle to respond on what to do with the bike. It seems like a garbage motor since it can not even last a single charge compare to the Bosch motor I had in my prior ebike. How common is it for these motors to fail since I can not find alot of people mentioning about the X20. The mahle support online does not really give answers on how or what the problem is. I am hoping the LBS provides a solution as when I had to bike it to them I was lugging around a paperweight.

I bought a new 2023 Mondraker Dusty R in November rode less than 12km and had stored the bike inside and kept at 80% charge for storage. I have turned it on periodically to make sure it turns on and then couple weeks ago was getting ready to take a ride and all the system would do is stay white on turning it on. I found myself trying everything from reflashing the firmware and now the bike is in for warranty and they have not a clue on how to fix it. They get no error codes but the bike motor does not assist and only remains white on the iwoc.I am wondering if I had the bad luck to get a faulty product and waiting on Mahle to respond on what to do with the bike. It seems like a garbage motor since it can not even last a single charge compare to the Bosch motor I had in my prior ebike. How common is it for these motors to fail since I can not find alot of people mentioning about the X20. The mahle support online does not really give answers on how or what the problem is. I am hoping the LBS provides a solution as when I had to bike it to them I was lugging around a paperweight.
OK, your first mistake was to leave the battery at 80% charge for long periods of time. The accepted practice is to keep the battery at between 50 and 60% for long-term storage. You need to periodically check the voltage of the battery by putting a volt meter on the contacts at the back of the battery. There are many charts that show you what voltage is relate to what percentage of battery charge depending on the battery voltage 36 48 52 60 V etc. Also, I hope you didn't keep it in an area that was subject to the really really cold conditions you have in your country during the winter. Even a mild climate here in the northwest part of the US I always keep my battery indoors during the winter months.

I would hope that the bike is still in warranty and that the company would honor that warranty by replacing it if they cannot fix the bike. That's what I would push for and push hard emails document your communications and if you bought it from a local bike shop push on them that's why you paid extra buying from them.

The bike was indoors and it was below 80% and it's less then a year old so should not be an issue I am hoping. But I honestly think it has a faulty motor as the bike doesn't change modes. 24 months is the warranty on a new bike but yeah I definitely pushing a warranty claim since it's way to new at my LBS. The battery is internal so you can't take them out on the x20 systems. Only a dealer can replace it there integrated

The bike was indoors and it was below 80% and it's less then a year old so should not be an issue I am hoping. But I honestly think it has a faulty motor as the bike doesn't change modes. 24 months is the warranty on a new bike but yeah I definitely pushing a warranty claim since it's way to new at my LBS. The battery is internal so you can't take them out on the x20 systems. Only a dealer can replace it there integrated
Well hope they do right and give you a new bike. At this point maybe get cash from them and buy a different bike I wouldn't want a bike where you can remove the battery for charging and replacement when necessary.

I am pretty sure its nothing to do with the battery, I have stored batteries at what ever the last ride drained out of them and they have always functioned after. The storage thing is more to do with battery longevity in terms of charge and discharge abilities.

If it switches on but doesn't assist, it is likely there is either a sensor malfunction, or a controller problem with regard to the sensor circuitry. As you say, you have repoked the firmware. Not sure why your LBS cant fix it, as usually they swap stuff out for known good to isolate the problem, or use mnf diagnostic software.

I am pretty sure its nothing to do with the battery, I have stored batteries at what ever the last ride drained out of them and they have always functioned after. The storage thing is more to do with battery longevity in terms of charge and discharge abilities.

If it switches on but doesn't assist, it is likely there is either a sensor malfunction, or a controller problem with regard to the sensor circuitry. As you say, you have repoked the firmware. Not sure why your LBS cant fix it, as usually they swap stuff out for known good to isolate the problem, or use mnf diagnostic software.
My LBS said there was nothing found in diagnostic software and forwarded the case to Mahle which low and behold have not told them what to do. Appears this problem is something they have not encountered. Still waiting for a resolution to this problem on what the outcome is.

Back